FLIPLOCK, 3sect, Al walmart pole -- modified to 6.9oz
Display Avatars Sort By:
Joe Geib
(joegeib) - F

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys
Re: FLIPLOCK, 3sect, Al walmart pole -- modified to 6.9oz on 05/31/2012 11:43:14 MDT Print View

Nice project. Here's mine:

I obtained the same poles from my local WM, and decided to make 2 sets of poles with them. They're cheap, and somewhat light, so why not? I also decided to make one pole of each pair into a monopod.

For the foam grips, I ordered the 0.5" ID grips. Since the poles are about 0.6" OD, these fit snugly, without any glue. I just put some dish soap inside the grip, and slid/twisted it on. There was some residual soap that I needed to hose out of the pole, but not too bad. For the monopod, I got a bolt, nut (1/4"-20 thread) and washer, and used gorilla glue to adhere the threaded plate to the inside of the top of the pole, inverted it, and let the glue set.

I tried using one of those expanding rubber nuts, but it didn't secure down well enough for my liking. Also, I had issues with the longevity of using a nylon nut as well.

In the end, it's about 15oz per pair. Not much lighter than other store-bought aluminum poles, but certainly a lot cheaper.

MYO poles 1

MYO Poles 2

Joe Geib
(joegeib) - F

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys
Re: Use Update on 12/07/2012 14:17:13 MST Print View

How has the wear and use been for everyone so far?

I really like these poles. They're collapsible, fairly light, and CHEAP, so I don't mind beating on them - as opposed to my BPL CF Stix. One of my observations is that the tips wore down REALLY fast (like under 100 miles). A little disappointed, but I changed them out for some Leki tips that I got at REI. Have yet to test them out.

Worn tips
tip-bad

Good tips (BPL CF Stix)
BPL Stix tip

New tips
(uploaded later)

scott Nelson
(nlsscott) - MLife

Locale: So. Calif.
Camera screw could be a hazard on 12/07/2012 19:44:09 MST Print View

I like the idea of using the trekking pole as a monopod. But I don't like that screw pointed toward my face. Ski pole manufacturers consciously make the top of poles large so if you fall on to them they won't poke your eye. (Like the old joke: give me that BB gun and a glass eye for his brother...)

Joe Medlin
(kc_joe)
cork? on 11/22/2013 13:40:50 MST Print View

Anyone still doing this mod? Picked upa pair from Walmart. Was thinking about doing cork grips. Looking for suggestions on the best place to get them.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Hairspray on 11/22/2013 22:02:59 MST Print View

I dunno if anyone will find this tip useful, but "back in the day" when I was building bicycles, the hot tip for sliding on a foam handlebar was hairspray. It's slick for the first few seconds, then sets up like contact cement. I have bikes with foam grips that have lasted for 15 years, using the hairspray method, with nary a slip.

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
Pole mod on 11/23/2013 21:02:15 MST Print View

Very informative thread. Thank you, OP. Delmar, thanks for the hairspray tip. Just what I was looking for.

But kicking myself. Recently bought a Locus pole, and could have done the mod and come out at the same weight. Maybe lighter with GG grips. Those EVA tube grips might make great extension sleeves for choking the pole, much lighter than heavy rubber cut down golf grips.

Will finish off adding an extension sleeve to the Locus pole, and then do the mod to the Wallies, and see which work better and last longer. So not all is lost. There will always be the backup pole.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Cork handles on 11/23/2013 21:23:06 MST Print View

The fork handles on fishing poles are made with stacked rings glued in place. They can be shaped with files and sandpaper.

http://www.corkspecialties.net/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?search=action&category=0007&keywords=all

Fishing pole parts suppliers carry EVA down grips too

mike meiers
(IntoWild) - M

Locale: SoCal
GG Cork Grips? on 01/16/2014 16:19:12 MST Print View

Has anyone tried fitting the GG cork grips to the walmart poles? I noticed its about 1/10" difference - GG Grips are .5" ID the pole is .6" OD...so not sure if cork can easily expand (i.e w/moderate heat from blow dryer, etc)

Thanks for great thread...

Rick .
(overheadview) - F

Locale: NYC
Thanks! on 01/17/2014 12:01:45 MST Print View

I bought and modified one of these, seems sturdy.

My final weight was 9.5oz, I used a grip and foam lower grip from another pole, I liked the feel of those grips so didn't bother investing more $$ for weight savings.

The boil-off method of removing the handles saved me so much grief!

Rick .
(overheadview) - F

Locale: NYC
Re: Camera screw could be a hazard on 01/17/2014 12:08:12 MST Print View

I really wanted to do this, but I figured the same, you'll poke your eye out!

I cut a flat section on the top to set my backpacking camera (Canon S90) down on, I can reach a finger up to steady the camera to the pole, and use my other hand to operate.

It will give a lot of extra stability with no downside, the thing is already in my hand most of the time. Useful in long-shutter-speed situations with lower light shots.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: Re: Camera screw could be a hazard on 01/17/2014 12:19:44 MST Print View

simple suggestion:
instead of using the screw hole at the bottom of the camera, and adding a screw to the trek pole, how about this:

use velcro.

shave the trek pole top to be flat or semi-flat.
stick the soft fuzzy velcro to the top knob of the pole.

next stick the slightly rough velcro to the bottom of the camera.

it would be faster to velcro on and off when trying to snap a photo of the elusive wildlife, than to mess with screwing and unscrewing bulky objects.

and it's safe to the eye.

also, more people are using SmartPhones cameras, that do not have a screw hole.

same concept, stick velcro to the smartphone case.

Daniel Pittman
(pitsy) - M

Locale: Central Texas
Re: Re: FLIPLOCK, 3sect, Al walmart pole -- modified to 6.9oz on 01/17/2014 20:06:56 MST Print View

Is that camera mount screw BSW thread or UNC?

mike meiers
(IntoWild) - M

Locale: SoCal
Going with Mudhole grips on 01/18/2014 11:48:59 MST Print View

I decided to go with the foam grips suggested above. I ordered the 6x1/2 and will trim to my liking when I get 'em.

I happen to have a pair of older REI Summit aluminum, two section, twist-lock poles that I bought for my children years ago. I still use them but only when I go snowshoeing / ice&snow hiking. Im not really a pole guy for regular hiking - I honestly cant stand the constant clickity-clak noise they make when people are hiking with them - but to each his own - even if it bothers the rest of us. A great invention for the MYOG group would be a completely silent hiking pole (leave it at home?) Ha. But I digress... Anyway, Ive never had problems with the twist lock suddenly collapsing, etc. However, I never really liked the stock hard rubber grip, so this BPL thread was perfect.

After boiling them in some water, the grips slid off and they now weigh 4 7/8 oz each, basket included. The OD of the pole at the grip area is 0.6". Ill post the final weight when I install the new Mudhole grips and the old straps. And when Im all done, Ill leave them at home :)

Edited by IntoWild on 01/18/2014 11:50:39 MST.

William F
(wkf) - F

Locale: PNW
Has anyone bought one of these in Portland, OR area? on 02/08/2014 18:24:16 MST Print View

Has anyone found these Outdoor Products single camlock trekking poles in the Portland, OR area?

I had an idea for a camera mount on a trekking pole. These are easily found at your local bike shop for a few bucks, http://www.jensonusa.com/!RU40Jf331q6dyZ8bs7ClvQ!/Planet-Bike-Clamp-Kit?utm_source=FRGL&utm_medium=organic&gclid=CLS7ovfvvbwCFU5efgodpyQAPA.

You could epoxy the male part to your camera or something like that. The female part moves vertically once secured to the trekking pole. I haven't done this but the bracket weighs a few grams, costs a couple bucks new, and has the ability to swivel vertically.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
FLIPLOCK, 3sect, Al walmart pole -- modified to 6.9oz(tripod mount) on 02/08/2014 18:40:31 MST Print View

Going back to that tripod screw sticking out...
This could work.
Get hold of a champagne cork top.
Cut off the bit that goes inside the bottle.
Drill a hole in the base so that you can screw this adaptor inside it :
tripod mount adaptor
(called tripod mount thread adaptor)
put some glue on the outside of the thread so that it will stay in place.
you now have a cork top that can screw on and off that tripod screw.

Maris L
(Ablaut) - M
Re: FLIPLOCK, 3sect, Al walmart pole -- modified to 6.9oz on 08/22/2014 22:17:01 MDT Print View

For those of you who have replaced the stock grips with foam, what are you using to plug the hole at the top of the grip?