Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » FLIPLOCK, 3sect, Al walmart pole -- modified to 6.9oz

Display Avatars Sort By:
Keith Bassett
(keith_bassett)

Locale: Pacific NW
Amazon Vs Walmart on 04/18/2012 12:10:05 MDT Print View

Same company logo on the two, but they might be different...

The color is diff. But when I went to the outdoor products site referenced earlier in the thread it only listed two poles. One twist and one camlock, and they list amazon in places to buy their gear.

I am willing to be wrong on this. :)

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Re: Amazon Vs Walmart on 04/18/2012 12:26:27 MDT Print View

They are the same. I have both the orange and green ones from Walmart. Maybe "Outdoor Recreation Group" is the parent company that makes Outdoor Products? They are cheaper at Walmart. I think one was $15 when I checked a month ago.

>When going downhill, I some times like to place my hand on the top of the pole.
Rusty,
I do the same. Perhaps make a little mound of silicone caulk (might stuff something into the tube first to give it a base).

Keith Bassett
(keith_bassett)

Re: Re: Re: Re: FLIPLOCK, 3sect, Al walmart pole -- modified to 6.9oz on 04/18/2012 12:26:39 MDT Print View

Rusty,

Perhaps you could put one of these on the end of your handle to let you utilize the top?

Kind of cool how much stuff from fishing poles seems to be applicable to trekking poles. I guess there are only so many ways to put your hand around a metal pole. :)

John Nausieda
(Meander) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Amazon Vs Walmart on 04/18/2012 12:28:39 MDT Print View

They look different to me and on Ebay the majority of "Outdoor Products" Trekking poles are green or blue.

John Nausieda
(Meander) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Amazon Vs Walmart on 04/18/2012 12:56:42 MDT Print View

OK I figured it out by using the product number at Walmart.CAP001WM They are made by Outdoor Products. Best deal is at Kittery Trading Post which has great reviews at Reseller Ratings. $16.99 . Free shipping if you are over $24.99.
http://www.kitterytradingpost.com/product.php/prodid/44017

I bought 2 , 1 left at Kittery. They tried to order more last November but the order didn't go through. The product # and model haven't changed. They will try to restock. I may end up with one green and one blue but so what.

Edited by Meander on 04/18/2012 13:06:38 MDT.

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Amazon Vs Walmart on 04/18/2012 13:21:50 MDT Print View

I'm pretty sure they are still cheaper at Walmart. It seemed they were still $14.88 for one flick-lock and $18.88 for a pair of the TWIST-lock version.

Pete Acker
(pka45) - F
Walmart on 04/18/2012 13:39:59 MDT Print View

Michael - that's what my Walmart has them for too.

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Locale: Presence
Thanks, Micheal and Keith! on 04/18/2012 14:56:57 MDT Print View

Pete,

I was looking around on your blog and noticed that you initially attached your straps from the top with an expansion nut. What was it about that method you didn't like? Also, have you tested out your newer method yet...with the rivets? I bear so much weight on my straps at times I'd be afraid that the rivet would break.

One last question: Do you think the original grips could be reused again after boiling to get them off?

Pete Acker
(pka45) - F
Straps on 04/18/2012 16:04:47 MDT Print View

Hi Rusty,

I haven't tested the rivets yet, but they feel very solid. However, they are aluminum; if they failed I could always get stainless steel rivets to replace them.

I tried the expansion bolts, but never could keep them from wiggling around - they never felt solid. Even tried epoxying them in, but couldn't get them as snug as I wanted.

I threw away the stock grips, but as I recall, I think you could have reused them.

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Re: Straps on 04/18/2012 16:17:50 MDT Print View

Thanks, Pete!

Man, wish I could find some contoured, inexpensive and light ergo grips like Gossamer Gear sells. I may make some out of blocks of minicell foam I have. Might be a bit squishy...but maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing.

Pete Acker
(pka45) - F
Grips on 04/18/2012 16:41:32 MDT Print View

You're quite welcome. You could potentially "carve" the foam grips with a sharp knife...

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: Thanks, Micheal and Keith! on 04/18/2012 19:53:24 MDT Print View

Rusty. The grip is fine. It was glued on. It comes off very easily. It would be great for a camera grip or for a potato gun grip.

Joe Geib
(joegeib) - F

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys
Re: Walmart on 04/19/2012 09:07:24 MDT Print View

Alas, my WM only has the twist-lock ones. anyone care to buy and ship?

Daniel Cox
(COHiker) - F

Locale: San Isabel NF
Re: Another place to grab them on 04/19/2012 13:53:51 MDT Print View

>How do these compare to the $27 screw lock ones from Costco? Anyone?

Costco pole weights on my kitchen scale:
Factory spec: 8.1 oz per pole (232g each)
Long foam handle removed: 7.95oz (226g)
Mud Basket removed: 7.7oz (218g)
Wrist strap removed: 7.25oz (205g)

I'm sure an enterprising fellow could remove the plastic/cork/foam grip and replace it with a minimalist-style EVA one for more weight savings, if that was important. A very ambitious person could possibly even remove the unnecessary spring parts of the anti-shock mechanism. I've looked at it, but chickened out before I made any irreversible mods.
Black Diamond sells not only flicklock CF poles, but replacement flicklocks for $3 each. Just sayin'...

My wild guess would put the poles under 6 oz each if all the above was done.

Keith Bassett
(keith_bassett)

Re: Re: Another place to grab them on 04/19/2012 14:03:34 MDT Print View

Thanks Daniel.

I don't know that I am brave enough to buy and modify them with flicklocks either...

:)

Rob Jones
(robj)

Locale: Washington, D.C.
Wally World has a bunch on 04/19/2012 15:43:18 MDT Print View

My local Wally World has about 10 individual poles, split between Green Apple color and an electric blue. They are going for $13.88 each. I picked up a pair since my older REI/Komperdell poles are twist locks and starting to fail. I checked them, without grips/baskets they came in at 6.2oz and with some cheap foam grips would still be respectable. Might tear some of these apart to try to make a reliable set of pole extenders to use with my DuoMid.

I could possibly pick these up and ship if someone really needs them.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Wally World has a bunch on 04/19/2012 17:00:32 MDT Print View

The Wally World poles are OK, but I recommend tightening up the screws before you start out on your first trip.

I have one, and I waited until the pole was immersed in cold water, which caused the parts to contract at different rates, which caused the joints to slip badly. If you tighten the screws in advance, this is not a problem.

--B.G.--

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
pole straps on 04/27/2012 01:30:02 MDT Print View

@ Rusty > Commenting on the proper use of pole straps is not "hijacking" the thread. The OP commented that he may attatch straps and posts on WHY they are good are very germaine to this topic.

And from what I see on many trails probably 1/3 of hikers using poles don't know the proper use of straps. It is in those circumstances that pole straps are TRULY extra weight because they are not helping the hikers.

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Re: Walmart prices / straps on 04/27/2012 06:17:29 MDT Print View

I just checked again and my Walmart has the Flick-locks in green and orange for $13.88 each and the twist locks for $19.97/pair.

Eric PM'd me re: proper strap technique and that is the way I did it when I did try the straps a couple years back. I however did not find that any more comfortable than how I do it now, and I also agree with Skurka that it made it impossible to drop the pole if it got caught in something to keep it from bending/breaking (or throw it at a charging bear - LOL).

With the new grips suggested here, I suspect I would have to go back to straps since they are not contoured, which would require me to have a much firmer hold than I do now. I rely on the flare at the bottom to use a light hold on the pole.

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Re: pole straps on 04/27/2012 09:27:23 MDT Print View

Eric,

Thanks for pointing out my major blunder. Thought I used the term "derailed" though. Oh, I'm such a screw up!!!