FLIPLOCK, 3sect, Al walmart pole -- modified to 6.9oz
Display Avatars Sort By:
James Klein
(jnklein21) - M

Locale: Southeast
FLIPLOCK, 3sect, Al walmart pole -- modified to 6.9oz on 07/07/2011 20:15:49 MDT Print View

I recently picked one of these Outdoor Product fliplock trekking pole (pimped out by Eric Chan & others:)).

http://www.outdoorproducts.com/Products/trekking-pole-latch-lock-system/90

Being interested in trying the Tigoat style grips (smooth eva grips) and noticing the how heavy the stock handle felt (semi tongue n cheek) I decided to modify the poles.

Without snow basket these weighted ~10ozs (I think they were 10.2, but who's counting)

Utilizing my cheapo dremel I spilt the stock grip lengthwise and pried it off. In its place I put one of these:

http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/EVA-Grips/EVA-Foam-Foregrips
I bought the 6"long X .5"ID and trimmed the length down to ~4.5". The foam grip slipped on with some minor effort (pole OD is ~.6") but went easy enough - the gorrila glue probably helped to slide it on..

For those who might be interested in wrist straps see this thread for a great solution (thanks Greg):

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=31792&skip_to_post=271963#271963

grip closeup

weight

Final weight is 6.9oz for the one pole. Collapsed length is ~24" and fully expanded this are about 54". Total cost was about $20 and time invested modifying was probably 45mins.

James

Edited by jnklein21 on 07/08/2011 19:22:50 MDT.

Mat Tallman
(wehtaM) - F

Locale: Midwest
grips on 07/08/2011 19:05:58 MDT Print View

Did you use anything to adhere the grips to the pole?

When I first did my MYOG poles, I didn't use any glue, and the first time out, the grips wanted to slip down on the poles, and poke through the top of the grips, very annoying.

Gossamer gear suggested using gorilla glue (this is still funny to me) which I used with great success, no more grips slipping on the poles. If you didn't use any adhesive to keep the grips from slipping, I'd recommend it before taking them out on a longer hike, or you might end up frustrated with their performance.

James Klein
(jnklein21) - M

Re: grips on 07/08/2011 19:26:14 MDT Print View

Mat, I did use gorrila glue, you can just see where it leaked out in the second picture -- thanks for the comment though I edited the OP to show the glue was used.

James

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
excellent on 07/09/2011 10:32:40 MDT Print View

really good. Very respectable weight for the $, makes on wonder why so many poles out there weight > 8oz each.

Is it possible to heat-mold the eva grip to the hand better? Heat in boiling water and then squeeze in a gloved hand till cool or such?

Chris H
(-NXP-) - F

Locale: Upper Midwest
found them on 07/09/2011 19:15:33 MDT Print View

I couldn't find those poles at the local Wallyworld, but they've downsized their camping section to an endcap. I did find them at the local farm store - if you can believe that.

I can see where you lost so much weight from the grips, but the locking clasps look way overbuilt for what they are also. I wonder if any reductions could be made from them as well.

Almost picked one up, but will probably check the Wallyworld across town on Monday - farm store was a little more expensive than I expected.

C

James Klein
(jnklein21) - M

Re: excellent on 07/09/2011 20:50:08 MDT Print View

"Very respectable weight for the $"
Yep that's what I was going for. Also, I really like adjustable over fixedlength and the fliplocks over twistlocks (always end up getting frustrated with those...but some appear to have little/to no trouble out of them). And these seem really stout.

"makes on wonder why so many poles out there weight > 8oz each"
yeah I was thing the same thing. I bet one of the cottage guys could come up with a 2section, Al pole with similiar grips for about 5-6oz.

"Is it possible to heat-mold the eva grip to the hand better?"
I dunno, I was mainly interested in trying the slight tapered grip but...the eva is really stiff. I thought I'd be able to sqeeze them down more, instead the hold their shape very well, I'm gonna try them as is first but if I don't like the fit I will probably look into trying to shape them (maybe the dremel...). Heat molding would be something to look into, maybe josh @ tigoat can give input on this one? Of course the grip I bought cost less than $3 so it be cheap and easy enought to try.

James Klein
(jnklein21) - M

Re: found them on 07/09/2011 20:53:59 MDT Print View

I didn't find this one at my local walmart either, bought it at walmart.com. After this project I decided I would pick up another (only bought the one for trial use). Walmart.com didn't have this one so I bought it from amazon for a little more (maybe $17+ship)

Interesting that a farm store carried them...

Edited to add: Yeah the fliplock hardwear feels very stout. Together these weight about 1.4oz / pole (about .7oz/fliplock). I bet you could easily get away with lighter ones (less material). Not sure if I am ready to pull out the drill yet, though...

Edited by jnklein21 on 07/09/2011 21:18:00 MDT.

Pete Acker
(pka45) - F
Another strap method on 04/18/2012 06:18:54 MDT Print View

Hi all,

I did this little project and love the poles. I came up with another way to attach the straps, at almost no weight penalty, that I think works great:

http://elkprep.blogspot.com/2012/04/diy-trekking-pole-update-straps.html

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Re: Another strap method on 04/18/2012 09:21:30 MDT Print View

Nice job. Why do you consider straps essential? I never use mine. I keep meaning to cut them off.

Pete Acker
(pka45) - F
Straps on 04/18/2012 09:28:07 MDT Print View

I know a lot of folks don't use them, and I certainly don't profess to be an expert on trekking pole usage, but I use them every/all the time I'm using my poles. Saves my grip, I think, since with my wrists in the straps (as I tried to include a pic on there) I almost don't have to even hold onto the pole to plant it, just have to keep light finger pressure around the foam grips while the straps hold the weight.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
A strapping young man. Well, not so young. on 04/18/2012 09:31:37 MDT Print View

I'm not a pole guy in summer, but for snowshoeing and skiing, straps are essential in my mind. If I did use poles in summer, I'd have straps on them.

If the strap is the right length, you can pass your hand UP through the straps and bring your hand DOWN with the strap between your thumb and hand. Now you can grip the pole very lightly even when you exert great force through it. The strap tranmits force from your wrist to the pole, and you use the larger muscles of your forearm and upper arm, rather than the small muscles of your hand and fingers to grip the pole more tightly.

My paradigm is if I'm only putting a few pounds through the pole, why bother with poles at all? But if I'm putting 20-30-40 pounds of force through the pole, I want the strap to do that for me because I don't have Popeye's forearms. "I yam what I yam."

Pete Acker
(pka45) - F
Strapping on 04/18/2012 09:34:03 MDT Print View

Exactly David, that's what I was trying to say as well. And I'm like you, I don't use poles for everyday trail backpacking, but they're indispensable for rough off-trail terrain with large loads of elk meat!

Mark Dijkstra
(Markacd) - F
Straps on 04/18/2012 10:41:26 MDT Print View

I use my poles like that as well. I rarely hold my pole with more than 3 fingerstips. The straps basicly enable you to use your poles like pacerpoles, only without the weight.

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: FLIPLOCK, 3sect, Al walmart pole -- modified to 6.9oz on 04/18/2012 11:01:09 MDT Print View

Was excited to see this thread. Hope it doesn't get derailed any more with the straps vs no straps debate though.

At any rate, in a pinch, I bought these poles a couple yrs ago and ended up really liking them. Always wondered how to make them lighter though. Even thought about filling them with holes...at the expense of strength. Another idea was to retrofit the cork grips Gossamer Gear sells. http://gossamergear.com/trekking/trekking-accessories/lightrek-replacement-grips.html I really like the idea of an ergo grip...though admittingly, I have not tried poles with Tigoat style grips. They are certainly a lot less money than the GG cork grips at $22.50 plus whatever shipping would be (GG reportedly has spendy shipping too).

Pete Acker had a good idea with a simple and light strap mounting method with the foam grips. Figuring out a way to pad, or cap, the top would be good for those of us who utilize the top. Ideas, anyone?

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: Re: FLIPLOCK, 3sect, Al walmart pole -- modified to 6.9oz on 04/18/2012 11:39:51 MDT Print View

Yes. Nice posts. I will boil the handle off tonight. I think I have some foam bike handle bar tape some where.

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Re: Re: FLIPLOCK, 3sect, Al walmart pole -- modified to 6.9oz on 04/18/2012 11:45:53 MDT Print View

Utilize the top for what? There are lots of ways you could pad or cap it but what are you trying to accomplish by doing so?

As for straps, I'm more along the lines of Skurka I guess, finding them more trouble and weight than they are worth (for backpacking). I have a light grip on the poles, even going uphill, yet exert a fair bit of force on them. Of course, the OEM grip makes that pretty easy since it is contoured. Having a straight grip may cause me issues.

Keith Bassett
(keith_bassett)

Locale: Pacific NW
Another place to grab them on 04/18/2012 11:47:32 MDT Print View

Amazon has em cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Products-CAP001-Trekking-Pole/dp/B002QG1EMO/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1334771363&sr=1-1

If you have prime, they show up at $20. Pretty cheap really.

How do these compare to the $27 screw lock ones from Costco? Anyone?

Edit: Link seems to not be sticking in the code. Oy.

Edited by keith_bassett on 04/18/2012 11:51:25 MDT.

John Nausieda
(Meander) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Another place to grab them on 04/18/2012 11:58:29 MDT Print View

Are these really the same? Note color and name at Walmart is NOT "Outdoor Products".
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Recreation-Group-Single-Trekking-Pole-With-Camlock/10928566

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Re: Re: Re: FLIPLOCK, 3sect, Al walmart pole -- modified to 6.9oz on 04/18/2012 12:03:57 MDT Print View

"Utilize the top for what? There are lots of ways you could pad or cap it but what are you trying to accomplish by doing so"?

When going downhill, I some times like to place my hand on the top of the pole.

Charles Tufankjian
(ctufankjian)

Locale: New Hampshire
Sweet! on 04/18/2012 12:09:51 MDT Print View

This is great! I need poles, and this seems like a fun little modification on the cheap. Just ordered my grips.

Keith Bassett
(keith_bassett)

Amazon Vs Walmart on 04/18/2012 12:10:05 MDT Print View

Same company logo on the two, but they might be different...

The color is diff. But when I went to the outdoor products site referenced earlier in the thread it only listed two poles. One twist and one camlock, and they list amazon in places to buy their gear.

I am willing to be wrong on this. :)

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Re: Amazon Vs Walmart on 04/18/2012 12:26:27 MDT Print View

They are the same. I have both the orange and green ones from Walmart. Maybe "Outdoor Recreation Group" is the parent company that makes Outdoor Products? They are cheaper at Walmart. I think one was $15 when I checked a month ago.

>When going downhill, I some times like to place my hand on the top of the pole.
Rusty,
I do the same. Perhaps make a little mound of silicone caulk (might stuff something into the tube first to give it a base).

Keith Bassett
(keith_bassett)

Re: Re: Re: Re: FLIPLOCK, 3sect, Al walmart pole -- modified to 6.9oz on 04/18/2012 12:26:39 MDT Print View

Rusty,

Perhaps you could put one of these on the end of your handle to let you utilize the top?

Kind of cool how much stuff from fishing poles seems to be applicable to trekking poles. I guess there are only so many ways to put your hand around a metal pole. :)

John Nausieda
(Meander) - MLife

Re: Amazon Vs Walmart on 04/18/2012 12:28:39 MDT Print View

They look different to me and on Ebay the majority of "Outdoor Products" Trekking poles are green or blue.

John Nausieda
(Meander) - MLife

Re: Re: Amazon Vs Walmart on 04/18/2012 12:56:42 MDT Print View

OK I figured it out by using the product number at Walmart.CAP001WM They are made by Outdoor Products. Best deal is at Kittery Trading Post which has great reviews at Reseller Ratings. $16.99 . Free shipping if you are over $24.99.
http://www.kitterytradingpost.com/product.php/prodid/44017

I bought 2 , 1 left at Kittery. They tried to order more last November but the order didn't go through. The product # and model haven't changed. They will try to restock. I may end up with one green and one blue but so what.

Edited by Meander on 04/18/2012 13:06:38 MDT.

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Amazon Vs Walmart on 04/18/2012 13:21:50 MDT Print View

I'm pretty sure they are still cheaper at Walmart. It seemed they were still $14.88 for one flick-lock and $18.88 for a pair of the TWIST-lock version.

Pete Acker
(pka45) - F
Walmart on 04/18/2012 13:39:59 MDT Print View

Michael - that's what my Walmart has them for too.

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Thanks, Micheal and Keith! on 04/18/2012 14:56:57 MDT Print View

Pete,

I was looking around on your blog and noticed that you initially attached your straps from the top with an expansion nut. What was it about that method you didn't like? Also, have you tested out your newer method yet...with the rivets? I bear so much weight on my straps at times I'd be afraid that the rivet would break.

One last question: Do you think the original grips could be reused again after boiling to get them off?

Pete Acker
(pka45) - F
Straps on 04/18/2012 16:04:47 MDT Print View

Hi Rusty,

I haven't tested the rivets yet, but they feel very solid. However, they are aluminum; if they failed I could always get stainless steel rivets to replace them.

I tried the expansion bolts, but never could keep them from wiggling around - they never felt solid. Even tried epoxying them in, but couldn't get them as snug as I wanted.

I threw away the stock grips, but as I recall, I think you could have reused them.

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Re: Straps on 04/18/2012 16:17:50 MDT Print View

Thanks, Pete!

Man, wish I could find some contoured, inexpensive and light ergo grips like Gossamer Gear sells. I may make some out of blocks of minicell foam I have. Might be a bit squishy...but maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing.

Pete Acker
(pka45) - F
Grips on 04/18/2012 16:41:32 MDT Print View

You're quite welcome. You could potentially "carve" the foam grips with a sharp knife...

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: Thanks, Micheal and Keith! on 04/18/2012 19:53:24 MDT Print View

Rusty. The grip is fine. It was glued on. It comes off very easily. It would be great for a camera grip or for a potato gun grip.

Joe Geib
(joegeib) - F

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys
Re: Walmart on 04/19/2012 09:07:24 MDT Print View

Alas, my WM only has the twist-lock ones. anyone care to buy and ship?

Daniel Cox
(COHiker) - F

Locale: San Isabel NF
Re: Another place to grab them on 04/19/2012 13:53:51 MDT Print View

>How do these compare to the $27 screw lock ones from Costco? Anyone?

Costco pole weights on my kitchen scale:
Factory spec: 8.1 oz per pole (232g each)
Long foam handle removed: 7.95oz (226g)
Mud Basket removed: 7.7oz (218g)
Wrist strap removed: 7.25oz (205g)

I'm sure an enterprising fellow could remove the plastic/cork/foam grip and replace it with a minimalist-style EVA one for more weight savings, if that was important. A very ambitious person could possibly even remove the unnecessary spring parts of the anti-shock mechanism. I've looked at it, but chickened out before I made any irreversible mods.
Black Diamond sells not only flicklock CF poles, but replacement flicklocks for $3 each. Just sayin'...

My wild guess would put the poles under 6 oz each if all the above was done.

Keith Bassett
(keith_bassett)

Re: Re: Another place to grab them on 04/19/2012 14:03:34 MDT Print View

Thanks Daniel.

I don't know that I am brave enough to buy and modify them with flicklocks either...

:)

Rob Jones
(robj)

Locale: Washington, D.C.
Wally World has a bunch on 04/19/2012 15:43:18 MDT Print View

My local Wally World has about 10 individual poles, split between Green Apple color and an electric blue. They are going for $13.88 each. I picked up a pair since my older REI/Komperdell poles are twist locks and starting to fail. I checked them, without grips/baskets they came in at 6.2oz and with some cheap foam grips would still be respectable. Might tear some of these apart to try to make a reliable set of pole extenders to use with my DuoMid.

I could possibly pick these up and ship if someone really needs them.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Wally World has a bunch on 04/19/2012 17:00:32 MDT Print View

The Wally World poles are OK, but I recommend tightening up the screws before you start out on your first trip.

I have one, and I waited until the pole was immersed in cold water, which caused the parts to contract at different rates, which caused the joints to slip badly. If you tighten the screws in advance, this is not a problem.

--B.G.--

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
pole straps on 04/27/2012 01:30:02 MDT Print View

@ Rusty > Commenting on the proper use of pole straps is not "hijacking" the thread. The OP commented that he may attatch straps and posts on WHY they are good are very germaine to this topic.

And from what I see on many trails probably 1/3 of hikers using poles don't know the proper use of straps. It is in those circumstances that pole straps are TRULY extra weight because they are not helping the hikers.

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Re: Walmart prices / straps on 04/27/2012 06:17:29 MDT Print View

I just checked again and my Walmart has the Flick-locks in green and orange for $13.88 each and the twist locks for $19.97/pair.

Eric PM'd me re: proper strap technique and that is the way I did it when I did try the straps a couple years back. I however did not find that any more comfortable than how I do it now, and I also agree with Skurka that it made it impossible to drop the pole if it got caught in something to keep it from bending/breaking (or throw it at a charging bear - LOL).

With the new grips suggested here, I suspect I would have to go back to straps since they are not contoured, which would require me to have a much firmer hold than I do now. I rely on the flare at the bottom to use a light hold on the pole.

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Re: pole straps on 04/27/2012 09:27:23 MDT Print View

Eric,

Thanks for pointing out my major blunder. Thought I used the term "derailed" though. Oh, I'm such a screw up!!!

Joe Geib
(joegeib) - F

Re: FLIPLOCK, 3sect, Al walmart pole -- modified to 6.9oz on 05/31/2012 11:43:14 MDT Print View

Nice project. Here's mine:

I obtained the same poles from my local WM, and decided to make 2 sets of poles with them. They're cheap, and somewhat light, so why not? I also decided to make one pole of each pair into a monopod.

For the foam grips, I ordered the 0.5" ID grips. Since the poles are about 0.6" OD, these fit snugly, without any glue. I just put some dish soap inside the grip, and slid/twisted it on. There was some residual soap that I needed to hose out of the pole, but not too bad. For the monopod, I got a bolt, nut (1/4"-20 thread) and washer, and used gorilla glue to adhere the threaded plate to the inside of the top of the pole, inverted it, and let the glue set.

I tried using one of those expanding rubber nuts, but it didn't secure down well enough for my liking. Also, I had issues with the longevity of using a nylon nut as well.

In the end, it's about 15oz per pair. Not much lighter than other store-bought aluminum poles, but certainly a lot cheaper.

MYO poles 1

MYO Poles 2

Joe Geib
(joegeib) - F

Re: Use Update on 12/07/2012 14:17:13 MST Print View

How has the wear and use been for everyone so far?

I really like these poles. They're collapsible, fairly light, and CHEAP, so I don't mind beating on them - as opposed to my BPL CF Stix. One of my observations is that the tips wore down REALLY fast (like under 100 miles). A little disappointed, but I changed them out for some Leki tips that I got at REI. Have yet to test them out.

Worn tips
tip-bad

Good tips (BPL CF Stix)
BPL Stix tip

New tips
(uploaded later)

scott Nelson
(nlsscott) - MLife

Locale: So. Calif.
Camera screw could be a hazard on 12/07/2012 19:44:09 MST Print View

I like the idea of using the trekking pole as a monopod. But I don't like that screw pointed toward my face. Ski pole manufacturers consciously make the top of poles large so if you fall on to them they won't poke your eye. (Like the old joke: give me that BB gun and a glass eye for his brother...)

Joe Medlin
(kc_joe) - F
cork? on 11/22/2013 13:40:50 MST Print View

Anyone still doing this mod? Picked upa pair from Walmart. Was thinking about doing cork grips. Looking for suggestions on the best place to get them.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Hairspray on 11/22/2013 22:02:59 MST Print View

I dunno if anyone will find this tip useful, but "back in the day" when I was building bicycles, the hot tip for sliding on a foam handlebar was hairspray. It's slick for the first few seconds, then sets up like contact cement. I have bikes with foam grips that have lasted for 15 years, using the hairspray method, with nary a slip.

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
Pole mod on 11/23/2013 21:02:15 MST Print View

Very informative thread. Thank you, OP. Delmar, thanks for the hairspray tip. Just what I was looking for.

But kicking myself. Recently bought a Locus pole, and could have done the mod and come out at the same weight. Maybe lighter with GG grips. Those EVA tube grips might make great extension sleeves for choking the pole, much lighter than heavy rubber cut down golf grips.

Will finish off adding an extension sleeve to the Locus pole, and then do the mod to the Wallies, and see which work better and last longer. So not all is lost. There will always be the backup pole.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Cork handles on 11/23/2013 21:23:06 MST Print View

The fork handles on fishing poles are made with stacked rings glued in place. They can be shaped with files and sandpaper.

http://www.corkspecialties.net/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?search=action&category=0007&keywords=all

Fishing pole parts suppliers carry EVA down grips too

mike meiers
(IntoWild) - M

Locale: SoCal
GG Cork Grips? on 01/16/2014 16:19:12 MST Print View

Has anyone tried fitting the GG cork grips to the walmart poles? I noticed its about 1/10" difference - GG Grips are .5" ID the pole is .6" OD...so not sure if cork can easily expand (i.e w/moderate heat from blow dryer, etc)

Thanks for great thread...

Rick .
(overheadview) - F

Locale: NYC
Thanks! on 01/17/2014 12:01:45 MST Print View

I bought and modified one of these, seems sturdy.

My final weight was 9.5oz, I used a grip and foam lower grip from another pole, I liked the feel of those grips so didn't bother investing more $$ for weight savings.

The boil-off method of removing the handles saved me so much grief!

Rick .
(overheadview) - F

Locale: NYC
Re: Camera screw could be a hazard on 01/17/2014 12:08:12 MST Print View

I really wanted to do this, but I figured the same, you'll poke your eye out!

I cut a flat section on the top to set my backpacking camera (Canon S90) down on, I can reach a finger up to steady the camera to the pole, and use my other hand to operate.

It will give a lot of extra stability with no downside, the thing is already in my hand most of the time. Useful in long-shutter-speed situations with lower light shots.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: Re: Camera screw could be a hazard on 01/17/2014 12:19:44 MST Print View

simple suggestion:
instead of using the screw hole at the bottom of the camera, and adding a screw to the trek pole, how about this:

use velcro.

shave the trek pole top to be flat or semi-flat.
stick the soft fuzzy velcro to the top knob of the pole.

next stick the slightly rough velcro to the bottom of the camera.

it would be faster to velcro on and off when trying to snap a photo of the elusive wildlife, than to mess with screwing and unscrewing bulky objects.

and it's safe to the eye.

also, more people are using SmartPhones cameras, that do not have a screw hole.

same concept, stick velcro to the smartphone case.

Daniel Pittman
(pitsy) - M

Locale: Central Texas
Re: Re: FLIPLOCK, 3sect, Al walmart pole -- modified to 6.9oz on 01/17/2014 20:06:56 MST Print View

Is that camera mount screw BSW thread or UNC?

mike meiers
(IntoWild) - M

Locale: SoCal
Going with Mudhole grips on 01/18/2014 11:48:59 MST Print View

I decided to go with the foam grips suggested above. I ordered the 6x1/2 and will trim to my liking when I get 'em.

I happen to have a pair of older REI Summit aluminum, two section, twist-lock poles that I bought for my children years ago. I still use them but only when I go snowshoeing / ice&snow hiking. Im not really a pole guy for regular hiking - I honestly cant stand the constant clickity-clak noise they make when people are hiking with them - but to each his own - even if it bothers the rest of us. A great invention for the MYOG group would be a completely silent hiking pole (leave it at home?) Ha. But I digress... Anyway, Ive never had problems with the twist lock suddenly collapsing, etc. However, I never really liked the stock hard rubber grip, so this BPL thread was perfect.

After boiling them in some water, the grips slid off and they now weigh 4 7/8 oz each, basket included. The OD of the pole at the grip area is 0.6". Ill post the final weight when I install the new Mudhole grips and the old straps. And when Im all done, Ill leave them at home :)

Edited by IntoWild on 01/18/2014 11:50:39 MST.

William F
(wkf) - F

Has anyone bought one of these in Portland, OR area? on 02/08/2014 18:24:16 MST Print View

Has anyone found these Outdoor Products single camlock trekking poles in the Portland, OR area?

I had an idea for a camera mount on a trekking pole. These are easily found at your local bike shop for a few bucks, http://www.jensonusa.com/!RU40Jf331q6dyZ8bs7ClvQ!/Planet-Bike-Clamp-Kit?utm_source=FRGL&utm_medium=organic&gclid=CLS7ovfvvbwCFU5efgodpyQAPA.

You could epoxy the male part to your camera or something like that. The female part moves vertically once secured to the trekking pole. I haven't done this but the bracket weighs a few grams, costs a couple bucks new, and has the ability to swivel vertically.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
FLIPLOCK, 3sect, Al walmart pole -- modified to 6.9oz(tripod mount) on 02/08/2014 18:40:31 MST Print View

Going back to that tripod screw sticking out...
This could work.
Get hold of a champagne cork top.
Cut off the bit that goes inside the bottle.
Drill a hole in the base so that you can screw this adaptor inside it :
tripod mount adaptor
(called tripod mount thread adaptor)
put some glue on the outside of the thread so that it will stay in place.
you now have a cork top that can screw on and off that tripod screw.

Maris L
(Ablaut) - M
Re: FLIPLOCK, 3sect, Al walmart pole -- modified to 6.9oz on 08/22/2014 22:17:01 MDT Print View

For those of you who have replaced the stock grips with foam, what are you using to plug the hole at the top of the grip?