PERMETHRIN
Display Avatars Sort By:
Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: RE: permethrin is great for ticks on 03/06/2014 14:55:00 MST Print View

Permethrin is probably also good for keeping leaches away. I've used DEET on them.

--B.G.--

Jeremy B.
(requiem) - F - M

Locale: Northern California
Re: Re: Re: RE: permethrin is great for ticks on 03/06/2014 15:16:25 MST Print View

On the other hand, there are pet sprays that you put directly on cat or dog, which must be about the same sensitive as us, so human warning may just be cautious.

Permethrin is highly toxic to cats, which is why some sprays are marketed for dogs only.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: sucks for aquatic life on 03/06/2014 16:20:33 MST Print View

You're supposed to apply permethrin on clothing and let it dry before your trip so aquatic life shouldn't be a problem

Unless you soak your clothes in it and then put it down the drain. I wonder if sewage treatment would neutralize it?

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: Re: sucks for aquatic life on 03/06/2014 16:24:49 MST Print View

Or unless you wade through rivers or creeks?

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: London, UK
Re: Insect Shield on 03/06/2014 17:37:16 MST Print View

My only caution is if your pants/shirt/jackets have a DWR treatment you want to maintain, then don't treat them with Permethrin.

If you are concerned about DIY hassles and cost is not issue, you can send your clothes direct to InsectShield.com and they will give them the pro treatment which will last much longer (~70 wash cycles) than the Sawyer DIY solution.

Or you can just buy new Insectshield treated clothes. An factory Insectshield treated pants/shirt/sock/hat set can be had from Outdoor Research/Colummba/Exofficio for less than $100 if shop well.

Barry P
(BarryP) - F

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)
Re: Concentrated on 03/07/2014 14:55:51 MST Print View

“We now buy the bigger more concentrated containers from veterinary supplies. ”

I’ve tried this and I even upped the concentration to 1%. But the veterinary stuff just didn’t last NEAR as long as Sawyer. Sawyer and other brands must have added some chemical to keep permethrin attached to the clothes.

Kill the ticks!
-Barry
-The mountains were made for Tevas