Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Hiking anyone??
Display Avatars Sort By:
Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
Hiking anyone?? on 07/06/2011 21:31:14 MDT Print View

Me and Ken Helwig are putting together a hike for Labor Day weekend. The start date will be Sat. Sept. 3rd and continue threw Thurs. the 8th. The hike is not set in stone as far as the complete route. The plan is to start at Onion Valley, my only criteria for the hike that I metioned to ken was, I wanted to do Forrester Pass, and try to exit on the same side of the Sierra ( East side). Here's what Ken has proposed so far and we're looking for anyone that want's to come with us, up to a total of 6 hikers on the permit, so we need 4 more people.

Ok so there are two different options that we can do on this trip.

First option was what I had stated earlier with the group going over Kearsarge, to Forester and out via Shepards Pass

This trip would be 3-4 days and as many nights and would involve a shuttle

Second option would be to go over Kearsarge and then take the Center Basin Trail and over Junction Pass. This was the JMT until they built the trail over Forester. After Junction Pass we head to Tyndall Crk and then over Forester Pass. After that we take Kearsarge Pass and out. This trip would have the feel of some cross country as the Center Basin trail is unmaintained after the lakes in the basin. This would take 4 nights and 5 days.

Any input is welcome, and we need to do this as quick as possible so we can secure a permit. Thanks, Jack

Edited by jumpbackjack on 07/06/2011 21:32:58 MDT.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
RE Hiking anyone on 07/06/2011 22:02:44 MDT Print View

After talking more with Ken, we decided on the 2nd option for the hike.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Hiking anyone?? on 07/06/2011 23:19:38 MDT Print View

I assume that you expect each member to be completely self-sufficient for gear and food. You and Ken would play the role of expert navigators, right? It also sounds like we would enter and exit at Onion Valley, so no car shuttle required.

In order to keep everybody paced together, it would be ideal if everybody had roughly similar loads, like plus or minus 25%. What kind of loads are you shooting for? I ask, because I typically have much heavier camera gear along.

What do we need to do to sign up?

--B.G.--

Bradley Attaway
(AttaboyBrad) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Same questions as Bob on 07/07/2011 01:07:53 MDT Print View

Same questions as Bob. I may well be interested.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Earlier on 07/07/2011 11:30:02 MDT Print View

I'm doing a larger circuit than you in early August, for 8 days if I can, no permit yet, I'll do the walk-in option. So I need to study my maps for that area and maybe Horseshoe Meadow as a backup plan. I've been to Vidette Meadow a few years ago when I did the Rae Lakes Loop, but in over Kearsarge Pass, clockwise. Have fun.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Hiking anyone?? on 07/07/2011 18:08:09 MDT Print View

Bob, yes everyone is self sufficient on the hike. My typical weight for a trip like this is around 25 lbs skin out. Jack and I are not the fastest hikers on this planet so the pace will likely be slow to moderate pace. Sign up? Just say that you want to go and we all will work out the details.
Expert navigators?? Nawww I am sufficient enough to get to where I need to go. The route finding on this trip looks like it is quite straightforward. Especially going through Center Basin and up towards Junction Pass. Their should be remnants of a trail going up to the pass. On the southern side we need to find our way to The Pothole, just east of Shepherds Pass, then the rest is straightforward.

The itenerary is like this:

Day 1 Onion Valley trailhead to Vidette Meadows
Day 2 Vidette Meadows to someplace in Center Basin
Day 3 Center Basin to Tyndall Crk. crossing via Junction Pass, and Shepherds Pass
Day 4 Tyndall Creek to Vidette Meadows via Forester Pass
Day 5 Vidette Meadows to Onion Valley and home!

Bradley, speaking for myself, you are welcome to join us. We are a fun bunch to hike with!

Edited by kennyhel77 on 07/07/2011 18:15:22 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Hiking anyone?? on 07/07/2011 18:29:48 MDT Print View

"We are a fun bunch to hike with!"

I'll enthusiastically second that!

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Hiking anyone?? on 07/07/2011 18:34:32 MDT Print View

"Just say that you want to go and we all will work out the details."

The itinerary looks reasonable. I want to go.

The mileage is very modest. I better get my long hard trails out of the way earlier in the summer. I studied the map around Center Basin to Tyndall Creek, and the precise route down to the Pothole and then back up is not obvious. Plus Tyndall Creek is a very large area.

I think the Onion Valley campground had some early season problem with excess snow. It would be nice if we had something organized for the night that we arrive, before we start, but that is not required. We want to sleep high that night to minimize problems going over the pass.

--B.G.--

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Hiking anyone?? on 07/07/2011 18:35:40 MDT Print View

Mr. Ide, me thinks you should come along!

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Re: Hiking anyone?? on 07/07/2011 18:49:46 MDT Print View

I surely wish I could Mr. Ken!

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hiking anyone?? on 07/07/2011 18:55:41 MDT Print View

Bob, yes staying a night at Onion Valley is a must. I still believe that the route finding through Center Basin though should be straight forward as long as we stay on the west side of the basin and attain the headwall. As for the south to south east part of the pass heading down to The Pothole will be more of an issue, but I feel it does not pose too much of a problem though. Yes the mileage is modest, and to be honest can be changed. Onion Valley to Center Basin is doable and I am alright with doing that the first day.

Day 1 Onion Valley to Center Basin 12-13 miles camp at Golden Bear Lake
Day 2 Golden Bear Lake, over Junction Pass, over Shepherds Pass and camp at Tyndall Creek crossing (JMT) 7-11 miles. I cannot figure out cross counry mileage
Day 3....options??? either have a zero day to explore or hike over Forester Pass to Vidette Meadows. 11.5 miles
Day 4 Vidette Meadows to Onion Valley via Kearsarge Pass and drive home 8.4 hiking miles

Once this trip is finalized I will look at getting a campground

Edited by kennyhel77 on 07/07/2011 19:04:59 MDT.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Hike on 07/07/2011 19:05:08 MDT Print View

I am taking a week off work mid August for a trip, so I probably won't be able to take off again, so soon after. Sounds like a great trip, though.
I don't know about Jack being slow though....last year at Rae Lakes he got faster every day and there was no stopping him. : )

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hiking anyone?? on 07/07/2011 19:07:52 MDT Print View

if we were to have a zero day, it would be fantastic to do some exploring. I have never been to Bighorn Plateau or Lake South America. Just seeing the Great Western Divide and glimpses of The Kern-Kaweah Divide would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hiking anyone?? on 07/07/2011 19:09:15 MDT Print View

Awe Kat, I was talking to Jack today and was asking if he had talked to you! I was supposed to pm you tonight. Beat me to the punch. Too bad you cannot come, this trip sounds very fun!

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hiking anyone?? on 07/07/2011 19:10:31 MDT Print View

Bummer Doug! I know that it is a long way for you to go! Hope you can make the 2012 Northern CA BPL trip though. Next year will be even more fun!!

Adam Hemphill
(ahemphill) - F

Locale: Bay Area
Interested on 07/07/2011 19:16:41 MDT Print View

I'm interested (despite being somewhat of a newbie).

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Interested on 07/07/2011 19:20:35 MDT Print View

No worries Adam! I will be speaking to Jack later and I am sure you can come along. Welcome aboard! The nice thing about hiking with others is that you learn something. We all started out as newbies. We'd love to have you come along.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hiking anyone?? on 07/07/2011 19:28:55 MDT Print View

"Just seeing the Great Western Divide and glimpses of The Kern-Kaweah Divide would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Can't you see those places in Google Earth?

--B.G.--

Adam Hemphill
(ahemphill) - F

Locale: Bay Area
Clothing on 07/07/2011 19:29:10 MDT Print View

Thanks Ken. I will certainly be interested to find out what one would pack for a trip like this — clothing in particular. I've got most of the gear covered (though I'm just beginning to experiment with shelters).

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Clothing on 07/07/2011 19:33:28 MDT Print View

You would want to prepare for one day of rain, and one or two cold mornings that dip below freezing. The rest of it will be excess sun. The high mountain passes tend to be very breezy.

--B.G.--