Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » First Net Tent Project - Tent Floor

Display Avatars Sort By:
Nicholas Durante
(lakemaryscouter) - F
First Net Tent Project - Tent Floor on 07/06/2011 17:33:21 MDT Print View

I thank you again for indulging me in this exercise of the mind. I am a Scouter working through in his head the idea for a Tent Design which I believe has merit. This thread is to request information on the different options there would be, Pro's and Con's, for the floor of the tent.

This tent will be used mostly in Florida, with possible fall treks to Tennessee and at least one trip to Philmont in New Mexico. In reading about the various fabrics available, it is difficult to really gain any insight as to which way to go. Sil, poly, ripstop, cuben, dyneema, taffeta, cordura... yada yada yada.

My parameters are to try to stay around 2 ounces/sq yd if possible, have enough durability ( in concert with a ground cloth ) to survive a moderate amount of yearly use ( say, 4 0r 5 two night treks per year ), and be relatively capable of compressing down well in a pack or stuff sack.

My design calls for a 30" x 84" footprint with 5" bathtub sidewalls and 1" allowed for seams. This gives me about a 3.218 sq yd piece needed, and I do not wish for this portion of my design to exceed $25-$30.

Any suggestions as to which various fabrics might be good candidates for this project?

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
First Net Tent Project - Tent Floor" on 07/09/2011 20:42:29 MDT Print View

" I do not wish for this portion of my design to exceed $25-$30."

I didn't either, but was tempted and smitten by 1.26 oz/sq/yd Cuben with thicker mylar from Zpacks for around $90 for 3 linear yards.

Probably a decent quality PU coated 1.9 oz/sq/yd nylon with a DWR coating on the other side is about the best available per your specs. It is available at a lot of smaller shops where you can examine and test a sample. The shop here is Ragged Mtn in Intervale NH, but have no idea where you live. There is always mail order from OWF, Quest or on the west coast: Rockywoods, Rainshed and Seattle Fabrics. They all do samples.

Or for a little more $, but much less than Cuben, you could try the sil-coated 1.9 oz nylon from Seattle Fabrics (2.4 oz total wt). Use it for all my stuffsacks, jand plan to make most of a pack out of it, but have no idea how it would hold up as a floor. For another tent, am using a high quality 1.4 oz (incl coating) black silnylon no longer available from Thru-Hiker for a floor, and it has held up fairly well, and saves a lot of weight. Would not consider most 1.3-1.5 oz silnylons for a floor. Roger Caffin tested a number of them for me, and they just dont't have the level of water resistance needed, and that is before getting worn and crumpled by continued use.

Hope this helps.

Nicholas Durante
(lakemaryscouter) - F
DWR? on 07/10/2011 07:00:37 MDT Print View

I thank you for your assistance - what is DWR? I am leaning towards PU over Sil simply from a standpoint of flamability. If I am going to exceed my design budget anyways, I think that the PU advantages outweigh adding small increments of weight.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: DWR? on 07/10/2011 07:47:43 MDT Print View

Durable Water Repellent

Good for a jacket or sleeping bag where you want some water repellence but more breathability

Is sil nylon more flamable than PU?

Silnylon isn't real waterproof for a floor, but I use it anyway. I got some "Shield" silnylon from thru-hiker which is supposed to be more waterproof for my next floor.