Little Light Gear : Hiking Packs for Kids
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ronald Rod
(BespokeGear) - F

Locale: Front Range
Little Light Gear : Hiking Packs for Kids on 07/05/2011 10:58:03 MDT Print View

Hi everyone,
I had been looking for a lightweight backpack for my niece, and was unimpressed with what I was finding. Having made backpacks for quite some time now, I knew I could make something better. I thought maybe some other folks might be looking for something similar, so I created Little Light Gear.

Pictured below are the 6.5 ounce Hop Pack and the 8.5 ounce Skip pack.

Hop Pack

Skip Pack

Please take a minute to check them out over at www.LittleLightGear.com . We are definitely in the early stages of developing the website, so if you have any feedback, please feel free to send me an email at info@LittleLightGear.com.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,
Ron

edited to add link.

Edited by BespokeGear on 07/12/2011 16:24:57 MDT.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Sweet ! on 07/05/2011 11:19:10 MDT Print View

Nice looking packs there. Looks like you may have something to offer that isn't out there already.

Greg F
(GregF) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
How Durable on 07/05/2011 11:39:08 MDT Print View

Interesting packs.

What is the duribility of the material like say comapared to 4.2oz/yd Dyneema X Ripstop. I am looking for a kids pack and have considered a Z-Packs zero in Dyneema as one option. This looks pretty good as well as for the same price you get a lot of features already included.

Also your website doesn't seem to have any information on shipping. I live in Canada so the first thing I check when looking at gear stores is how they ship. If they don't use USPS for international shipping I don't bother looking any further.

Edited by GregF on 07/05/2011 11:40:19 MDT.

Ronald Rod
(BespokeGear) - F

Locale: Front Range
RE: Little Light Gear : Hiking Packs for Kids on 07/05/2011 15:41:18 MDT Print View

Thanks Katharina for the kudos!

Hi Greg,
Thanks for the feedback, somehow the shipping page got left off the info tab. I will get that fixed soon.

In the meantime, our preferred shipping is via USPS. For a limited time, domestic shipping (within the USA) is FREE. For international shipping, I will charge only what we are charged. I would prefer to ship via Priority MailĀ® International. This starts at $11.95 for Canada. I will send a follow up invoice for the shipping via Paypal after the box has shipped. If some other form of shipping is preferred (be it domestic or international), just shoot me an email at info@littlelightgear.com, and we can sort it out. I am quite flexible.

Regarding the durability of the fabric:
First off, I found a typo in the descriptions of the fabric. It should be TX07, not VX07. Sorry about that, still working out the kinks here. I'll have that fixed soon as well.

I am a big fan of the TX07. I find it is a good balance between weight and durability. The face fabric is a 70 denier ripstop nylon. The fabric is not as abrasion resistant as the Dyneema Gridstop, but I certainly find it durable enough. However, the waterproofness of the VX07 is better, and lasts longer, as it is not a coating, but rather a PET film that provides the waterproofing. Also, this fabric weighs in at about 3.2 ounces per yard, so it is a bit lighter than the fabric you referred to. I use the TX07 in my personal pack, and have found it quite sufficient as a pack material.

For those who are wondering, the difference between the VX07 and TX07 is that the TX07 does not have the 50 denier polyester backing on the 'wrong' side of the fabric. It also weighs 1.6oz/per square yard less than the VX07.

Thanks for bearing with us through through these early stages.

Cheers,
Ron
info@littlelightgear.com

Edited by BespokeGear on 07/05/2011 16:29:15 MDT.

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
Re: Little Light Gear : Hiking Packs for Kids on 07/05/2011 18:39:39 MDT Print View

VERY cool, Ron. VERY cool!!!!

--------M

Greg F
(GregF) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
Thanks on 07/05/2011 19:29:33 MDT Print View

Thanks for the feed back and fabric info. I will definitely consider this pack when I go out to buy one for my daughter.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Little Light Gear : Hiking Packs for Kids on 07/05/2011 19:39:57 MDT Print View

Wow, Ron, love the packs. What a great idea. Almost makes me wish I had a kid of my own!

Almost..... ;-)

b s
(smyth) - F
Re: Re: Little Light Gear : Hiking Packs for Kids on 07/05/2011 20:21:56 MDT Print View

Nice looking packs. Any thought about an adjustable torso length? Sometimes I feel like my niece and nephew grow another inch every time I see them. Good luck with the new venture.

Clint Wayman
(cwayman1) - M

Locale: East Tennessee, US
Just a hop-skip away on 07/05/2011 21:06:34 MDT Print View

Hey Ron,

Great-looking packs! Children are still several years off for me, but these packs make me want to go ahead and buy one in preparation for little tikes! Best wishes in your new endeavor!

-Clint

Michael Williams
(mlebwill) - F

Locale: Colorado
Awesome on 07/05/2011 22:38:33 MDT Print View

Great looking packs Ron! I'm very much interested in them. One of my challenges with getting a UL pack for my kid is how fast he is growing. I'm afraid that if I get him a Med torso by next year he will have outgrown that. A variable torso pack would be ideal, that way I wouldn't mind dropping $150 or more if I knew I could get 3+ years out of it.

Just a thought if you were considering expanding.

Good luck.

Mike

Noel Tavan
(akatsuki_the_devil) - MLife
re on 07/06/2011 08:39:07 MDT Print View

any adult size? :D

Anthony Alpert
(goby99) - F

Locale: Trinity Alps
Wow! on 07/06/2011 09:41:36 MDT Print View

LOVE IT!!! I'm going to measure my son and order. Wow!!

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Cool on 07/06/2011 09:46:29 MDT Print View

Well that looks cool. I spent $30 and a long weekend making a similar pack for my younger brother, for $65 that Hop pack is a steal. It makes upgrading to a new pack as kids grow less painful. I like the fact that there is finally another frameless pack for younger kids. Good luck.

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: Little Light Gear : Hiking Packs for Kids on 07/06/2011 10:24:16 MDT Print View

Looks good. I like the reasonable price and low weight.

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
Little Light Gear : Hiking Packs for Kids on 07/06/2011 11:26:18 MDT Print View

might you happen to have any xpac in Orange? the "skip" in orange would be the bee's knees. mike

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Little Light Gear : Hiking Packs for Kids on 07/06/2011 11:34:07 MDT Print View

Great idea! It's good to see some functional gear around for kids. I've got a couple of my own that could use them.

Samuel Kau
(Skau)

Locale: Southern California
Great niche to fill on 07/06/2011 12:44:46 MDT Print View

Very excited to see a company filling something that is greatly needed. I would also agree with the above posts of an adjustable torso but would not be sure how you could achieve that with a frameless pack. Possibly different volume sizes as well? Good luck though and great idea!

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Little Light Gear : Hiking Packs for Kids" on 07/06/2011 12:55:44 MDT Print View

This is quality stuff. Thanks for sharing and thinking of the kiddos.

. .
(biointegra) - MLife

Locale: Puget Sound
Re: Little Light Gear : Hiking Packs for Kids on 07/06/2011 13:03:53 MDT Print View

@ Ronald - The packs look great and thanks for taking the initiative on providing gear for the little hikers!

Best to you on this endeavor.

John Martin
(snapyjohn) - M

Locale: Pacific NW
Light kids gear on 07/06/2011 17:51:35 MDT Print View

I was in the middle of making a pack. I was even considering modifying a rei flash pack. I was trying to figure out how to cinch up the middle to allow for growth. You are providing much needed product. As for making it last for years, I will take care of it and sell it here in a year or so and buy another. Great looking packs. I can't wait to get two for my girls. I contacted my sister who just paid $120 for two rei kids packs at 1 3/4 pounds a piece and she is going to order two.