Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Wind River Range trail report
Display Avatars Sort By:
richard speechly
(richardspeechly) - F
wind rivers hay pass and washakie pass on 08/05/2011 12:27:10 MDT Print View

anybody been over Hay pass or washakie pass and what are the conditions? baptist lake?

Ethan Hazzard-Watkins
(ethanhw) - F

Locale: Vermont
baker lake, bear basin on 08/05/2011 14:03:03 MDT Print View

Thanks for all the updates on conditions in the Winds. I'm planning a trip for the last week in August from Green River Lakes into the backcountry around Baker Lake and Bear Basin. Does anyone know anything about conditions in those areas?

Also, I'm curious what folks with Wind River experience recommend for bear protection - hanging vs. canisters? Hanging seems preferable, but how about above timberline?

Thanks for the insight.

Ethan

Rutherford Platt
(tunaboy999) - F

Locale: Mid Atlantic
Mosquito Reports -- keep 'em coming on 08/08/2011 08:19:57 MDT Print View

Hi everyone,

For those just returning from the Winds, can you keep on reporting mosquito conditions? I may go out this Sunday August 14th, but not if the mosquitoes are in full force. I made that mistake to years ago -- never again. They eat DEET for breakfast.

RVP

Lance Stack
(inthistube) - F

Locale: Colorado
Re: Mosquito Reports -- keep 'em coming on 08/08/2011 12:41:18 MDT Print View

I came down from the Green River Pass area on August 6th, and the mosquitoes are still terrible. I'm guessing conditions won't improve much over the next week.

Gabe Joyes
(gabe_joyes) - F

Locale: Lander, WY
Trip Report on 08/08/2011 18:07:01 MDT Print View

Here is a recent report:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=51680

David Angell
(MHV_hike) - F
Washakie and Hailey Passes on 08/11/2011 05:29:43 MDT Print View

Has anyone gone over these passes recently, and can comment on the snow conditions?

Edited by MHV_hike on 08/11/2011 05:30:30 MDT.

Gabe Joyes
(gabe_joyes) - F

passes on 08/11/2011 08:45:22 MDT Print View

I went up Washakie Pass weeks ago and it was fine (see the pictures above). Hailey Pass I guarantee is in the same shape, you should have no problems at all.

ed sylvester
(edsly42) - F

Locale: East
Recent bug reports? on 08/15/2011 11:02:50 MDT Print View

Hoping to hear the plague of skeeters up and left over the last 2-3 days. Heading into the PA wilderness the end of this week. Anyone? Thanks

John Vance
(Servingko) - F

Locale: Intermountain West
Winds and bugs on 08/17/2011 16:19:29 MDT Print View

Any new news? I appears that temps haven't dropped enough kill large numbers of mosquitoes but how are the buffalo gnats? I am headed out Sept 2nd through the 17th and have been plagued by bugs or snow at that time. Last year no bugs and nigh-time lows of 10-15f up high. Days were chilly in the upper 30's low 40's but the previous year was warm day and night with few bugs.

Adam Mac
(Mac10) - F
Trip Last week of August on 08/18/2011 09:21:42 MDT Print View

Heading out of Big Sandy to the Cirque of the towers and around Lizard head starting Aug 27th. I see the mosquitos are still bad, hopefully they will be gone by next week. Been looking forward to this trip since January and I can't believe its next week. I will let you know what kind of conditions we encounter.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Re: Trip Last week of August on 08/18/2011 11:51:18 MDT Print View

Unless you camp down in a boggy valley, mosquitoes shouldn't be too bad. Camp where there's a breeze to keep the bugs away. The "Wind" part of the Wind River Range is there for a reason! The same steps you should follow to prevent condensation in your shelter will also avoid the worst of the bugs.

Spray your clothing with permethrin before you leave, and take a headnet plus one of those little dropper bottles of repellent.

Unfortunately I had to cancel my trip (again) for this year--family issues and surgery for my dog. Maybe next year!

Justin Baccary
(justin.baccary)
Recent conditions updates? on 08/21/2011 19:47:03 MDT Print View

Does anyone have any recent conditions updates? I'm headed to the Winds in a few days and am planning on crossing Texas Pass, "Pain in the Ass Pass" (Raid-Bonneville Col), Europe Pass, Cook Pass and Knapsack Col. Should I bring my lightweight CAMP ice axe or will I be okay without it? Thanks!

Andrew Wolff
(Andrew)

Locale: Chattanooga
Canisters vs hanging on 08/21/2011 19:56:29 MDT Print View

Ethan, hanging is the way to go. You will have no problem finding a cliff hang above treeline, sometimes its even easier than finding a good limb when you need to tree hang.

Gabe Joyes
(gabe_joyes) - F

trekking poles on 08/21/2011 19:58:55 MDT Print View

If you've got sturdy trekking poles, you should be fine on all of those. The only one I don't know about is Knapsack Col, I'm not sure how intense that one will be. I did a lot of glissading and climbing steep snow slopes two weeks ago just with trekking poles, and I'm sure its gotten a lot better since then. Good luck!

richard speechly
(richardspeechly) - F
bug report ending week of aug. 20th 2011 on 08/23/2011 10:09:48 MDT Print View

I visited with a friend who was packpacking out of the green river TH last week and he indicated that the bug situation in that area was still heavy. There have been a few cold nights that helped but all in all the bugs are still ruling the air. Deet and clothing are still recomeded as important deturants.

Benjamin Smith
(bugbomb) - F - M

Locale: South Texas
Wind River bug/condition update on 08/23/2011 14:53:10 MDT Print View

Just got back from a week out (ending 8/20).

Bugs are heavier on the west side, lighter on the east side. DEET and headnet worked great for me. They disappeared completely around 8:00, even near lakes and streams.

Washakie, Hailey, Texas, Jackass and the unnamed pass near the junction of Lizard Head and Bear's Ear trails were all clear. A snowfield on the east side of Washakie was manageable without poles or axes.

We brought bear canisters, anticipating camps above treeline. The earlier poster is correct - anywhere with no trees had cliffs. Will definitely save 2+ lbs next time and bring a bear bag.

And there will definitely be a next time.

Edited by bugbomb on 08/23/2011 14:57:25 MDT.

Adam Mac
(Mac10) - F
Big Sandy Trail Head on 08/25/2011 14:13:58 MDT Print View

This time tomorrow I will be setting out from big sandy for my 10 day loop to the cirques and around lizard head trail. Hope to have some good fishing to report and that the bugs have died down. Will post when I return.

Edited by Mac10 on 08/25/2011 14:14:35 MDT.

Bobby Bruinsma
(bdbruinsma) - F

Locale: Black Hills
Potential Hikes on 08/31/2011 22:57:46 MDT Print View

Hey guys, I'm heading out to Lander to meet up with a buddy to hike for three days; I was curious if anyone could give us any suggestions on some great scenic routes. I've never hiked the area and he's new to Lander so we're looking for some suggestions from experienced locals. Looking for about a 30 mile jaunt. Thanks in advance.

richard speechly
(richardspeechly) - F
hiking out of lander on 09/01/2011 10:47:05 MDT Print View

There are several good hikes into the southern winds with Trail Heads starting off of state road 131 toward Worthan Dam and beyond. Get a map of that area for more detail. Two nice hikes start at the west end of Worthan resevoir. Just off the parking lot at the west end is a TH that lead west over a small pass toward Stough Creek lakes and beyond. This area has great views and can make a loop hike coming back along the snowbridge trail which is the other TH at the resevoir. Most people however do an out and back. A good map of this area would be desirable to get an acurate feel of the trail system. Good luck.

Jason Lee
(jasonthelee) - F
Winds & Skeeters on 09/01/2011 20:19:07 MDT Print View

Would anyone have a current bug report (within the past week). We are headed in Sunday via elkhart park, any info much appreciated.