Forum Index » Gear Lists » Colorado Trail Footwear

Display Avatars Sort By:
Allen Butts
(butts0989) - F - MLife

Locale: Northern Rockies
Colorado Trail Footwear on 07/02/2011 13:51:48 MDT Print View

So my expected start date right now is around July 6th. Ill be hiking anywhere from 18-25 MPD. I am curious as to what the snow conditions are going to be looking like from the Breckenridge area to the Leadville area. Im trying to decide if i need to bring yaktraks or kahtoola microspikes, or even snowshoes. Does anyone have any input?

aaron eshelman
(djaaronreed) - MLife

Locale: Central Rockies
CT Trail conditions. on 07/04/2011 12:13:20 MDT Print View

Check the Facebook page for the Colorado Trail Association. LOTS of hikers have posted trail conditions for a lot of segments.

Problem areas up to Leadville from Segment 1 seem to be limited to segments 6 and 7 (Kenosha to Breck to Copper). Large snow fields after Georgia Pass (seg 6) put passable and lots of snow on the Ten Mile Range hike (Seg 7), but also passable if done early enough to travel on the cold snow in the morning. It's been blazing hot in Colorado the last few days, so you may be ok by the time you start the hike.

Best of luck!

Eric Swab
(ericswab) - M

Locale: Rockies
Colorado Trail Footwear on 07/04/2011 13:19:31 MDT Print View

Allen,

I can't speak for the areas you are heading but I just got back from hiking in Commanche Peak Wilderness, there was still quite a bit of snow above 10,500', more than I anticipated.

Like Aaron said in the morning you could walk right on top, later in the day it was still okay, the snow is pretty packed, didn't really have trouble with post holing or slipping, had to kick steps in a couple times, this was with trail runners and poles. With the melt off the trails are wet and sloppy though.

If I went back tomorrow I wouldn't bring anything different. You would be taking spikes or snow shoes off and on so much it would be annoying. The snow does slow you down some due to trail finding though.

I have the link on my other computer but the SNOTEL data sites have a bunch of info.

Have a good trip,
Eric

Edited by ericswab on 07/04/2011 13:20:58 MDT.