Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
MLD grace duo taught pitch?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
MLD Grace Duo Taught Pitch? on 07/30/2013 15:12:47 MDT Print View

044jpg

Ruta Locura CF 2-piece tent pole 1.4oz and Yama Mountain Gear (2.0) bug shelter 15.5oz.

Evan Chartier
(evanchartier) - M
Grace Duo on 07/30/2013 15:43:22 MDT Print View

Its so weird. I will have to go out and try some longer lines and play with the heights tomorrow. I will measure my poles and take pics as well once my new camera charger comes in. I have never had this problem with my BPL Stealth Nano, my Sea to Summit Poncho Tarp, a MYOG sil flat tarp, or my Gossamer Gear Spinntwin. Ive taken it out about 10 trail nights, with no luck on the ridgeline. Oy vey!

Marc Eldridge
(meld) - MLife

Locale: The here and now.
Re: "MLD grace duo taught pitch?" on 07/30/2013 16:59:07 MDT Print View

I initially had a hard time with the setup. I emailed Ron the photos of the pitch and even sent it back to him to have him examine it. He sent it back to me saying that it was alright and sent a video on how to pitch it. Getting the ridge stretched tight before the corners really helped but the configuration really doesn't allow for a steeper sided pitch like you can get with the Stealth Nano.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
MLD grace duo taught pitch? on 07/30/2013 17:49:10 MDT Print View

I also think the pitch of the walls and amount of catenary cut along the ridge helps determine the tightness of the ridge line.

I have had a few variations of tarps with cat-cut ridges and different tarps seem to be optimized for different angles of pitch.

I have never had a problem with a little sag on the ridge as long as the ridge line and corners are tight and the mid tie-outs aren't too loose or too tight.

Sagging walls will flap in wind, but a little sag in ridge not so much and so I don't worry about it when it does happen.

Evan Chartier
(evanchartier) - M
MLD Grace Duo Pitch on 07/31/2013 10:13:30 MDT Print View

I just measured my Carbon FX poles at 43 inches and 28.75 inches. Are these the recommended heights that others have used for this tarp to get a tight pitch?

@Marc, do you still happen to have that video?

Edit: Seems to be that my poles are the same, or at least the same length, as the poles that MLD sells on its site. Hopefully will get a chance to play around again this afternoon.

Edited by evanchartier on 07/31/2013 10:16:39 MDT.