Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » deydrating questions

Display Avatars Sort By:
Royal Magnell
(BlueMan) - F

Locale: Northern CA
deydrating questions on 06/29/2011 18:54:49 MDT Print View

Hello,

I'm thinking of trying to take a favorite sauce into the backcountry. It's very simple--steamed carrots and onions blended until smooth with large amounts of olive oil. My question is, what would be the best way to dehydrate this? I'd like it to be a just add hot water sort of thing. Should I steam the veggies, dehydrate them, and them powder them in a blender? Or should I dry the veggies after the blending? Is the flavor likely to be similar to when it's fresh? Either way I'm planning on adding the oil in the backcountry. I really doubt dehydrating oil will work well.

Also, does anyone have a favorite tofu jerky recipe they like?

Thanks!

Royal

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: deydrating questions on 06/29/2011 19:13:20 MDT Print View

Always add the oil once you prepare it in camp. On the veggies, cook as you would, dry and then powder.

Will it be 100% the same? No but you will still enjoy it!

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
Re: deydrating questions on 06/29/2011 21:40:02 MDT Print View

Royal... I would do both blend before drying... then dehydrate and then make it into a powder. There is a slight difference in flavor and you'll find that hotter spices get muted a little bit sometimes. Add the oil in the backcountry.

I have a tofu jerky recipe in my latest book. I'm off to bed but I'll try to remember to pull it from the manuscript files and post it in the morning. Don't ever try to rehydrate tofu... it's not worth the effort as it never comes back.