Recommendations for UL down-proof fabrics?
Display Avatars Sort By:
billy goat
(billygoat) - F

Locale: West.
Recommendations for UL down-proof fabrics? on 06/29/2011 15:21:28 MDT Print View

Since m50 is no longer available and may never be available, I was curious if anyone knew of other ultralight down-proof fabrics that would be suitable for sleeping bags/quilts. Obviously I'm thinking lighter than m90.

Info on suppliers/websites would be appreciated.

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Locale: The-Stateless-Society
Re: Recommendations for UL down-proof fabrics? on 06/29/2011 15:24:30 MDT Print View

I have it on good authority that there may be something coming very soon to suit your needs, but I can't say any more.

Other than waiting on this possibility, there are no options available for MYOG that I'm aware of.

billy goat
(billygoat) - F

Not including Cuben! on 06/29/2011 15:25:07 MDT Print View

I may use Cuben on the outside of the quilt but I'd like something that feels a little nicer against the skin for the inside.

billy goat
(billygoat) - F

Waiting... on 06/29/2011 15:40:51 MDT Print View

Like a month or two or six months to years? :)

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Re: Not including Cuben! on 06/29/2011 16:30:58 MDT Print View

If you use cuben on the outside, and a breathable material on the inside, you're going to collect condensation (a lot of it), inside your down and deloft your quilt extremely quickly.

Realistically you either need to use cuben only, or breathable only.

As far as the wait time for the aforementioned fabric, sooner rather than later, a couple of months at the outside, barring catastrophe.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: Recommendations for UL down-proof fabrics? on 06/29/2011 16:42:48 MDT Print View

From MLD:

"We now have a steady stock of M55 fabric and it is now available in the bivys and quilts for order. It is a 10d X 10d .75 oz sq/yd ( That's the final weight and includes includes DWR coating.) It has a very high quality three pass DWR coating that will last a long time. I can't start to tell you about all the many samples of small denier fabrics we tested and pursued before selecting this one - this one is really really good and only one factory we know of in the world seems to get the DWR on small d greige produced this good."

While I know that MLD doesn't sell raw materials, I would assume that Thru-Hiker will be stocking this soon as well since they source materials together.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Re: Recommendations for UL down-proof fabrics? on 06/29/2011 16:44:40 MDT Print View

My thoughts as well Bradford. Hoping Thru Hiker releases M55 this summer.

Ryan

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Re: Re: Re: Recommendations for UL down-proof fabrics? on 06/29/2011 17:13:14 MDT Print View

Ron also has 3-layer eVent but thru-hiker doesn't carry it.

You guys may be assuming too much. Ayce mentioned not having anymore M50 for a while or ever, and I haven't seen any announcement stating that thru-hiker would be carrying M55. Ron also only has one color run of black supposedly?

Anyway, I'm not saying they will or they wont, just saying, I wouldn't bet on it, until Ron or Ayce comments on it specifically.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Re: Re: Re: Recommendations for UL down-proof fabrics? on 06/30/2011 18:19:42 MDT Print View

We should have bet on it Javan.

http://thru-hiker.com/materials/breathable.php

Ryan