Best 8 minute meal?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Will Rouse
(WGR1971) - F
Best 8 minute meal? on 06/28/2011 01:52:48 MDT Print View

What's the best meal if all you had was 500 ml of hot to boiling water?

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Best 8 minute meal? on 06/28/2011 08:25:45 MDT Print View

In American terms you have about 17 ounces or 2+ cups which is considerable. Many FBC friendly meals only need 1 cup to 1 1/2 cups leaving you extra water for sipping or clean up.
Having said that, it means you can make nearly anything! Although while water that has boiled will cook food faster if you are willing to wait longer simple hot water will "cook" meals but take longer than 8 minutes (most rehydrate meals work best even with really hot water if they sit for 10-15 minutes cozied unless they are couscous, ramen or mashed potato based.

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
Re: Best 8 minute meal? on 06/28/2011 09:30:03 MDT Print View

I have to choose just one? Many of my recipes require less than 500 ml per serving of dried food. Most times 500 ml would do 2 to 3 of us at a meal. Quinoa and Lentil Stew is a good one. Many homemade soups, chili, and the like. Couscous based dishes are great for low water consumption too.

Will Rouse
(WGR1971) - F
I'm hungry on 06/28/2011 10:27:15 MDT Print View

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone have any BP DYI dehydrated food recipe links?

Edited by WGR1971 on 06/28/2011 10:27:51 MDT.

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
re: food on 06/28/2011 10:38:09 MDT Print View

Will, if you click on Sarah and Laurie's user names, their websites are listed on their info page. The websites have all sorts of wonderful recipes.

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
Re: re: food on 06/29/2011 10:59:27 MDT Print View

Thanks Debbie...

Actually the link on my profile goes to the website for my cookbooks and there are only a few recipes there. However, the site leads to some other resources including the Facebook page for A Fork in the Trail and I post recipes there from time-to-time.

I write for Seattle Backpackers Magazine and there are other food contributors there as well as some good recipes.

Here is a primer that I wrote for the Washington Trails Association a while back.
How to Do It - Dehydrating Food which has a few recipes.

Some foods do take more water per serving than others because it depends on the water content of the original meal. Also some take longer to rehydrate... the good news is that rehydration with a cozy doesn't use any fuel beyond the initial boiling of water unless it is super cold out and you need to do a quickie reheat.

Edited to add... and there is this favorite lunch that was featured in Get Out! Roasted Eggplant Spread

Edited by Laurie_Ann on 06/29/2011 11:07:44 MDT.