Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
WTB: Luggage type bags
Display Avatars Sort By:
Joe Bancks
(JackPike)

Locale: Midwest
WTB: Luggage type bags on 06/26/2011 14:56:14 MDT Print View

I need a golly-big rugged duffel with wheels and a pull handle, and a smaller carryon/convertible bag (with or w/o wheels). Would also consider a huge travel backpack, so long as it's check-luggage compatible (i.e., stowable shoulder straps).

Thinking Osprey Waypoint or Sojourn, Eagle Creek products, Victorionox, etc.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: WTB: Luggage type bags on 06/26/2011 15:08:40 MDT Print View

Eagle Creek makes really good stuff. I have had maybe seven or eight different Eagle Creek products, and I have one duffel that is large enough that I can crawl inside it and zip it up.

Be careful if you get a golly-big duffel bag and try to check it on an airliner. The dimensional restrictions will get in your way.

The problem with a huge travel backpack is that you have a lot of weight, even when empty. Again, that will work against your favor if you try to check it on an airliner.

--B.G.--

Joe Bancks
(JackPike)

Size restrictions on 06/26/2011 15:17:37 MDT Print View

Thanks Bob, I hadn't considered checking airline checked-bag size restrictions. I'll do that.

I've been back-and-forth from Detroit 6 times this year, with at least two more trips to come, always needing to tote PFD, hipwaders, muck boots, steel toe boots, hardhat, FR clothing, and more. So far my old army canvas duffel and an old Champion brand gym duffel have done the job, but now I've a rip in the Champion, and neither is much fun to carry, fully loaded.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: WTB: Luggage type bags on 06/26/2011 15:35:53 MDT Print View

There is a travel company that I have booked international travel with on three times. About one month prior to each trip, they send each participant a new duffel bag. It is an Eagle Creek with the travel company's logo on it as well. They do this so that each participant is forced to pack their stuff into one medium size, and all of them are the same color, so when a dozen of those are rolling out of the conveyor at the airport they are easy to find.

Between those three plus other Eagle Creeks that I bought for myself, I am all stocked up. Eagle Creek is made out of a pretty heavy Cordura fabric. I have one that rode on the back of a mule for 40 miles, and it has mule hide permanently embedded in the texture.

(Since this is BPL) There are other brands of duffels that are much lighter in weight, but of course they lack all of the heavy features. Outdoor Products comes to mine.

--B.G.--

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: WTB: Luggage type bags on 06/26/2011 16:16:27 MDT Print View

Try Ebay for potentially good deals - if you haven't already.

Richard Scruggs
(JRScruggs) - MLife

Locale: Oregon
Re: WTB: Luggage type bags on 06/26/2011 19:30:36 MDT Print View

REI Wheely Beast --7200 cu in (118 liters) for about $114 -- but weighs 11 lbs:

http://www.rei.com/product/747916/rei-wheely-beast-rolling-duffel-35

REI has smaller rolling duffels, too ---

http://www.rei.com/category/4501705

I've used the Wheely Beast as checked luggage, but have to watch the airline limit on dimensions and weight. Can't use all available space in the Wheely Beast duffel when checked-in because it would exceed airline limits -- solution is to not pack it chock-full, use the side compression straps to cinch it up tight, and measure/weigh it before heading to the airport.

Aside from airline travel, it's a great bag for storing and transporting car-camping gear -- load into the pickup and go. Two folding cots, two folding chairs, sleeping pads, dining tarp w/rigging -- and add stuffed sleeping bags when ready to go.

Edited by JRScruggs on 06/26/2011 19:48:21 MDT.

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Northern Colorado
WTB: Luggage type bags on 06/26/2011 20:30:28 MDT Print View

Another great resource is the blog at http://www.practicalhacks.com/. Look at the bag reviews specifically. Another one would be the onebagger website.

Joe Bancks
(JackPike)

Data on 06/26/2011 20:35:17 MDT Print View

Loving the input, thanks to all. Still mulling options.