Forum Index » Philosophy & Technique » Rethinkin' it

Display Avatars Sort By:
todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Rethinkin' it on 06/25/2011 20:24:59 MDT Print View

Just decided to browse some articles for the fun of it - completely random wandering.

I came across this and found it thought-provoking and interesting. Most of us have taken ourselves on a similar journey, but I haven't read about it in this way....

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/00032.html

If you don't have much time or desire to read, just start at the section on Grandma Gatewood. Hard to believe it's NINE years old!

Todd

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Inspiration on 06/28/2011 16:06:27 MDT Print View

I remember that article a while back and it reminded my of my early inspirations as a child.
I had many friends and relatives who roughed it much more than us ultralighter's do.

I remember complaining to my uncle when I was cold in my soaked sleeping bag, cowboy camping in the rain. My uncle said "don't let it bother you" and after a while I didn't and slept well many other nights in similar situations.

I remember camping with people who complained all night about their bombproof 4 season dome tent leaking. When I investigated the next morning, I found out that they were complaining about some light condensation dampening their sleeping bags.

They ended up dropping off the trip as they couldn't stand living in those conditions.

I wanted to say "don't let it bother you", but they were so upset it would have just aggravated the situation. Besides, they were too annoying so I was glad to get rid of them.
Anyway, you can overcome most inconveniences by not letting them bother you and in the enjoy the outdoor experience more.