Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Rethinkin' it
Display Avatars Sort By:
todd h
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: SE
Rethinkin' it on 06/25/2011 20:24:59 MDT Print View

Just decided to browse some articles for the fun of it - completely random wandering.

I came across this and found it thought-provoking and interesting. Most of us have taken ourselves on a similar journey, but I haven't read about it in this way....

If you don't have much time or desire to read, just start at the section on Grandma Gatewood. Hard to believe it's NINE years old!

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Inspiration on 06/28/2011 16:06:27 MDT Print View

I remember that article a while back and it reminded my of my early inspirations as a child.
I had many friends and relatives who roughed it much more than us ultralighter's do.

I remember complaining to my uncle when I was cold in my soaked sleeping bag, cowboy camping in the rain. My uncle said "don't let it bother you" and after a while I didn't and slept well many other nights in similar situations.

I remember camping with people who complained all night about their bombproof 4 season dome tent leaking. When I investigated the next morning, I found out that they were complaining about some light condensation dampening their sleeping bags.

They ended up dropping off the trip as they couldn't stand living in those conditions.

I wanted to say "don't let it bother you", but they were so upset it would have just aggravated the situation. Besides, they were too annoying so I was glad to get rid of them.
Anyway, you can overcome most inconveniences by not letting them bother you and in the enjoy the outdoor experience more.