Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Make Your Own Gear: Five Yards to SuperUltraLight Part 2, Stuff Sack
Display Avatars Sort By:
Carol Crooker
(cmcrooker) - MLife

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA
Make Your Own Gear: Five Yards to SuperUltraLight Part 2, Stuff Sack on 11/29/2006 06:27:20 MST Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Make Your Own Gear: Five Yards to SuperUltraLight Part 2, Stuff Sack

Frank Perkins
(fperkins)

Locale: North East
Re: Make Your Own Gear: Five Yards to SuperUltraLight Part 2, Stuff Sack on 11/29/2006 12:32:49 MST Print View

Cool article, two things:

1) Can the cost be changed to only make the item identified in the article?

2) Mig asked in part I of the article where to buy Spinnaker online. Unfortunately, after searching through the forums, I can't find any online sources. Anyone have a website that's selling it online?

Edited by fperkins on 11/29/2006 12:34:12 MST.

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Re: Re: Make Your Own Gear: Five Yards to SuperUltraLight Part 2, Stuff Sack on 11/29/2006 13:41:55 MST Print View

I have some to sell as well as other
similar fabrics.

another possible source
http://www.therainshed.com/

Dave

owareusa.com

Jay Ham
(jham) - F - M

Locale: Southwest
Make Your Own Gear: Five Yards to SuperUltraLight Part 2, Stuff Sack on 12/01/2006 20:33:34 MST Print View

Frank,

Dave at Oware is great to deal with, and has the fabric. I would definately use him for a source.

Unfortunately, making a single stuff sack is less economical because you have to buy minimum quantities of fabric and other materials, and shipping cost won't be reduced much. I usually make my stuff sacks from leftover material purchased for other projects. If you wanted to make several stuff sacks, your cost per sack goes down considerably. With a yard of Spinnaker, you could make as many as 10 small stuff sacks, or a fewer combination of larger and smaller, for about $40.

Jay
MYOG

Nick K
(nkline) - MLife

Locale: Northeast U.S.
Re: fabric updates & sources on 01/06/2009 15:11:28 MST Print View

I noticed the last post was made about two years ago. Since I am considering making the gear discussed in this project, I was wondering if there have been updates on the types of fabric to use and the sources to obtain them.

Other recommendations and/or lessons learned on this project are appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

Edited by nkline on 01/06/2009 15:12:15 MST.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: fabric updates & sources on 01/06/2009 20:19:51 MST Print View

Not many changes in the last year or so.

Cheers

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Sources on 10/30/2009 21:07:41 MDT Print View

Thru-Hiker.com has a stuff sack kit that is an economical way to obtain the necessary materials. The 'premium' kit includes 0.7oz SpinTex, 5 small cord locks and ample draw string (although I do wish it was lighter spectra cord). You can buy this for $19.95 and make 5 stuff sacks with it. With some extra cord and cord locks you could make a lot more than 5 sacks if they were small ones.

So far I have made a small sack (about 2L) for my 'essentials' and another similarly sized sack for my pot. Both weigh 6-7g (0.2 to 0.25oz). I've also make a sack for my stakes that weighs 2g (0.1oz). I have a lot of fabric left (about 75% of it). I could definitely make some bigger sacks but I'm a bit nervous about using this material for higher stress applications like a food bag.