Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Sun Gloves?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jeff Jeff
(TwoFortyJeff) - F
Re: Sun Gloves? on 06/03/2013 18:03:42 MDT Print View

I used coolibar sun gloves on the PCT. I only carried a small tube of sunblock for my face. It worked very well.

Hart -
(backpackerchick) - MLife

Locale: Planet Earth
Coolibar -- fingerless or full-fingered on 06/03/2013 18:21:26 MDT Print View

Jeff:

Thanks for introducing me to the brand. Some useful looking sun accessories.

Which gloves? Fingerless or full fingered.

http://www.coolibar.com/category/Sun-Accessories/Gloves-Sleeves/pc/2264/2298.uts

I generally walk with sticks when I backpack which heavily exposes my thumbs. The fingerless look short in the thumbs...like most such gloves...which seem to be aimed at anglers. I want the thumb covered to the nail bed. The fingers are fine as the hand is curled and the distal segments are in the shadows.

I think B.G. might have the right idea on this one.

Edited by backpackerchick on 06/03/2013 19:15:02 MDT.

jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

Locale: Northern California
Sun Gloves?" on 06/03/2013 19:14:04 MDT Print View

Sungrubbies cover all fingers and thumb up to the last knuckle. I use hiking poles and find that I wrap my fingers around the poles, and that pretty effectively protects the final exposed area of my thumb/fingers. YMMV.

Hart -

Thumbs on 06/03/2013 19:16:13 MDT Print View

It just occurred to me that everyone may not grip their walking sticks the same! I am a skier and and I do the under and over and tighten the strap to create a solid platform. I can't conceive of doing it any other way. (Except for the click in ski poles.) The angle really makes for intense exposure on the top of my thumbs. I might not be making sense with my sunburned thumbs! Sorry.

Yeah, fingers are fine even just covered to the PIP. My issue is the thumbs!

If I don't find anything better, I will probably continue to use the Patagonia or OR versions and bring a little role of gauze or fabric for the thumb. Tape would work but will break down the skin eventually.

full coverage
I can easily keep everything covered except the thumbs! As others have mentioned, the fingers are fine as they are wrapped around the stick and in the shadows.

Edited by backpackerchick on 06/03/2013 19:29:44 MDT.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Idea! on 06/03/2013 19:34:24 MDT Print View

Maybe I'm crazy... but take a 3-inch x 3-inch square of any fabric- a cotton bandanna, a piece of silnylon, a square of silk, and superglue the very center to the top of your pole with a little dot of glue.

If you cut it to size, it should just gently rest over the top of your hand while remaining highly ventilated and not getting caught anywhere.

Jeff Jeff
(TwoFortyJeff) - F
Re: Coolibar -- fingerless or full-fingered on 06/03/2013 20:02:40 MDT Print View

I used the fingerless, although they were different in 2008. They were white. The palm cutout was larger and they didn't have the rubber grips.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Something Odd and Different for Your Hands on 06/03/2013 23:22:29 MDT Print View

I used Sun Precautions Hand Guards on my 2011 JMT trip after my friend, Linda, used them on a short trip we took together.

They are "unique" in that they leave your hands free and not sweaty because it is not a glove.

Only negative is that they can be a bit "floppy" and look strange, but they worked well for me.

Never used sunscreen on my hands the whole 15 days out and I use hiking poles with them no problem.

http://www.sunprecautions.com/product/31300Hand Guards

Might work for you too.

-Tony

Peter Longobardi
(paintplongo) - F

Locale: Hopefully on the Trail
+2 Glacier Glove on 06/04/2013 07:34:17 MDT Print View

I'd also recommend Glacier Gloves. They're pretty durable, inexpensive and offer all kinds of options(also known as Dr. Shade).

Michael K
(chinookhead) - F - M
+3 Glacier gloves (Dr. Shades) on 06/04/2013 11:27:57 MDT Print View

I use the regular Glacier gloves sun gloves (Dr. Shades) for hiking the most. The reason why I picked these over the other brands is exactly what you are complaining about. The other gloves don't go far enough down. These are more like 3/4 length fingerless and they cover my thumb up to the tip. They are not hot and they dry very fast. You can also pick these up at fly fishing shops and Bass Pro etc.

When I fish or paddle I like the Glacier glove version with a plastic palm called "Ascension Bay Sun Glove" for a better grip on the paddle or fish. These are also 3/4 length and will cover your thumbs. They will last longer with trekking pole use, but are a bit warmer then the 1st gloves that I mentioned.

If I'm doing some scrambling, rope work, and climbing I use the "Warmers" brand sun gloves because they have a synthetic palm that deal with the abrasion better. You probably won't like these b/c they are half length and the top half of your thumb is exposed.

Edited by chinookhead on 06/04/2013 16:35:00 MDT.

Hart -

Stylin' Sun Gloves on 06/11/2013 18:40:32 MDT Print View

sun glove

Too big. (They only come in 2 sizes.) And I don't like the rough seams. Cover the thumbs though. Quality not up to OR and Patagonia offerings (which are short in the thumb and do not provide sufficient coverage for me when using sticks). And they are totally me! Bummer.

Stylish, none the less.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Stylin' Sun Gloves on 06/11/2013 20:39:48 MDT Print View

Go to home depot and try these on. You may not like them, but they are light. I wore them on a hot hike and didn't mind them.

http://gossamergear.com/wp/tips/3505

Hart -

Gorilla on 06/11/2013 23:56:39 MDT Print View

Re: http://gossamergear.com/wp/tips/3505

Thanks John!

Those might be a good find. Price is good too.

Edited by backpackerchick on 06/11/2013 23:58:31 MDT.