Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Why do A-holes drink light beer?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: Modus in a can on 07/06/2011 11:22:55 MDT Print View

Ruination in a can- now we're talkin.
Union Jack in a can wold be awesome too.
If Lagunitas did sumpin sumpin it would be a winner too, although if you've had one Lagunitas- you've had em all

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
Re: Re: Re: Modus in a can on 07/06/2011 11:29:23 MDT Print View

since we're building a dream team:

founders oatmeal breakfast stout
cigar city oaked jai alai
stone double Bastard
pliny the elder
ayinger celebrator
delerium nocturnum

universe, please make this happen.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: Re: Re: Modus in a can on 07/06/2011 11:56:20 MDT Print View

C,mon, Universe!

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Why don't A-holes drink quality beer?" on 07/06/2011 13:03:09 MDT Print View

Down here in the Land of Enchantment we get Santa Fe Brewing Co. Happy Camper IPA in a classy all yellow can with the state Zia symbol on it. It's a great alternative to Modus, perhaps better IMO because the vessel is just so killer. NM represent!

Happy Camper IPA Santa Fe Brewing Co.

Brendan Swihart
(brendans) - MLife

Locale: Fruita CO
Re: "Why don't A-holes drink quality beer?" on 07/06/2011 13:09:31 MDT Print View

wow that's a beautiful can...

spelt with a t
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Re: Re: Modus in a can on 07/06/2011 13:12:08 MDT Print View

I'm don't really care for the hop bombs. Stone's regular IPA is one of my faves, but I know it's not enough of an IPA for the dedicated hopheads.

Different tastes! But I'm pretty sure we all agree micros in cans is a beautiful thing. :)

Edited by spelt on 07/06/2011 13:14:22 MDT.

b s
(smyth) - F
Re: Re: Re: Modus in a can on 07/06/2011 13:49:37 MDT Print View

Don't care for hops? Blasphemy! ;) If it's stout in a can you desire, Ten Fidy from Oskar Blues might do the trick.

Lovely can Euguene.

Can we start a dedicated craft can thread? These always pop up now and then but get lost in the shuffle. Then when I'm looking for new brews to try out on a trip, I can never find them again.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Re: Re: Re: Modus in a can on 07/06/2011 18:44:12 MDT Print View

Meh, I would rather drink wine. This is coming from someone who worked for a brewery for 13 years and is an educated beer guy.

Give me a nice pinot, cab, riesling or balanced chard anyday

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Us A-holes and the beer we drink... on 07/06/2011 19:48:35 MDT Print View

(Notice the Bud can with lid cut off, being used as a whiskey cup...)

Sometimes us a$$holes are too broke, too lazy, or just plain don't care enough to shell out for fancy beer, whiskey, liquor, wine, whatever.

Many many many years ago I learned an important lesson about light beer. On my first salmon fishing trip with my uncle and some of his friends, good 'ol boys for sure, I was offered my first Coors Light at 4AM while packing up the truck to head to the river. I declined, preferring instead my very "white-collar-nephew-that-must-be-from-the-city" Sierra Nevada. We got to our fishing spot at about 4:30AM, waiting now for the salmon to start moving in the darkness. Our second beers were cracked...again, my Sierra Nevada and their Coors Lights. A few fish, many hours, and even more beers later, I was trashed. My uncle and his friends? Steady as ever, a nice clean buzz going. Me? I was ready for bed at 9AM. Now that I knew how they drank, the next day went better. I stuck with Coors Light, drank from before dawn until after midnight, and had a great 18 hour buzz. I didn't realize until later that it was a little insulting to them, as a guest, that I would turn down their beers, for something I brought for myself. Since then, I don't show up at my uncle's without at least a case of Coors Light to share. Gladly.

When in Rome, do as the Romans...

I'll happily share a can, bottle, barrel, cask, jug, fifth, or vat of anything, in any quantity, with anybody, anytime, anywhere...and love it all up.

I guess turning down cheep liquor is what happens when punks grow up. I'm still trying to resist!
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Three guys are riding in their truck, drinking bottle of Coors Light, having a good ol' time.

The driver looks in the mirror and sees the flashing lights of a police car so he pulls over.

The other two are real nervous, "Oh $hit, we've got open containers!"

"No," the driver says, "just do this: pull the label off of your beer bottle and stick it to your forehead and let me do the talking." So they all pull the labels off their bottles and stick 'em to their foreheads.

The policeman walks up and says, "You boys were swerving down the road. Have you been drinking tonight?"

The driver says, "Oh, no officer," and points to his forehead, "we're on the patch, trying to quit."

Edited by xnomanx on 07/06/2011 20:04:52 MDT.

a b
(Ice-axe)
A-holes drinking beer in the 100 mile wilderness of Maine on 07/06/2011 20:06:27 MDT Print View

A-holes drinking Budweiser. They might be A-holes but they are my friends...
I met a few fellas on my AT thru hike. These youngsters got the idea to pack a case.. yes 24 beers each, into the 100 mile wilderness. Personally i am fond of a single flask of Yukon Jack (The Black Sheep of Canadian Liquor.. for good reason!), for medicinal purposes of course. Besides I am way to old and pasty to carry a 24 pack of beer.
Woty "preparing" for the 100 mile wildernessWoty and Lunchbox loading "vital" supplies for the 100 mile wilderness

Edited by Ice-axe on 07/06/2011 20:07:58 MDT.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Us A-holes and the beer we drink... on 07/06/2011 20:25:09 MDT Print View

ahhhhhh Craig, us grown up PUNKS love to drink anything. Yes you are correct, when in Rome, .........

Crap beer was what kept me sober playing music. People were always astounded by how much beer one of my old bands would consume. When it is Bud, it does not take that much to keep pace!

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Re: Us A-holes and the beer we drink... on 07/08/2011 13:23:05 MDT Print View

Ken, I dont mind a good wine either. there are several boxed wines that I've shared around the campfire. boxed wine had a bad image in the past.. not so true anymore. same goes for beer in cans.
have any fave's you would like to recommend?

Edited by mikeinfhaz on 07/08/2011 20:38:58 MDT.

James Lantz
(jameslantz) - F

Locale: North Georgia
Light Beer & A-holes on 07/08/2011 20:37:16 MDT Print View

The underlying problem here is one of brewing instead of distilling. If beer (barley) was allowed to continue the proper maturation, you would end up with the environmentally friendly,non refrigerated, easily adapted to UL backpacking wonder known as single malt scotch or at a bare minimum Irish whisky!

Daniel Fosse
(magillagorilla) - F

Locale: Southwest Ohio
craft beer in cans on 07/12/2011 08:56:13 MDT Print View

I'm interested in this craft beer available in cans, but I had a technical question. Do you find it had to keep your pinky finger on the can when you are drinking it?

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Why do A-holes drink light beer? on 07/12/2011 09:22:10 MDT Print View

Last weekend it was red wine, this weekend it was twelve-year single malt. I love beer but it's quite a bit too heavy to take on most backpacking trips. Now canoeing... well that's another story all together.

Daniel Fosse
(magillagorilla) - F

Locale: Southwest Ohio
Re: Why do A-holes drink light beer? on 07/12/2011 09:38:50 MDT Print View

.... you mean cabrewing

Arn Aarreberg
(aarrebea) - M

Locale: Northern Bay Area, CA
Why do A-holes drink light beer? on 07/12/2011 13:31:26 MDT Print View

Figured this was the perfect place to pass along this gem.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2010/08/06/beer_backpacking_camping_brewski_080610.DTL

Best part, one of the comments at the bottom someone says, " One of the reasons to buy light gear is so you can backpack in more beer!" Classic!

Edited by aarrebea on 07/12/2011 13:39:01 MDT.

Dustin Short
(upalachango) - MLife
Maybe it's AZ on 07/24/2011 00:57:44 MDT Print View

Mike,

I'm glad to see another craft fan from AZ. I think AZ has a slightly different attitude towards beer than most of the country.

I was just up in Jacks Canyon and unfortunately found some beer related litter. No cans, or bottles, but there were a few bottle caps from some STONE beers. I was impressed at the litter-bugs taste, and at least thankful they took out the bottles (or hid them well in the overgrown grapevines) but still wish they had picked up the caps.

On a similar note, at the summit of Mt. Humphrey's I was talking with a group of college of kids from NAU. They pulled out their lunch and had brought KILTLIFTER cans. They were kind enough to offer me one and I have to say I've never had a better tasting beer in m life (never mind that kilt is my go to beer here in Phoenix). I've built up a strong tolerance to that brew (I've seen it knock down plenty of seasoned alcoholics in just a few pints) but with the altitude it just the one can packed a punch I probably should've avoided. Either way, I was quite impressed and enjoyed the hell out of it!
Mountain Top Kiltlifter!

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Re: Maybe it's AZ on 07/24/2011 09:55:25 MDT Print View

man, i can only imagine the impact of a nice scottish ale up on the Hump. any beer would be double the buzz when you go from Phoenix to 12,637 feet.

another good scottish is Old Chub by oskar blues. however, its not much better tasting than Kiltlifter and costs more, also i like to support a directly local economy. and the girls who gather at Four Peaks.. forgettaboutit. its worth the trip down there just for the eye candy.
you MUST get some of four peaks' latest cannery, HopKnot. it is, imho, in the top 10 of american style west coast IPA's. this says alot when you have competition like green flash, racer 5, pliny, sculpin, modus, torpedo/celebration, union jack and a few others. (and i know climbers that visit Jack's, and drink Stone. I wonder.. who packed in bottles? thats ridiculous)

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Why do A-holes drink light beer?" on 07/24/2011 10:37:57 MDT Print View

TeWa, you guys can brew beer without botching secondary fermentation in that blast furnace over there!?

I've never had Four-Peaks, it doesn't even distribute to NM as far as I know. I'll have to request it from my local beer hub and see if they can get some in. Recommendations? Kiltlifter a solid place to start?

I think a new forum needs to be started mods, a Microbrew specific thread, maybe even a "BEER SWAP" forum. It's still on subject, every consumed can can be repurposed as an alky stove. ;-p