Forum Index » Philosophy & Technique » Why do A-holes drink light beer?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Daniel Smith
(scissor) - F
re coors on 06/29/2011 08:37:21 MDT Print View

Funny thing is Coors actually dumps a bunch of money into GALB advertising. Don't believe me? Google it. Admittedly though, Coors is notoriously conservative, but it appears they are trying to change.
As for the light beer snobbery, there is little difference between a PBR or Yuengling and a Coors, Bud etc. The only difference is in the corporations which is vast. So don't be a light beer snob, a lot of light beer is good (especially summer brews). Lets turn the hate toward the big corporate monsters instead. :)

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
Re: re coors on 06/29/2011 12:03:31 MDT Print View

"Lets turn the hate toward the big corporate monsters instead. :)"

you mean like Inbev/AB who decided if DiscoveryChannel was going to continue to run a show about craft beer that they would pull advertising dollars away from the network? that kind of corporate bs? (discovery allegedly abandoned "Brewmasters" following Inbev's demands)
or how about when Inbev/AB decides if they cannot keep up with the craft beer explosion, they will just absorb (read: buy out) the craft breweries they have distribution rights to? Heard of Goose Island?

A/B is a big player in the craft beer guild. they are watching the revolution. for every craft beer that hits the shelf by other distributors, that is one less space for bud light to consume.

so be it! you make a shi%%y product, it will be replaced with something better.

and yes, there are a bunch of light beers that are great. Nimbus A-1, SanTan Hefeweizen, Four Peaks SunBru, Ska Mexican Logger, to name a few in my area.
AB just needs to print "please dont litter" a little louder on all those discarded cans. not that it's their responsibility, but still...

Edited by mikeinfhaz on 06/29/2011 12:12:13 MDT.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Why do A-holes drink light beer? on 06/29/2011 13:17:05 MDT Print View

Less filling.

patrick walsh
(apbt1976) - F
What i call light beer... on 06/29/2011 19:23:22 MDT Print View

http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaeljames/362930470/

I have however been know to indulge in a Yuengling or two when passing through Pennsylvania. Def best domestic urine water light beer by far!!

I toured the Goose Island Brewery years ago when i was in Chicago for a bike race. They also made a few decent beers imop. My buddy whom took me and was a Chicago native and responsible for turning me onto Goose Island explained the whole giant conglomerate buying up all the craft brewers to me.

Doesn't the world just suck?!!!

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: What i call light beer... on 06/29/2011 19:51:06 MDT Print View

Lagers should be illegal anyway

John West
(skyzo)

Locale: Borah Gear
lagers on 06/29/2011 19:56:41 MDT Print View

+1 to Jeff's comment. I can't even recall the last time I bought a lager.
Last lager I had was probably a honey lager I brewed 2-3 years ago.

Making your own beer is the way to go. Any style you feel like drinking, you can make it. 5 gallons of beer for ~$20 or less.

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Re: Re: re coors on 06/29/2011 21:47:18 MDT Print View

To be honest, once I was backpacking and when I pulled into camp, there were a couple guys there with a cooler full of Coors Light. They had horses bring it in. We asked why they brought so much of it and they said, because we can. They offered us some. A long hot 16 miles and someone offers you an ice cold beer? It has to be one of the most refreshing beers I've ever had. They were really nice people and we got an earful of funny backpacking stories around the campfire with them.

Peter Treiber
(peterbt) - M

Locale: A^2
Beer on 06/29/2011 21:50:33 MDT Print View

It sure would be a quality-of-life upgrade if Two-Hearted came in a can. Or Huma Lupa Licious, being brewed up in Michigan hiking territory anyway...

Mark Primack
(Bufa) - MLife

Locale: Cape Cod and Northern Newfoundland
A few of the best on 06/30/2011 09:06:31 MDT Print View

Just to note a few of the best craft brews(I manage forest land for the owner of one of the largest distributors of both craft brews and pee beers in the country, and get to taste beyond my heart's delight! I am not in the business per se, so these are my opinions, and not a sales pitch.) I admit to a strong preference for IPAs.

Flying Dog Double Pale Ale--11%!!!! and Raging Bitch Belgian IPA

Victory Hop Devil and Hop Wallop

Blue Point Hoptical Illusion

Anything from Rogue and Lagunitas, especially Hop Stupid and Maximus from the later

Heavy Seas Loose Cannon

And finally: Our companies do vast numbers of blind taste tests for employees, accounts, and the public. The consistent top performer among the over 700 beer and ale products we carry is Victory Golden Monkey, a strong ale made with Belgian yeasts.

Some of these are not cheap, but ah, the thrill.

Also, I will never buy Coors. The Coors family have long been the leading financiers of anti-environmental causes and have funded every major attempt to stop governments from purchasing land for state and national parks and forests and to open our national parks and forests to commercial interests, strip logging, dirtbikes, etc.

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Locale: Rockies
Beer on 06/30/2011 09:08:32 MDT Print View

"Making your own beer is the way to go. Any style you feel like drinking, you can make it. 5 gallons of beer for ~$20 or less."

Man, not where I live. I haven't made anything but IPA's in a while but it's $30+ at a minimum. But I make them because it's fun not cheap. Reminds me about a conversation I had about making biodiesel:

Friend: So how much does it cost you to make?
Me: Around a buck a gallon.
Friend: What if you factor in your time?
Me: Uh, $75 per gallon.

We have a great local liquor store with a surprisingly good micro brew selection. They have one door with a camping sign above it. It's all canned micros.

On a short trip, I always take a Modus Hoperandi and a Gubna. I also have them delivered by my personal beer delivery system.

Buddy

Although I think he's catching on. The other day I caught him examining the spreadsheet to see where all the weight in his pack was coming from. Luckily, he doesn't have opposable thumbs so he was unable to use the mouse to click on the consumables tab.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Why do A-holes drink light beer? on 06/30/2011 09:36:00 MDT Print View

I walked about 1200 miles through the Pacific Northwest in '07 and a lot of that walking was done on USFS roads. The quantity of empty, discarded cans of Keystone Light and Busch Light that I saw on that walk was absurd. So, yes, perhaps the people who stereotypically drink light beer are in fact a-holes but that doesn't mean all light beer is bad.

Spent about a week in Michigan recently and was treating myself to various Keweenah craft brews (conveniently available in cans for your outdoor pursuits). Their Pick-Axe Blonde was decidedly light but very tasty.

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Re: Why do A-holes drink light beer? on 06/30/2011 14:53:54 MDT Print View

the growing number or canned goodness is promising. i wonder if bells (and stone, founders, etc..) will follow suit.

Edited by mikeinfhaz on 06/30/2011 14:58:44 MDT.

John West
(skyzo)

Locale: Borah Gear
Homebrew on 07/03/2011 13:36:02 MDT Print View

Randy, I agree, I do it for the fun, not just the cost savings.

I actually just brewed up an IPA a few days ago, total cost for ~48 bottles(5 gals) of 6.5% deliciousness was $19. Granted I had the yeast already, and buy my hops and grains in bulk, but still. Doesnt make me feel quite so guilty about drinking all that beer! :)

Edited by skyzo on 07/03/2011 13:37:09 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Why do A-holes drink light beer? on 07/03/2011 14:16:13 MDT Print View

My last day hike was 13 miles of dirt road from the highway to the trailhead and I only saw one piece of litter the whole way--- a Bud Light box. I couldn't help but think of this thread :)

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Why do A-holes drink light beer? on 07/06/2011 00:01:11 MDT Print View

A-holes.

spelt !
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Re: lagers on 07/06/2011 09:52:12 MDT Print View

Obviously you've never been to Germany. Don't write off lagers until you've had some proper ones.

spelt !
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Stone IPA in a can on 07/06/2011 09:57:04 MDT Print View

If only...

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: lagers on 07/06/2011 10:27:24 MDT Print View

"Obviously you've never been to Germany. Don't write off lagers until you've had some proper ones."

Spelt- fair enough, you are exactly right, and actually I'm glad to hear it, cause, Damn... the lagers I've had are bad bad bad.

Also the 21st Amendment Brewing has an IPA in a can thats ok. Its only 7%, and needs to be poured in a glass, but its nice for a can.

kevin timm
(ktimm) - M

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)
Modus in a can on 07/06/2011 10:33:32 MDT Print View

Modus Hoperandi in a can in my personal fave. In the winter just have the dogs pull a sled of beer :)

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Re: Modus in a can on 07/06/2011 11:15:40 MDT Print View

Modus and Gordon (now g'night) and Dale's oh my!

i personally see nothing outstanding about Stone's IPA. the Ruination is good tho. i'd rather see Racer 5 or Lagunitas first.
finding the newly canned HopKnot can be a chore but its starting to hit more shelves (four peaks brewing, tempe). a hometown favorite! http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2171/12896