Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
JMT logistical question
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kris Sherwood
(Tuskadero) - F

Locale: Washington State
JMT logistical question on 06/23/2011 14:51:40 MDT Print View

Hi all. I have a question that I am sure I could find the answer to but I seem to be striking out on the net.

Starting at Happy Isles for our thru hike, our plan is to skip Half Dome and instead take the Clouds Rest junction and head up to CR. My question is this. Do we do the 12-14 mile up and back and continue on the JMT from the junction? Or can we continue on the CR trail and eventually meet back with the JMT farther up trail?

If you can, is one route shorter or longer? Does anyone have a recommendation on how to proceed with side tripping to Clouds Rest?

Thanks for all tips and suggestion!

Kris

First Last
(snusmumriken) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Only 3.2 miles on 06/23/2011 17:28:03 MDT Print View

On my map it is only 3.2 miles from the junction of JMT up to the top of Clouds Rest.

Top of Half Dome is even shorter at only 2 miles from the JMT junction, but then of course you have to deal with the crowds, lines and craziness at the cables.

So doing Clouds Rest instead of Half Dome adds a couple of miles to your route but its no biggie. Just hike up, enjoy the view, hike back down and continue on the JMT.

Robert Perkins
(rp3957)

Locale: The Sierras
JMT logistical question on 06/23/2011 18:54:10 MDT Print View

Kris, You can do the Clouds Rest trail detour and meet back up with the JMT at Sunrise. It adds about 3 miles to the total of your JMT hike. As long as your not a JMT 'purist' the CR route is much more scenic then the JMT portion you will be missing out on. I don't have my maps in front of me now, so I might be off a bit on the additional mileage, but not by much.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
JMT logistical question on 06/23/2011 20:36:00 MDT Print View

Kris,

Here's the link to the YNP Wilderness TH map. Not for navigation but you can see the 2 trails linking CR back to the JMT:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/loader.cfm?csModule=security/getfile&PageID=292137

Kris Sherwood
(Tuskadero) - F

Locale: Washington State
Re: JMT logistical question on 06/23/2011 20:44:54 MDT Print View

Thanks guys! I am far from a purist. I am all about the most enjoyment in my limited time away from home and work.

Edited by Tuskadero on 06/23/2011 20:45:35 MDT.

Brian Raap
(braap) - F

Locale: Bay Area
Re: JMT logistical question on 06/24/2011 01:46:02 MDT Print View

I did the CR detour on my JMT hike last summer and definitely would recommend it. The views from the top our outstanding. However, it does make for two high elevation-gain days in a row at the start of the trip, where you are least acclimated and out of shape. But it is worth it and the camping at Sunrise Lakes is very nice!

Chris Morgan
(ChrisMorgan) - F

Locale: Southern Oregon
Re: Re: JMT logistical question on 06/24/2011 02:24:48 MDT Print View

A

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: JMT logistical question on 06/24/2011 02:37:11 MDT Print View

"But it is worth it and the camping at Sunrise Lakes is very nice!"

The first of the Sunrise Lakes (the most southwest) is the spot where most beginners stop, because they've just come up the big hill from Tenaya Lake, and they can't go any further. So, that is the spot where the food is protected the worst, so that is where the bears hit first. Back in the days before bear canisters, there used to be eight or ten shredded bear bag cords dangling from the various _wrong_ tree branches.

That detour is just a few miles out of the way, but there is some additional elevation gain. However, the section of the JMT that you are bypassing has few redeeming qualities, other than being slightly shorter.

--B.G.--