Help with hikes in Zion/Bryce/Sedona/Arches
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dan Briggs
(dbriggs9) - F

Locale: Southeast
Help with hikes in Zion/Bryce/Sedona/Arches on 06/23/2011 13:34:00 MDT Print View

Hey everyone, just got an awesome phone call from my parents, asking if I would like to go park hop between Zion, Bryce, Sedona, Arches and the Grand Canyon the last week of October. Why wouldn't I???
Probably won't get to all of those in our 9 days, but we'll see.

Since I'll be with my parents I won't be backpacking the whole time, but I'd like to do an overnight hike or two in a couple of those parks. The Narrows in Zion is high on my list at the moment, but looks to be more of a long-day hike.
I've also read good things about the Under-the-Rim Trail in Bryce, but other than these trails, all I can come across are short day hikes.

I'm under the assumption that much of the backpacking is done off-trail in these areas, something I unfortunately have no experience with.
What do you guys recommend I do? A bunch of day hikes? Or are there any 20-30 mile trails in Zion, Bryce, Sedona, or Arches besides the Under the Rim Trail?
What are your favorite hikes in these areas (Zion, Bryce, Sedona, Arches)?

Any input/advice is welcome.

Brendan Swihart
(brendans) - MLife

Locale: Fruita CO
Re: Help with hikes in Zion/Bryce/Sedona/Arches on 06/23/2011 15:39:23 MDT Print View

You could go to the Needles section of Canyonlands. Tons of trails there that you can link up and make loops of whatever length you want. That's probably your best bet in the area if you're going to NPs.

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Help with hikes in Zion/Bryce/Sedona/Arches on 06/23/2011 19:56:08 MDT Print View

Second the Canyonlands NP Needles - all sorts of fun overnight loops but you will be carrying your water. Sedona is mostly for dayhikers but some backpacking towards Cottonwood (Sycamore Ck). Check my earlier photos on my link for Canyonlands.

All the easy to access spots in Zion are for dayhikers but there's a free bus (at least free back in 07).

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
re: zion/bryce/moab on 06/23/2011 20:26:52 MDT Print View

The Narrows is a fine overnight hike. Depending on the time of year getting a permit can be tricky. It's also a fine dayhike, though not for folks with poor balance or weak ankles. It can take folks 6 hours or 14+ depending.

The Under the Rim would be perfect for an overnight, especially if your folks will drive shuttle. They can drop you off at the south end, get in a hike themselves, and pick you up the next day.

Needles is the best beginner backpacking area in SW Utah.

Dan Briggs
(dbriggs9) - F

Locale: Southeast
Need help with Needles District loops ASAP on 10/16/2011 09:02:30 MDT Print View

Wow, sorry I didn't respond earlier, kinda forgot about this trip for little bit. It's coming up in four days though and I've decided to do the Narrows with campsite #6 reserved.

Now I'm just trying to decide on which loop(s) to do in the Needles so I can make a reservation (man, I'm such a procrastinator). I think I want to do the Elephant Canyon/Druid Arch loop, and I would like to squeeze one more in, but I may be pressed for time.
I'll be starting the Druid Arch trail early in the morning on Wednesday the 26 of this month and am expected to be picked up between noon and 2pm on the 27th.
The Druid Arch loop is only 11 miles, but I'm having trouble finding elevation changes for it. I've really only hiked the southern AT (done everything from Springer to Damascus, except the Smokys) and normally do 12-15 miles a day with a partner, potentially more if alone.

How strenuous is the Druid Arch loop? Do you think I could squeeze in another loop by 2pm on the 27th?

It looks like my only other option for a second loop starting from the same trailhead as Druid is the Chesler Park Loop/Joint trail, also 11 miles. That's a day and a half to cover 22 miles, with the Chesler Park loop being "fairly level" according the NPS. Sitting here at home, I'm pretty sure I could do it without being too rushed, but It'd be great to hear from someone who has hiked these trails to give me some insight.

Thanks,
Dan

Edited by dbriggs9 on 10/16/2011 09:04:03 MDT.