What size zipper for tarptent beak?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Sumi Wada
(DetroitTigerFan) - F

Locale: Ann Arbor
What size zipper for tarptent beak? on 06/23/2011 10:44:33 MDT Print View

I'm making a silnylon tarptent with a full zippered beak. I ordered #8 coil zipper without really thinking and, wow, it's huge and pretty heavy. What size zippers are you all using? Any pros/cons I should consider about going lighter/smaller? TIA.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: What size zipper for tarptent beak? on 06/23/2011 11:20:11 MDT Print View

Sumi,

I used a #5 from Quest Outfitters because, as I remember it, that was all they had in stock at the time.

Quest now stocks #3 and #5 WATERPROOF URETEK ZIPPER - YKK, along with the reversible #5 coil zipper sliders (#5043) for the #5 uretek zipper and reversible #3 coil zipper sliders (#5055)for the #3 uretek zipper.

The #5 is working fine for me on my tarp beak. I am curious as to whether or not the #3 would be sufficient for the same purpose. ;-?

Party On,

Newton

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: What size zipper for tarptent beak? on 06/23/2011 11:36:18 MDT Print View

+1 to what Newton said

I always use #5 but I'm thinking #3 would be just as good but slightly lighter

owfinc.com and thruhiker.com also have some #3 but not as large a selection as #5

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Zipper size on 06/23/2011 12:51:18 MDT Print View

I believe Tarptent and most UL tent makers use a #3

Sumi Wada
(DetroitTigerFan) - F

Locale: Ann Arbor
Re: Zipper size on 06/23/2011 14:27:53 MDT Print View

>> I believe Tarptent and most UL tent makers use a #3

Great -- I think I'm going to go with the #3 and see how it works out.

Thanks!

Ron Bell
(mountainlaureldesigns) - F - M

Locale: USA
Re: What size zipper for tarptent beak? on 06/23/2011 15:33:22 MDT Print View

We like the #5 water resistant type on the shelters- the #3 non WR on theBivys and InnerNets

What ever size you use - try to properly clean and lube the zipper once a year - or maybe more often if you use it in very dusty/sandy places.

Usually the first thing that wears out is the slider - the softer aluminum in the slider can abrade if grit gets on the teeth. Up side is the slider is easy to replace vs the teeth. A storm flap over the zipper can help keep some dirt off of it. I might venture a guess that 50-75 beach camping nights could wear out a zipper slider if it is not cleaned. A #5 slider might last 25-50% longer than a #3 under the same conditions.

Very little difference in weight overall between the two on a short piece for a door.

Also - do not zip it up or down if the zipper is under much tension cross ways.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: What size zipper for tarptent beak? on 06/23/2011 15:49:52 MDT Print View

I've used #3 coil/coil zips on all my tents, summer and winter, for many years. That size works well for me, but I take care of my gear. As Ron wrote, definitely!

But I am not sure all the sliders are aluminium: I think some of mine are another harder metal.

Cheers

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Re: Zipper maintenance? on 06/23/2011 16:05:32 MDT Print View

> What ever size you use - try to properly clean and lube the zipper once a year

Aside from blowing it perhaps with compressed air, I've never heard of lubing a tent zipper. WD-40? 123 household oil?

I used a #3 non-WP coil zipper on my tarp's mesh door.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Zipper maintenance? on 06/23/2011 16:08:09 MDT Print View

Google "zipper lube"

You'll find many.
I use McNett.

Edited by greg23 on 06/23/2011 16:08:39 MDT.