Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » 2oz pad

Display Avatars Sort By:
John West
(skyzo) - F

Locale: Borah Gear
pad on 07/28/2011 19:47:49 MDT Print View

Cameron,
that stuff is not it either unfortunantly. You can see the individual bubbles in the picture. This is almost sort of a bubble "row", with air tubes connecting the bubbles.

Jeremy,

hopefully Panasonic will answer back!

Edited by skyzo on 07/28/2011 19:48:19 MDT.

Michael Moore
(lilricky) - F
Might have found the channeled bubble wrap manufacturer... on 07/31/2011 15:05:37 MDT Print View

I got a package from Panasonic a few months ago, a replacement Blu-ray for one that went south on me. So when I read this thread I went to the box and viola! The channeled bubble wrap was there! Also, it seems that I got the start or end of a roll, because it has the words, Airpouch on it. After a quick google search, I found this: http://www.autobag.com/Packaging-Systems/Void-Fill-Air-Pillow-Systems/AirPouch-FastWrap-Technical.aspx
Something called Airpouch Fastwrap, which creates "Patent-pending honeycomb bubble pattern is channeled, allowing multi-directional wrapping and improved product protection"

patrick agius
(Streamline) - F
Connected bubble goodness on 08/01/2011 13:41:09 MDT Print View

I have 15+ foot of this that I may be persuaded to part with. It is 12"inches wide and each section is 11"inches. I have two long pieces making up the length I listed.
I also may be able to get my hands on more but only in incoming packages so it wouldn't be on-demand.

The stuff I have has the Sealed Air New Air I.B. mark on it. The air chambers are connected along the 12" side.

I weight 165 and stood on it on one foot and there seemed to be no ill effect.

Edited by Streamline on 08/01/2011 13:53:39 MDT.

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."
I'll take some of them! on 08/01/2011 15:36:10 MDT Print View

And test them on the trail and be glad to paypal you the cost of postage and whatever you think it's worth.

Stargazer

P.S. If I understand your post correctly, I'd want to tape two sides together to make about a 24-inch width. The sections don't need to be together longer than a total of 44 inches or so to cover my torso and knees, but I'll be glad to take whatever you have on hand in whatever length.

Edited by nerdboy52 on 08/01/2011 17:30:39 MDT.

patrick agius
(Streamline) - F
Sounds good on 08/01/2011 19:49:26 MDT Print View

I have a box at work that I will get some in. I will let you know the postage and you can paypal that to me.

The cost will be ONE MILLION DOLLARS … ONE MILLION DOLLARS … ;-) sorry for the bad Austin Powers reference.

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

Great! on 08/01/2011 22:33:09 MDT Print View

Tom Burns
tlburns@owu.edu

Stargazer

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

Tried it out! on 08/29/2011 15:02:07 MDT Print View

It has its advantages and disadvantages. It's a bit noisy, but very lightweight. The main problem is its bulk. It won't fit into the pad holder on my zPacks pack, so I have to strap it to the outside. Cutting it to size is also a bit problematic. If you miss the mark, you'll deflate a whole row or maybe the whole danged hunk. I didn't want to find out, given the smallish sample I had to work with. It's easy to tape together the hunks with clear mailing tape, which sticks them together very well.

I'm not sure its any warmer than foam. It certainly is a more comfortable buffer between the my body and the hard, hard ground, but a layer of leaves works just as well -- if they are available.

I'll post more extensive findings as soon as I give it a second sleep, I hope this weekend.

Tom B.

patrick agius
(Streamline) - F
Hey I thought that was a pretty good bit of it. :( on 08/29/2011 19:03:11 MDT Print View

I am really glad you got to try it out. The stuff is bulky for sure though. We don't get that type in often but I will keep my eyes open.

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

It was big! on 08/29/2011 19:32:42 MDT Print View

It was a big sample, but I'm a conservative by nature, if not politically. :-) What can I say. If I screwed it up, I wouldn't have enough to play with to make another one. Thanks for sending it to me!

Stargazer

Ryan Biggin
(cinatit48) - F
Sealed Air IB Express on 10/17/2012 15:25:59 MDT Print View

Hello All,

My name is Ryan. I notice this thread is quite old, however I am the owner of one of the machines that produces this brilliant product and If I can help anyone here out then I would be happy to do so. Feel free to send me a PM or email me at cinatit48@gmail.com

Regards

Ryan

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Sealed Air IB Express on 10/21/2012 19:57:15 MDT Print View

Ryan,

You should get hold of Lawson Kline from Mountain fitter
http://LawsonEquipment.com/

He sells the good stuff like this that everybody wants and needs (like me).