Forum Index » Fishing » *Lightweight* Saltwater Kit

Display Avatars Sort By:
Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
*Lightweight* Saltwater Kit on 06/19/2011 13:29:38 MDT Print View

Not much talk about saltwater around here...
I'll be doing a 100 mile yo-yo through the Sinkyone and Lost Coast next week. Here's my surf fishing kit, mostly for targeting perch and smaller fish using a Carolina rig:

Rod:
St. Croix Wild River, 8.5 ft., 8-12 pound fast action (my favorite surf rod EVER. Length gives great casting ability in surf, great action.)
Reel:
Shimano Sedona 4000FB (Fancy is bad for surf fishing...reels don't like salt and sand and you're inevitably going to dunk it.)

Tackle:
Akiokun flybox; 12 sinkers, swivels, Owner Mosquito Hooks #2-6, beads, forceps, clippers on zip.
Two spools leader material; 6# and 10# fluorocarbon.

Lures/Bait:
16 grubs (various colors, motor oil red flake is my favorite)
Gulp Powerbait camo sandworms
(I'll also dig crabs and use mussels if I can...Don't know what's available up there though.)
__________________________________________________________________________________

Complete kit weighed in at 1 pound, 14 ounces.
I suppose one could go lighter, but this is what I've got.

Edited by xnomanx on 06/19/2011 13:40:22 MDT.

Richard Scruggs
(JRScruggs) - MLife

Locale: Oregon
Re: *Lightweight* Saltwater Kit on 06/19/2011 13:40:37 MDT Print View

Handline?

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: *Lightweight* Saltwater Kit on 06/19/2011 14:15:18 MDT Print View

Salmon are running good now up here. Fishing is usually good around Shelter Cove, with the up-welling current pushing everything at you.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: *Lightweight* Saltwater Kit on 06/19/2011 17:14:17 MDT Print View

"Handline?"

No thanks. While I know it's doable, I want to fish with gear.

Thanks Ken. I was wondering if I'd hit the salmon or not. This rod/reel combo is also what I've used for spinning for salmon/steelhead (I typically flyfish in freshwater though). I don't have any experience fishing for them in saltwater...Anything you'd recommend using for them up there?

Johan Westring
(Johan) - MLife
Re: *Lightweight* Saltwater Kit on 06/29/2011 08:02:20 MDT Print View

Nice kit!

Edited by Johan on 06/30/2011 02:20:10 MDT.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
*Lightweight* Saltwater Kit on 06/29/2011 08:06:23 MDT Print View

I swear, I read posts like this, and realize I live the most boring life ever.

Craig Price
(skeets) - MLife

Locale: Melbourne, Australia
rods and reels on 07/15/2011 03:20:04 MDT Print View

not sure from the photos, but it looks like a 2 piece rod. have a look at Cabelas for options - they sell a range of multi piece rods that would fit better into your pack (I can recommend their name brand as a cheap alternative to bigger named brands), and great deals on reels in the 1000-2000 range if you wanted to go lighter (and would be more than enough for shore based angling). have you spooled with braid or fusion?

Why did you pick softies with lead weights instead of hard bodies or blades? the weight is similar with either, was it the cost factor - but you said salmon, which is normally beach, not rocks, so not sure what you are targeting?

also, are those scissor pliers? Since you seem to have nippers, I suspect not. if not, grab a pair of scissor pliers, you get the forceps with the instrument for cutting nylon, all you need (Cabelas have a cheap pair at $18 for 5.5 inch version you have). you can then dump the nippers - but attach the forceps to the zinger!! otherwise, you WILL lose them.

Craig

Edited by skeets on 07/15/2011 03:27:59 MDT.

Ben Feldman
(fenbeldman) - MLife

Locale: Bay Area
how'd it go? on 07/07/2012 16:27:49 MDT Print View

Hi Craig--

How was the fishing? What changes would you make to the kit?

-Ben

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: how'd it go? on 07/07/2012 17:07:57 MDT Print View

He did not fish and left the trail early.

Ben Feldman
(fenbeldman) - MLife

Locale: Bay Area
@Ken, what's your kit? on 07/10/2012 12:23:33 MDT Print View

what recommendations would you make to a coastal fishing noob?

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: @Ken, what's your kit? on 07/10/2012 18:28:52 MDT Print View

No fishing gear,Ben. I am no help. I have not fished in 25 years.

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
Not so -- *Lightweight* Saltwater Kit on 07/11/2012 01:46:47 MDT Print View

I do a lot of fly fishing from the beaches and don't skimp on gear. If I'm fishing salmon, I will leave the pack rod at home and take one of my Sage 2-piece rods (6 to 9 weight depending on the species of salmon I'm fishing for). The salmon cruise the beaches in shallow water, so a slow sink-tip line on an Islander reel (sized to match the rod) is my choice. These can be sizable, scrappy fish in windy conditions, so I like to take the appropriate gear and will carry the extra gear weight for performance. I guess these are my luxury items, I buy expensive rods and reels and I like to use them.

Craig Price
(skeets) - MLife

Locale: Melbourne, Australia
Re: Re: how'd it go? on 08/04/2012 00:42:22 MDT Print View

actually, been too busy fishing to watch the forums. in july i went all the way to kiritibati. awesome.