Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Keep pad from slipping with velcro?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Chris Alonso
(BigSpooky) - F
Keep pad from slipping with velcro? on 06/19/2011 12:51:32 MDT Print View

I have a MLD ultralight bivvy and a 1/2 length neo-air mattress. I like to sleep on a good incline with my head up, but then the pad slips down all night. I'm thinking velcro on the inside of the bivvy and back of the pad, but the velcro pack says 'dont use on fabric or fliexible vinyl' so I was worried it was going to cause a problem. Anyone have the killer solution to this? Tried it before?

Chris Alonso
(BigSpooky) - F
a conversation with myself on 06/19/2011 13:44:53 MDT Print View

on a related note, anyone tried this? http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/sleep-systems/insulation/haven/product

Bryce F.
(bster13) - MLife

Locale: Norwalk, CT
cupboard lining on 06/19/2011 13:58:56 MDT Print View

There is this cupboard lining I have used in the winter when layer multiple pads. It's like this stuff:

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodli.asp?DeptNo=9600&ClassNo=9908&CurDept=9600&CurClass=9908&CurSubClass=9974

Not sure of weight, I've I've only used it in winter for base camping. GL!

Brian Lindahl
(lindahlb) - MLife

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Keep pad from slipping with velcro? on 06/20/2011 12:41:10 MDT Print View

A little bit of seam sealer on the bivy and pad would work. Horizontal lines on the pad. Vertical lines on the bivy. Or if you want to keep it lightweight, a few dots on either the bivy or the pad might work. Haven't tried it out, myself, but I plan on doing it soon. Seen it recommended many times on these forums.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Keep pad from slipping with velcro? on 06/20/2011 18:16:20 MDT Print View

This 1 minute video may help you :

video

Franco

Edited by Franco on 06/20/2011 18:17:57 MDT.

William Zila
(Ultralightwillinn.m) - MLife

Locale: Albuquerque
Cord attachment on 06/20/2011 22:18:23 MDT Print View

Something like katabatics bivy pad attachment system some grosgrain and cord would do the trick

Paul McLaughlin
(paul) - MLife
Re: Keep pad from slipping with velcro? on 06/21/2011 22:38:54 MDT Print View

I stuck velcro to my thermarest with Seamgrip - works great. If what you have is the self-adhesive Velcro, I doubt that will stick well enough. But the regular sew-on type, adhered with Seamgrip, should do fine. Cascade Designs actually recommends Seam Grip for repairs. But if your bivy has a silnylon floor, you probably want to use silicone caulk or Silnet to stick the velcro to the bivy, as I doubt the Seam grip will stick to the silnylon.