Forum Index » Chaff » Best Post of 2011

Display Avatars Sort By:
Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Best Post of 2011 on 06/12/2011 22:24:47 MDT Print View

I can't seem to shut myself up tonight.

Here's an idea.

How about we set up some way of democratically determining the best post of 2011 for each of the forums?

I have no idea how to go about doing this, by the way, so this is one of those ideas where someone else would actually have to make it happen.

Brendan L
(mechB) - F

Locale: Washington DC
Friendly expertise on camping. Please READ!! on 06/13/2011 13:56:23 MDT Print View

Not to open up old wounds but...

"Hello, my name is Ahren Grunow and I used to work for REI in their camping department. Please read my bio for the details. I would like to provide anybody with questions with some advice about gear they might have on anything related to camping, travel, whatever. Ive fit over 200 backpacks, know the ins and outs of tents, sleeping bags, and pads, and especially GPS technology. You name it I probably have an answer for you. If you want a no BS approach to camping gear, please feel free to ask. I've been teaching this for over three years now, and I know there are a lot of people out there with questions."

/thread

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Best post of 2011 on 06/13/2011 14:10:41 MDT Print View

In Chaff, I think it's a tie for the Clelland Groovy Post Award of 2011:

(In response to Travis asking what's been going on in the forums while he had been busy being cool)

Oh, boy, where to begin...BPL had a sale but only non members were allowed to pre order; Idester wanted a pony because he had this chair made but it worked better as a saddle; Nick watched the last episode of Oprah and now supports Obamacare; tents are best not packed but worn in a kilt like fashion; the Milkman came back, then left again and everybody is still looking for him, rumor has it he hiked in bear country with the wrong sized staff and only had a steripen to treat his water but it failed him...

Katharina

We also discovered that neither silnylon nor cuben fiber can keep you dry, you can get a perfectly good 10oz shelter for $35, the planet is either warming up or getting cooler (why things can't remain the same ?), Douglas does not want to be serious ever, Alpackas have a pointier nose,( but you know that), no matter what knife you have there is a better one. A bear asked if Mike Clelland "goes" in the woods. But apart from that, nothing happened.

Franco

Honorable mention should go to the masses that pushed the Carbon Flame War thread past 100 pages.

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
Re: Best Post of 2011 on 06/13/2011 14:31:48 MDT Print View

Isn't it a little early to talk about best post of the year, when the year is less than half way done?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Best Post of 2011 on 06/13/2011 14:35:41 MDT Print View

"Isn't it a little early to talk about best post of the year, when the year is less than half way done?"

Picky, picky. I just want to know who's going to emcee the award show......

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Who to emcee on 06/13/2011 14:43:28 MDT Print View

That would be you, Doug. Of course, we really should wait on announcing it until the end of January, like the good man says.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Who to emcee on 06/13/2011 14:48:57 MDT Print View

"Of course, we really should wait on announcing it until the end of January, like the good man says."

I think Daryl meant 2010, but he had just finished trying out his neoprene hoody and shouldn't really have been typing.......

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Re: Best Post of 2011 on 06/13/2011 15:46:13 MDT Print View

I was actually thinking of 2011. I figured it would take 6 months or so to figure out a system of democratically determining the winners.

It would also be good to be thinking about it while the posts are coming in rather than trying to think back to the previous year.

I'm hoping to be the winner in at least 3 of the forums. I've hired Douglas to write for me.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Best Post of 2011 on 06/13/2011 15:48:07 MDT Print View

"I've hired Douglas to write for me."

I've already completely missed your intent! Not a good way to start.....

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Re: Re: Re: Best Post of 2011 on 06/13/2011 17:52:20 MDT Print View

My vote is for Dough to emcee...he can carry a room with ease!

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Best Post of 2011 on 06/13/2011 18:26:32 MDT Print View

Another vote for emcee Doug.

I'm thinking maybe he could start off with a little song and dance like at the beginning of the Tony Awards.

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
Re: Re: Re: Best Post of 2011 on 06/13/2011 21:07:09 MDT Print View

Yeah. We need six months at least considering the eventual thread derailments. Good idea getting the ball rolling now.

. .
(biointegra) - MLife

Locale: Puget Sound
Re: Best Post of 2011 on 06/14/2011 01:08:40 MDT Print View

but now people are going to be contriving a 'best post' and it just won't be the same any more. Best test with 2010 and pretend to cancel for 2011 so people can slowly regain legitimacy. Best Post for 2012.