November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Help Choosing b/w 2 Sleeping Bags
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jeremy Parker
(ParkRat) - F

Locale: Tennessee
Help Choosing b/w 2 Sleeping Bags on 06/10/2011 11:20:34 MDT Print View

I bought a Sea-to-Summit Trek 1 sleeping bag (19 degree) last month and it looks pretty awesome. I am considering exchanging it though for the Marmot Plasma 15 degree bag because the Marmot only weighs 1lb 14oz and the Sea-to-Summit weighs 2lbs 6oz. I am going on a 2 week NOLS lightweight backpacking course in the Rockies by the way. Anyone know about these 2 bags and if the Sea-to-Summit is worth the extra half pound?

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Re: Help Choosing b/w 2 Sleeping Bags on 06/10/2011 14:03:49 MDT Print View

The Sea To Summit bag isn't worth carrying an extra half pound. The Marmot Plasma, while a nice bag, isn't worth the "extra" nearly $100 over a Western Mountaineering Ultralite (which is also 2-3 oz lighter). If you want super duper warm, super legit 15*F bag, even a WM Apache at 2 pounds (same as a Plasma 15, which is 1# 15.96oz) is still about $60 cheaper. Nicer bag, too, IMHO.

Jeremy Parker
(ParkRat) - F

Locale: Tennessee
Re: Re: Help Choosing b/w 2 Sleeping Bags on 06/10/2011 14:34:52 MDT Print View

I figured that the Sea-to-Summit was not worth the extra weight. I've heard really good things about the WM Alpinelite and Ultralite as well. The trip actually only requires a 20 degree bag so I think the Ultralite will be perfect. The weight diff b/w the sea to summit and Ultralite is even bigger than the Marmot, so I will prob do the WM. Thanks for the help.

Any more input from others still appreciated too.

Chris S
(csteutterman) - F

Locale: Tahoe
Re: Re: Re: Help Choosing b/w 2 Sleeping Bags on 06/10/2011 14:41:42 MDT Print View

One other thing I'd check is the size of the WM vs. Marmot. I don't know anything about the specific bags you mentioned, but when I was researching some 30ish degree bags the one downside of one of the WM bags (summerlite) that was mentioned by multiple people was that it was tight and a bit claustrophobic. Might not be an issue with the Ultralite, but worth looking into.