November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Anyone Tried a Silshelter
Display Avatars Sort By:
douglas ray

Locale: Olympic Peninsula
Anyone Tried a Silshelter on 11/23/2006 18:11:37 MST Print View

I noticed that Integral Designs has updated their Silshelter with the addition of a second place for a pole inside. Has anyone tried the updated version? how well does it deal with the sag issues the old one had? I'm thinking about a light winter shelter that's more enclosed than my Cattarp, and the Silshelter is one of the lightest on the market. Anyone have experience to share?

Michael Martin
(MikeMartin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: North Idaho
Re: Anyone Tried a Silshelter on 11/23/2006 18:22:58 MST Print View

I haven't tried the Silshelter, but for about the same weight, check out the Golite Hut 1.

Patrick Miron
Re: Re: Anyone Tried a Silshelter on 11/27/2006 13:36:08 MST Print View

Hi Douglas,

I have the first version of silshelter (without 2 poles cap). I use them in the white mountain each winter since 5 years now with no problem. I use them with a bivy bag and i drive any forecast with this shelter. Sometime when they have a big fall of snow , i use a second pole in the back with a sock on the pole to protect the tiny material and drive the snow on the side of the shelter.
I like my ID silshelter and for the moment i dont want to replace them.

Have a nice day and sorry for my bad english.

Edited by PMIRON on 11/27/2006 13:37:18 MST.

David C. Menges
(davidmenges) - F
Re: Anyone Tried a Silshelter on 12/12/2006 00:21:26 MST Print View

I like mine. It has the second pole cup, which I haven't used.

The BPL crowd probably feels better choices are available now. Seems like articles here a) compare light shelters including this one, and b) shows how many stakes a SilShelter could take to be taut.

Still, I'm happy. I bought it on sale for around $125.