Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Anyone Tried a Silshelter
Display Avatars Sort By:
douglas ray
(Dray)

Locale: Olympic Peninsula
Anyone Tried a Silshelter on 11/23/2006 18:11:37 MST Print View

I noticed that Integral Designs has updated their Silshelter with the addition of a second place for a pole inside. Has anyone tried the updated version? how well does it deal with the sag issues the old one had? I'm thinking about a light winter shelter that's more enclosed than my Cattarp, and the Silshelter is one of the lightest on the market. Anyone have experience to share?

Michael Martin
(MikeMartin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: North Idaho
Re: Anyone Tried a Silshelter on 11/23/2006 18:22:58 MST Print View

I haven't tried the Silshelter, but for about the same weight, check out the Golite Hut 1.

Cheers,

-Mike

Patrick Miron
(PMIRON) - F
Re: Re: Anyone Tried a Silshelter on 11/27/2006 13:36:08 MST Print View

Hi Douglas,

I have the first version of silshelter (without 2 poles cap). I use them in the white mountain each winter since 5 years now with no problem. I use them with a bivy bag and i drive any forecast with this shelter. Sometime when they have a big fall of snow , i use a second pole in the back with a sock on the pole to protect the tiny material and drive the snow on the side of the shelter.
I like my ID silshelter and for the moment i dont want to replace them.

Have a nice day and sorry for my bad english.

Pat

Edited by PMIRON on 11/27/2006 13:37:18 MST.

David C. Menges
(davidmenges) - F
Re: Anyone Tried a Silshelter on 12/12/2006 00:21:26 MST Print View

I like mine. It has the second pole cup, which I haven't used.

The BPL crowd probably feels better choices are available now. Seems like articles here a) compare light shelters including this one, and b) shows how many stakes a SilShelter could take to be taut.

Still, I'm happy. I bought it on sale for around $125.