Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Freeze dried Ham in foil pouches

Display Avatars Sort By:
Richard Gless
(rgless) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Freeze dried Ham in foil pouches on 06/09/2011 23:58:43 MDT Print View

A long time ago you could get freeze dried ham in foil pouches. I've seen it in bulk, but haven't seen it in 2-4 oz packets for a long time.

Does anyone have a source for freeze dried ham in small sizes say 2 or 4 oz foil packets?

Thanks.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Freeze dried Ham in foil pouches on 06/10/2011 08:37:47 MDT Print View

Richard are you talking about freeze-dried or rather the fresh pack, similar to chicken and tuna? Those packs are it seems dead now - but you can get freeze-dried ham in bulk and repack it, go check out something like beprepared.com for that. You can reseal it into vac bags.

Jim Colten
(jcolten)

Locale: MN
Re: Freeze dried Ham in foil pouches on 06/10/2011 13:05:53 MDT Print View

An MYOG option is to look for canned ham (seems like few stores in our area carry this) and dehydrate it.

1. Clean out the gelatin that fills the voids

2. rinse well

3. cut into 3/8 inch cubes

4. weigh and divide the weight by your serving size to determine the number of servings

5. dehydrate

6. weigh again and divide by the number of servings to determine how much to put in each package

7. vacuum bag each serving separately

edit: This works well for meat that has been pressured cooked, which includes meat in a can and meat in a pouch. I learned that from Sarah Kirkconnell and have used the technique successfully with chicken and ham. Tuna and salmon in cans or pouches might work too but I have not (yet) tried it. Dehydrating cooked chicken and ham slices yields something that might be useful for resoling shoes ... not so useful for eating.

Edited by jcolten on 06/10/2011 16:31:20 MDT.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Freeze dried Ham on 06/10/2011 14:11:07 MDT Print View

I strongly suggest you go with Sarah's idea--buy a #10 tin and vacuum-seal individual portions. I tried dehydrating packaged ham dices, and they were very hard to rehydrate.

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: Freeze dried Ham on 06/10/2011 16:18:35 MDT Print View

I dehydrated some spiral (really helical) cut ham slices.
I had no success in hydrating them to something you could chew.
It might work if they were ground up and then dehydrated to increase the surface area and break up the fibers.

Jim Colten
(jcolten)

Re: Re: Freeze dried Ham on 06/10/2011 16:24:37 MDT Print View

Gary reports: I tried dehydrating packaged ham dices, and they were very hard to rehydrate.

Timothy reports: I dehydrated some spiral (really helical) cut ham slices.
I had no success in hydrating them to something you could chew.

So true! I should have emphasized and explained the importance of the word canned in my response. I'll edit my original response to make it clear.

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
SPAM on 06/10/2011 18:51:53 MDT Print View

Ya know they do have the single size spam in foil I think they are 4oz I have carried it b4. And as the commercial said spam is ham! Remember the monty python skit Spam Spam Spam Spam

John Devitt
(cabana) - MLife

Locale: Colorado
RE: Spam on 06/10/2011 19:15:27 MDT Print View

+1 on the SPAM single packs. On hike when resupply is over 5 days, SPAM, pasta and olive oil all mixed up is great to keep the carbs & calorie levels up, Yeah...the sodium levels are high, but I can live it.
Regards,
John

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: RE: Spam on 06/10/2011 20:33:03 MDT Print View

If you do Spam, look for the lower sodium/fat version in the single serving packets. :-)

Richard Gless
(rgless) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Freeze dried Ham in foil pouches on 06/11/2011 13:04:01 MDT Print View

Thanks to everyone for their input. The #10 tin looks attractive pricewise, but since I'll only do 2-3 ham based meals a summer, it's a bit of overkill. I'll try the low sodium spam in the foil pouch.

Again thanks for all the input.

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Im no nutrition expert but.... on 06/11/2011 15:13:32 MDT Print View

But does anybody really want low fat for backpacking and as much as we sweat and drink is the low sodium really an issue unless on a special diet???

Will Webster
(WillWeb) - M
Ham on 06/11/2011 15:17:45 MDT Print View

You might want to look for Country Ham. It's cured for an extra-long time and ends up a lot drier (and saltier) than regular ham. Because of the low moisture and high salt it's actually shelf stable.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Im no nutrition expert but.... on 06/11/2011 18:24:56 MDT Print View

Mark....very few people "need" a diet screaming high in sodium. We get plenty enough (way too often too much) from a Standard US Diet.
Ham is pretty salty no matter what. Eat it in moderation....

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Ham on 06/11/2011 18:25:56 MDT Print View

As for the low-fat in ham, high fat foods don't dry well nor do they keep well. The fat can go rancid quite easily. So that is the reason behind low-fat ham for drying.

Dana Stokes
(LipstickLeatherandLead) - F
Found Ham Pouches! on 01/03/2012 10:01:45 MST Print View

Good news! I found some ham pouches like they package tuna and chicken! On Amazon, look for Sweet Sue Chunk Ham, 7-Ounce Pouches (Pack of 12). It wasn't exactly inexpensive, but it should be WAY better than dehydrated leather, I mean ham. LOL After doing some web surfing for it, it looks like it may be available at Walmart stores, too.

Edited by LipstickLeatherandLead on 01/03/2012 10:14:32 MST.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Found Ham Pouches! on 01/03/2012 10:45:29 MST Print View

Look around, and you can find Spam in a pouch as well.

--B.G.--

Jim Colten
(jcolten)

Re: Found Ham Pouches! on 01/03/2012 11:18:12 MST Print View

Look around, and you can find Spam in a pouch as well.

SPAM ... Minnesota's contribution to the world's stockpile of WMD's ... preferable to starvation but only slightly so.

Our scouts severely test my commitment to the "boy led troop" idea by including SPAM in menu plans. Once they managed to sneak two SPAM meals in one day under my radar ... a very black day indeed.

Several years ago we traveled to Estonia for our son's wedding. Finding uniquely Minnesotan gifts for his wife's family was a challenge. Wild rice was a no brainer. SPAM made the list too, resulting in much hilarity.

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Country ham on 01/03/2012 11:29:32 MST Print View

Love country ham. I can't believe I have never packed it before. How long does it last with no refrigeration?

Eddy Walker
(Ewker) - M

Locale: southeast
Bacon Spam on 01/03/2012 11:56:03 MST Print View

I am just waiting on the bacon flavored spam in the foil packs

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
Bacon Flavored SPAM on 01/03/2012 12:56:36 MST Print View

Ahhhhh, you had me all excited! I'd carry a few of the single-serving packs just for that on the last day...