November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Move to Esbit
Display Avatars Sort By:
Bryce F.
(bster13) - MLife

Locale: Norwalk, CT
Re: Re: Re: ESBIT stove set-up on 06/17/2011 09:16:03 MDT Print View

Looks like Kent C does not list a bag to store new and partially used Esbit tabs (that fit inside his cup) in his list above.....looking for him to clarify. Thx.

Theron Rohr
(theronr) - F

Locale: Los Angeles, California
Re: ESBIT smell on 06/17/2011 22:51:51 MDT Print View

The smell is a mildly unpleasant chemical smell. I don't even notice it unless I hold it close and inhale. It might vary depending on the individual but I think the much discussed esbit smell has been way overblown on forums.

Terri Wright
(ncalcamper) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Bear Canister on 06/18/2011 20:34:05 MDT Print View

Thx for the feedback everyone. Seems like the opsak is a no brainer. One last question, I guess since this stuff is so smelly, you have to store it in a bear canister? I have a 5-day stretch I'm a little worried about fitting everything in my BV solo if I have to include the esbit tabs.

Edited by ncalcamper on 06/18/2011 20:45:14 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Bear Canister on 06/19/2011 00:45:41 MDT Print View

I wouldn't want them in the can with my food. I carry them in doubled small Zip-Lock bags. I can't imagine the smell attracting animals.

Michael Reagan
(MichaelReagan) - F

Locale: Southern California
Caldera rocks! on 06/26/2011 17:38:39 MDT Print View

I don't have much to add to this discussion except to say that I love my Caldera GVP Fosters/Gram Cracker kit. I've used Esbit on and off for years with fair to middling results. But the combination of the Caldera Cone with a properly adjusted Gram Cracker is just dynamite! It easily brings 2 cups of cold creek water to a full rolling boil with plenty of Esbit left over to heat one more cup for instant coffee. I love efficiency and this system delivers in spades! Plus the whole thing fits neatly in its own insulated stuff sack/cozy to take up very little room in the food bag.

Sorry if this is a useless post but I get excited whenever I fit a piece of gear that really delivers for me! :o)

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
hand sanitizer on 06/30/2011 20:44:42 MDT Print View

^ this is my preferred method of lighting as well, doesn't take much either

if you don't carry hand sanitizer, take a knife and scrape some shavings off a corner and then light w/ a match or lighter- much easier than putting a light to a fully intact cube

my experience (w/ the 4dog LT1 stove) is that a cube will boil 16oz (In a SP 600) w/ enough left over to easily do my morning coffee the next day

I tend to use wood more these days, but the Esbit is a nice backup

Kent C.

Locale: High Sierra
Move to Esbit - storage & leftovers on 07/01/2011 16:00:59 MDT Print View

- Bryce: Sorry, I haven't been back to this thread in a while.

I just leave my esbit tabs in their original, sealed packaging before using (stink contained). Forgot to mention the small 3" x 4" zip bag (less than 1/2 gram - scale shows 0 grams) for storing the Ti-wing stove (again, stink contained).

I typically share my stove with a group mate who is also just boiling for FBC-style meal. After boiling the two cupfuls, there is a small amount of the esbit tab left; I let it burn off. The stove is left to cool as I eat. The slight residue is then hard/solid before it gets packed up.