Move to Esbit
Display Avatars Sort By:
Bryce F.
(bster13) - MLife

Locale: Norwalk, CT
Re: Re: Re: ESBIT stove set-up on 06/17/2011 09:16:03 MDT Print View

Looks like Kent C does not list a bag to store new and partially used Esbit tabs (that fit inside his cup) in his list above.....looking for him to clarify. Thx.

Theron Rohr
(theronr) - F

Locale: Los Angeles, California
Re: ESBIT smell on 06/17/2011 22:51:51 MDT Print View

The smell is a mildly unpleasant chemical smell. I don't even notice it unless I hold it close and inhale. It might vary depending on the individual but I think the much discussed esbit smell has been way overblown on forums.

Terri Wright
(ncalcamper) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Bear Canister on 06/18/2011 20:34:05 MDT Print View

Thx for the feedback everyone. Seems like the opsak is a no brainer. One last question, I guess since this stuff is so smelly, you have to store it in a bear canister? I have a 5-day stretch I'm a little worried about fitting everything in my BV solo if I have to include the esbit tabs.

Edited by ncalcamper on 06/18/2011 20:45:14 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Bear Canister on 06/19/2011 00:45:41 MDT Print View

I wouldn't want them in the can with my food. I carry them in doubled small Zip-Lock bags. I can't imagine the smell attracting animals.

Michael Reagan
(MichaelReagan) - F

Locale: Southern California
Caldera rocks! on 06/26/2011 17:38:39 MDT Print View

I don't have much to add to this discussion except to say that I love my Caldera GVP Fosters/Gram Cracker kit. I've used Esbit on and off for years with fair to middling results. But the combination of the Caldera Cone with a properly adjusted Gram Cracker is just dynamite! It easily brings 2 cups of cold creek water to a full rolling boil with plenty of Esbit left over to heat one more cup for instant coffee. I love efficiency and this system delivers in spades! Plus the whole thing fits neatly in its own insulated stuff sack/cozy to take up very little room in the food bag.

Sorry if this is a useless post but I get excited whenever I fit a piece of gear that really delivers for me! :o)

Michael

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
hand sanitizer on 06/30/2011 20:44:42 MDT Print View

^ this is my preferred method of lighting as well, doesn't take much either

if you don't carry hand sanitizer, take a knife and scrape some shavings off a corner and then light w/ a match or lighter- much easier than putting a light to a fully intact cube

my experience (w/ the 4dog LT1 stove) is that a cube will boil 16oz (In a SP 600) w/ enough left over to easily do my morning coffee the next day

I tend to use wood more these days, but the Esbit is a nice backup

Kent C.
(kent) - M

Locale: High Sierra
Move to Esbit - storage & leftovers on 07/01/2011 16:00:59 MDT Print View

- Bryce: Sorry, I haven't been back to this thread in a while.

I just leave my esbit tabs in their original, sealed packaging before using (stink contained). Forgot to mention the small 3" x 4" zip bag (less than 1/2 gram - scale shows 0 grams) for storing the Ti-wing stove (again, stink contained).

I typically share my stove with a group mate who is also just boiling for FBC-style meal. After boiling the two cupfuls, there is a small amount of the esbit tab left; I let it burn off. The stove is left to cool as I eat. The slight residue is then hard/solid before it gets packed up.