Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Drink mixes for hot weather

Display Avatars Sort By:
Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
Camelbak Elixir on 06/15/2011 05:47:23 MDT Print View

I drink a lot while hiking normally, and even more in hot weather. Two weekends ago while hiking a chunk of the Mid State Trail in PA I was drinking around eight liters a day.

I really like the Camelbak Elixir in my hydration bladder but beware: The orange elixir has caffeine in it! That may be good for those of you who want a little extra kick. I've tried the berry flavored as well, but my favorite (and the only one left in my inventory) is the lemon-lime.

Marc Kokosky
(mak52580) - F - M

Locale: Washington, DC Area
Hawaiian Punch on 08/30/2011 07:31:24 MDT Print View

I can't believe no one has mentioned Hawaiian Punch! I get the one serving packs at my local Walmart... 10 for $1 and sugar free. They are awesome and definitely take me back to childhood.

I also like the Nuun if I want an eletrolyte replacement.

For iced coffee... Starbucks makes an instant iced coffee pack that is already pre-sweetened that is pretty good too.

Sumi Wada
(DetroitTigerFan) - F

Locale: Ann Arbor
Favorites on 08/30/2011 10:40:26 MDT Print View

Arnold Palmer (ice tea + lemonade)
Ocean Spray powdered drinks
Tang

I prefer plain old water when I'm actually hiking. The flavored stuff doesn't do much for quenching thirst for me. I like a little Tang or OS juice for breakfast and an Arnold when I get to camp.

Edited by DetroitTigerFan on 08/30/2011 11:22:12 MDT.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Camelbak Elixir on 08/30/2011 11:14:01 MDT Print View

I'm with you, the green Elixir is just about right. I also like emergencyC. Can't adequately describe how disappointed I was when I tried NUUN. Nasty stuff. YMMV.

p.s. I only mix this sort of thing in bottles--too hard to get completely out of reservoirs and hoses.

Cheers,

Rick

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Re: Re: Camelbak Elixir on 08/30/2011 11:20:14 MDT Print View

@Rick,

IIRC the Elixir is designed to come out of hydration bladders relatively easily since there's no sugar.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Camelbak Elixir on 08/30/2011 11:52:57 MDT Print View

I think that's right, and it's surely not going to launch bacteria battalions. I'm just a fussbudget when it comes to this sort of thing, and can usually taste teensy amounts of flavoring left in plastic containers.

It's not as though Camelbak didn't think about this when designing the stuff.

Cheers,

Rick