Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Drink mixes for hot weather

Display Avatars Sort By:
HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Earth (mostly)
Drink mixes for hot weather on 06/09/2011 10:13:51 MDT Print View

While water is great, wondering if there are any powdered drink mixes out there for hot weather for a change in flavor? Plusses if they are sugar-free.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Drink mixes for hot weather on 06/09/2011 10:17:58 MDT Print View

I like the Crystal Light mixes. Lots of flavors, sugar free.

John Devitt
(cabana) - MLife

Locale: Colorado
RE on 06/09/2011 11:32:35 MDT Print View

+1 with Gary, however I enjoy the starbucks via carmel coffee during the cool summer mornings in the mountains.
regards,
John

Chris S
(csteutterman) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Drink mixes for hot weather on 06/09/2011 11:43:39 MDT Print View

I like the Propel Fitness Water packets diluted to half strenght. Not sure what's in them though.

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
drinks in the heat on 06/09/2011 12:24:36 MDT Print View

I sometimes make sun tea (using jasmine or fruit teas) or add powdered strawberries made from freeze-dried fruit to lemonade. Most often I just drink water.

I also found a cold brew ice tea product that works well... http://www.wildernesscooking.com/blog/?p=137

Edited by Laurie_Ann on 06/09/2011 12:26:02 MDT.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Drink mixes for hot weather on 06/09/2011 20:44:59 MDT Print View

http://www.kraftbrands.com/crystallight/Pages/default.aspx#/pure-flavors
Wal-Mart also makes a version of it, nearly identical.

They use natural dayes and are flavored with sugar and Stevia so are light but not artificial tasting.

Paul McLaughlin
(paul) - MLife
Re: Drink mixes for hot weather on 06/13/2011 19:39:10 MDT Print View

I use rehydration mixes, like Electro-mix and Ola Loa Sport. Vitamins, minerals, a little bit of flavor, no sugar.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Drink mixes for hot weather on 06/13/2011 19:42:22 MDT Print View

Nuun tablets are very good!

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
What's wrong with a little sugar? on 06/13/2011 20:02:35 MDT Print View

I don't like to miss any opportunity to get some calories into my system, so I use an energy drink called EFS. It supplies the full spectrum of electrolytes in significant quantities plus a mixture of simple and complex carbs along with a small amount of protein. A few grams of glucose/maltodextrin when I'm exercising hard is not going to make a diabetic out of me is my philosophy

Robert Cowman
(rcowman) - F - M

Locale: Canadian Rockies
Re: What's wrong with a little sugar? on 06/13/2011 20:05:48 MDT Print View

NUUN

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Re: What's wrong with a little sugar? on 06/13/2011 20:51:15 MDT Print View

I am a diabetic and I actually need to have the extra glucose when exercising or my blood glucose drops dangerously low. It isn't unusual for me to have to pop quite a few jelly beans while hiking... I'd be interested in the EFS. Going to go look it up.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: What's wrong with a little sugar? on 06/13/2011 21:07:40 MDT Print View

Usually it is more a 'saving of weight' thing why people go for sugar free. It also doesn't get as funky in bladders as sugar mixes do in heat.....

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Drink mixes for hot weather on 06/13/2011 21:45:25 MDT Print View

Been away from the US for awhile, so I'd forgotten about Propel, CrystalLight, Camelback electrolytes, NUUN, etc... and I'm guessing a number of supermarkets tuck them away so everyone goes for the bottled beverages. Tried doing sun tea in a Nalgene once but the tea bag disintegrated by lunch, so I had to strain the tea leaves.

While not opposed to a little sugar, it can really gum up a hydration bladder, so I eat it it in the form of candy.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Drink mixes for hot weather" on 06/13/2011 22:01:06 MDT Print View

Of the expensive variety, like others listed:

NUUUUUUUN

Camelback Elixir tablets can be had for less than Nuun if you look around, good product.

Hammer Nutrition makes a product called Endurolytes Fizz, it's their electrolyte tablet similar to the above products.... excellent supplement. I've used them in the past for 100F runs after work, help ward off cramps, excessive salt loss, all that stuff associated with being active in the desert during April-Oct. Highly recommended.

However, the liquid gold of trail drinks for adding spice to your Aquamira tainted water is Kool-Aid Tropical Punch in the single serve powder packs (makes 2quarts... really sweet... or 1L just right), those are cheap cheap and there is a Sugar-Free version. Just watch your clothing, this stuff stains everything. Those can be acquired anywhere.

. .
(biointegra) - MLife

Locale: Puget Sound
Re: Drink mixes for hot weather on 06/14/2011 01:04:00 MDT Print View

My favorite are the Trace Minerals Research Electrolyte Stamina drink mixes:

stamina

Like Emergen-C, but better ingredientes, imho (+stevia / no maltodextrin)

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Drink mixes for hot weather on 06/14/2011 07:51:50 MDT Print View

I like Tang.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: What's wrong with a little sugar? on 06/14/2011 17:29:44 MDT Print View

"Going to go look it up."

Hi Laurie,

Look for it under a company named First Endurance.

Tom

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

looking it up on 06/14/2011 20:21:15 MDT Print View

Thanks Tom... much appreciated.

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Re: Tang incident on 06/14/2011 20:51:36 MDT Print View

Brought a bottle of Tang on a winter trip long time ago (1984 - yikes), packed in an external pack pocket. Forgot to secure it and it went splat all over the ice. So my buddies passed this Tang explosion on ice, all shaking their heads. Haven't bought Tang since.

Edited by hknewman on 06/14/2011 20:56:40 MDT.

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Camelbak Elixir on 06/14/2011 21:02:19 MDT Print View

Eugene,

Camelbak Elixir was what I was looking for. Sugar-free, has a kind of fizz to it, ... that's what I used to mtb with. Water in one hydration bladder, Elixir in the other. Thanks for jogging the memory banks, though some of these other brands will see use as well.