8 Days of Wrath on the Cape Wrath Trail
Display Avatars Sort By:
Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: Trees on 06/27/2011 04:08:26 MDT Print View

Stuart,
I was wondering if over harvesting was a factor.
Thanks,
Tom

Stuart R
(Scunnered) - F

Locale: Scotland
Re: Re: Trees on 06/27/2011 06:52:01 MDT Print View

As I mentiond, over harvesting was probably a factor a few hundred years ago. Since then there has been little attempt at replanting until recent times. After WWII dense patches of Sitka Spruce mono-cultures were planted specifically for timber production and only very recently has replanting of native species been attempted. Both require saplings to be fenced off to prevent deer from browsing.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Trip on 06/27/2011 09:07:10 MDT Print View

Matt, thanks for posting your trip report. Nice to see and hear about some places that are not the usual common destinations. Sorry you had such inclement weather....but it makes for a good story and some real gear testing. Nice pictures too.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Trees on 06/27/2011 22:58:23 MDT Print View

Hamish Brown's book Hamish's Mountain Walk mentions replanting several times. I don't recall him writing at length about the practice but I got the distinct impression that he didn't much care for the it.

Edit: Very nice trip Report! .... and not just because you are from my neck of the woods:-) I was with a group backpacking the SHT from Silver Bay to Finland in late May and we thought we had challenging weather (well, there WAS a tornado in the area). But I think your experience will help us reset our definition of "challenging".

Edited by jcolten on 06/27/2011 23:05:30 MDT.

Amy Lauterbach
(drongobird) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
8 Days of Wrath on the Cape Wrath Trail on 02/09/2013 16:01:09 MST Print View

Matt - We're planning our own hike in Scotland and have reread your trip report. You did a terrific job of giving us a sense of what we might encounter. Please know that your trip report continues to be useful! Thanks, Amy and Jim

Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
re: CWT on 02/12/2013 04:16:05 MST Print View

This was an awesome trip report on a destination I'd love to visit. I don't know how I missed it the first time. Bailing must have been a painful decision, though clearly the right one at the time.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: re: CWT on 02/12/2013 05:55:41 MST Print View

Ike,

We should have a Bpl meet in Scotand.

Cheers,

Stephen