PrimaLoft®Footwear - What can we do with this?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Locale: Southern Texas
PrimaLoft®Footwear - What can we do with this? on 11/22/2006 21:13:06 MST Print View

PrimaLoft®Footwear

[I have a few plans for this.]

PrimaLoft® Footwear is engineered to keep feet comfortable in all conditions. It features ultra-fine fibers that provide warmth (even when wet!) and are lightweight and breathable. PrimaLoft is also extremely water resistant, fast drying, and provides soft, yet durable comfort.

Application: - insulated footwear products

Key benefits: - superior warmth, wet or dry
- superior water resistance
- excellent compressional recovery
- excellent durability & comfort
- fast drying & breathable

Physical properties:

WEIGHT
OZ/SQ YD

WEIGHT
GR/SQM

ROLL LENGTH
YARDS

ROLL LENGTH
METERS
]50

THICKNESS
IN

THICKNESS
CM

WARMTH*
R-Value
(h.F.ft2/Btu)

WARMTH*
R-Value
(m2.C/W)

STANDARD WIDTH
IN

STANDARD WIDTH
CM

David Wills
(willspower3) - F
Re: PrimaLoft®Footwear - What can we do with this? on 11/24/2006 23:09:57 MST Print View

Aside from very cold weather hiking socks (semi-obvious), My first thought for it is to make insulated clothing for really cold weather doing aerobic activity. The low bulk would make moving easier, while the water resistance would be good if you got sweaty. It would have to be really cold to justify 6oz insulation though. A 4.5mm silk lined insulated shirt would feel great on a sub freezing jaunt.

Depending on the clo/oz of it, maybe a SUS oriented quilt (too tired to try and convert R value to clo/oz, stupid thanksgiving sales at work = 12 hour shift). It would need to be pretty warmth-to-weight efficient IMO to be practical for anything besides footwear though.

I'm very curious to see what you have in store for us next, Bill.

Gene .
(Tracker)

Locale: New England
Re: PrimaLoft®Footwear - What can we do with this? on 01/09/2007 13:05:33 MST Print View

Bill, My ID 'Hot Socs' made from Primaloft don't seem that warm sitting at the computer in a 60'f room. The specs elude me right now, but are on ID's webpage. They weigh 4ozs for the pair; and with double the insulation that's currently in them I might find them warm enough to carry in my pack.

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Primaloft Footwear - ... on 01/09/2007 13:51:12 MST Print View

Gene,

The "ID" Hot Sock is made with PrimaLoft Sport. From ID's web site:
"The 4oz Primaloft Sport insulation and Pertex P685 shell fabric ensure a system that is soft, comfortable and water repellent, with 1/2" (1 cm) loft around the foot. The back panel of Powerstretch fleece makes the Hot Socks easy to slide on and keeps them snug around the feet and ankles. The footpad is reinforced with abrasion resistant 500 denier cordura, which is suitable for use inside huts and tents, but is still soft enough for use as a sleeping sock."

With a 1/2" loft around the ........, They say they are using the 4 ounce per sq yard PrimaLoft Sport insulation. Doing a little math with the Clo for this product I came up with 2.96 which is (more or less) same as down loft. That amount of Down should be good to below freezing I think. If they warm your feet quick your feet might sweat a little and make the feel cooler.

The PrimaLoft Footwear stuff in the thread is rated by "R" value and goes from 0.20" (R=0.27) to 0.30" (R=0.41) to 0.47" (R=0.64). I haven't used any of it yet so I don't know how warm etc it might be. It is made for insulated footwear.

I am going to make a pair of insulated booties out of three different insulations and the "Footwear" stuff I have to compare them to each other. I am working on two packs at this time so I am not sure when I will get the booties made.

Gene .
(Tracker)

Re: Primaloft Footwear - ... on 01/09/2007 14:19:20 MST Print View

Bill, Thanks for looking at this Primaloft question for me. I was going to try and compare the Hot Socs to down booties, but have yet to order a pair.

Sounds like you're going full tilt down there in the workshop! When do you expect to head out? is there time for me to put a package in the mail to you?

Regards, Gene

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Primaloft Footwear - ... on 01/09/2007 14:48:26 MST Print View

Gene,

My best guess right now is to start on Monday, January 22. I don't want to start on a weekend and I am still working on a short list of things I want to finish. The driving time is only about 19 hours so I can get up there in one day (24 hours).

Gene .
(Tracker)

Re: Primaloft Footwear - ... on 01/12/2007 13:54:06 MST Print View

Bill, Are you going to use any of that White foam i sent down in the bottoms for insoles of your booties?