Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
How many 100 year floods does it take.........
Display Avatars Sort By:
bj bretzke
(lilorphanbilly) - F

Locale: Montana, MT (Stealth Mode)
How many 100 year floods does it take......... on 06/07/2011 19:21:36 MDT Print View

I was just curious. If you have a 100 year event two years in a row, is it still a 100 year event? I hike in a little place called Beaver Creek Park in the Bears Paw Mountains of North Central Montana. It is the largest county park in the nation to the best of my knowledge. It averages 1 mile wide and is 15 miles long. The western and southern edges of the park are bordered by the Rocky Boy Indian Reservation.(ironically the smallest reservation in MT) But I digress.
Fema was in town again this week. We still haven't gotten the funds from last year. Maybe having the President declare you a disaster area is like winning the Presidential Fitness Award. You feel better for a while. (I'm really not blaming the pres. He could go on a U.S. disaster tour right now)
This was last weekend
last week
All the creeks you see are actually roads. If you look close you can see an 8 ft culvert running full in the middle top of the horseshoe.
Two days later.......
two days later
Even the dog was seeking higher ground...
Turbo
I can't imagine what it's like for the folks downstream.
BJ

Edited by lilorphanbilly on 06/07/2011 19:48:56 MDT.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
How many 100 year floods does it take......... on 06/08/2011 20:39:56 MDT Print View

in Dec 2010 Queensland had some really bad floods..
The total submerged area was larger than Germany and France combined.
Now that is a one in 100 years flood.. (hopefully)
A couple of pics :
Flood 1
Flood 2

Franco