Forum Index » Philosophy & Technique » Poo Trowels

Display Avatars Sort By:
Casey Balza
(equals) - F
Poo Trowels on 06/06/2011 18:20:22 MDT Print View

I was wondering does anyone carry poo trowels? I have a 1 oz snow tent stake for a trowel. I was wondering if I should ditch it to save 1 oz of weight? Help me out Ultra lighters! I want to join the gang.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Poo Trowels on 06/06/2011 18:27:57 MDT Print View

I also have a one-ounce aluminum SMC snow stake that works good. It kind of depends on what kind of surface you dig in, assuming that the stake gets used on the shelter.

If you are in loose sand, then all you need is a boot heel. If you are in hard-packed soil, you probably need a metal implement of some sort.

--B.G.--

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Poo Trowels on 06/06/2011 18:31:14 MDT Print View

If you're most often hiking where there are plenty of rocks, just turn over a rock that's partially embedded in the ground. Instant cathole. Thanks to Eric for 'learning me that' on the Teton Crest hike last year!

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Re: Poo Trowels on 06/06/2011 18:44:36 MDT Print View

I have a Montbell trowel that weighs a couple of ounces....I really don't notice any weight savings by not taking it.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Poo Trowels on 06/06/2011 18:50:54 MDT Print View

Ken, A tent stake works great as a Poo Trowel--Especially the MSR Ground Hog. Multi-use!

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Poo Trowels" on 06/06/2011 19:02:00 MDT Print View

"...just turn over a rock that's partially embedded in the ground. Instant cathole."

Yes, my favorite technique, then roll the rock back into position... or borrow from the guy in your group who actually packs a trowel- someone has to be the moocher.

@ Casey,

I've never really "needed" a poo trowel, taking a few extra seconds to find a stick or rock to dig a small cathole is practical enough, even in hard soil. Personally, the poo trowel is somewhat of an unnecessary item, more of a convenience, one that I don't feel the need to bring. Weight savings isn't the issue behind my decision to leave a trowel behind, rather the elimination of extraneous items from my pack, the simplification of the process, so let your style and preference of gear on the trail be the deciding factor, not the arbitrary 1oz. weight savings according to some silly UL dogma. If a poo trowel somehow enhances or maximizes your experience, then by all means, pack it!

Matthew Black
(mtblack)
Re: Poo Trowels on 06/06/2011 19:14:09 MDT Print View

The stake idea was new to me as one of Mike Clelland's tips. Since I already carry a couple Groundhogs it saves me a few ounces and I feel really silly for not thinking of it.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Re: Poo Trowels on 06/06/2011 19:32:20 MDT Print View

But Jay...then I have poo on my tent stake...the smell would keep me awake at night!

Matthew Black
(mtblack)
Re: Re: Re: Poo Trowels on 06/06/2011 19:35:41 MDT Print View

Might want to stir it less...

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Poo Trowels on 06/06/2011 19:37:41 MDT Print View

I also carry a SMC snow stake, with a small loop of BPL cord on it. I use it as a trowel first, and as an extra stake if a tent stake is lost, bent, etc. That is, it's ready if needed and not already used as a tent stake.

However, I sometimes don't take it, as the PNW soil is pretty easy to dig into with a stick and has lots o' rocks.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Poo Trowels on 06/06/2011 20:12:12 MDT Print View

NIX!!!

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Poo Trowels on 06/06/2011 20:18:40 MDT Print View

I also have the Montbell trowel. 1.4 ounces.

There's no way a MSR Groundhog can even compare. With the size of the catholes I have to dig, I need something with more surface area to get the dirt out of the hole. It's well worth its weight for me.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Poo Trowels on 06/06/2011 20:20:35 MDT Print View

"If you're most often hiking where there are plenty of rocks, just turn over a rock that's partially embedded in the ground. Instant cathole."

A technique tried and true. The ultimate in lightitude. I've never used any other method in the Sierra. I'm surprised it's not in Don C.'s book. Or is it?

The Cascades can be another matter, however. Lots of fibrous roots from heather, cedar, etc can make it a real hassle. Mostly we use our ice axes if we have 'em along. Barring that you can usually find a log to roll over, or even a stray rock. Worst case find a solid downed branch to use as a digging stick. I have never in my life found a need for a trowel.

Casey Balza
(equals) - F
desert on 06/06/2011 20:24:57 MDT Print View

What about in the desert, would you need a trowel then? Isn't the ground in the desert really hard?

Ken K
(TheFatBoy) - F

Locale: St. Louis
Re: Re: Poo Trowels on 06/07/2011 15:27:11 MDT Print View

"...just turn over a rock that's partially embedded in the ground. Instant cathole"

Just be gentle putting the rock back... Don't drop it!

I use a tent stake or boot heel, but I'm going to have to try the "rock & roll duece" the next time nature calls.

Ken Bennett
(ken_bennett) - F

Locale: southeastern usa
Re: Poo Trowels on 06/07/2011 20:29:32 MDT Print View

+1 on using the snow stake as a trowel and backup/additional tent stake. Around here there's not much chance of getting anywhere trying to dig with a stick or a boot heel. The snow stake works just as well as any trowel I've used, and I use it when I need to guy out my Moment in heavy wind.

Marc Shea
(FlytePacker) - F

Locale: Cascades
Re: Poo Trowels on 06/07/2011 21:27:40 MDT Print View

One could always biffy in a jiffy. No need to dig a hole.

http://biffybag.com/how-it-works.htm

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Poo Trowels on 06/07/2011 22:12:21 MDT Print View

Mont Bell Ti Handy Scoop.

1) I got it cheap
2) Trail bling--- I mean, geeze, a titanium pooper scooper!

I'm thinking about a Kabota. I could level campsites, move blow-downs, and ride it!
Kabota potty trowel

Edited by dwambaugh on 06/07/2011 22:14:42 MDT.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Re: Poo Trowels on 06/07/2011 22:52:40 MDT Print View

You do realize that the Montbell trowel is less than 2/10th of an ounce heavier than a SMC snowstake and has no holes, so you can really dig with it. Can use as a stake also. Cut the webbing off for instant weight savings!

Edited by kthompson on 06/07/2011 22:54:07 MDT.

Andrew Lush
(lushy) - MLife

Locale: Lake Mungo, Mutawintji NPs
Re: Poo Trowels on 06/07/2011 23:28:52 MDT Print View

Gday Dale,

Remember this: French whipping my potty trowel ?

I do, after all these years!

Edited by lushy on 06/07/2011 23:31:34 MDT.