Forum Index » Gear Swap » Backpacking Light Used Gear Sale

Display Avatars Sort By:
Doug Reeves
(strawman) - F

Locale: God's Country
Re: Re: Backpacking Light Used Gear Sale on 06/07/2011 09:18:58 MDT Print View

You could make the sale available to all..."first come, first served" but require a membership for actual purchase. So, a non-member could still have "dibs" on an item, but in order to complete the transaction they'd have to purchase a membership along with the item. That would be a win-win. Non-members get a chance to buy, BPL gains membership.

Edited by strawman on 06/07/2011 09:48:46 MDT.

Mike Young
(klackamas) - F - MLife

Locale: ingreentrees@yahoo.com
Re: Agreed on 06/07/2011 09:24:09 MDT Print View

Since I'm mostly a lurker on this site, I don't really feel I have a right to speak up. But in my opinion, the discounts should go to those people who use the site most often. You may miss a sale because you are not active on the site. Just because you pay for a membership does not mean that the admins should hunt you down and let you know you might miss something coming up. If you are a member, be an active member and you shall reap the rewards.

I've been thinking about buying a membership. I'm sure the benefits will far outweigh the cost, but I'm hoping to be a part of something positive. Members and life members would be better off thinking about how to help those just starting out, instead of complaining about the benefits they have not received.

OK, back to lurking...

Shane Fleenor
(SFUVA21) - MLife

Locale: New York
Lets Not Get Carried Away on 06/07/2011 09:29:32 MDT Print View

Lets not get too crazy here. I don't think any members are (or at least should be) upset that the items were offered to the staffers first. At the wine shop on my corner, the staffers pick through the 'clearance' bottles the instant they hit the shelves. This is completely normal - its these little perks that make our jobs not completely suck. I think objecting to that is like objecting to not being invited to REI's employee Christmas party just because you joined the co-op.

Plus, the staffers are the reason this thing exists. I have no objection whatever to them having first dibs to BUY the product. Hell, they could have just kept it all for free, and we would have never known.

But, I think the point about the dues are what acquires the gear that is ultimately sold to the community is a salient one. To the extent that our dues bought the gear, we should have first dibs buying it back. Moreover, even if the gear was donated (as I understand is often the case), our dues keep the organization running, so that the testing exists, so that gear companies are donating products that they hope will get written about. So even in the case of donated gear, I think the argument applies equally...it couldn't happen without our dues, and we should have the first shot at being the 'lucky ones' to pick up the closeout items.

This is a very good point that hopefully the BPL staff (who most of us agree do a wonderful job) will bear in mind going forward.

But I don't think its productive to focus on the offer to the staffers. Just as we are arguing that there is a difference between members and non-members, and this difference warrants different treatment, I think too that there is a difference, a real, meaningful difference, between somebody who works here and somebody who made a one-time $100 payment...and that difference likewise warrants different treatment.

My two cents.

David Drake
(DavidDrake) - F - M

Locale: North Idaho
Re: Backpacking Light Used Gear Sale on 06/07/2011 09:30:04 MDT Print View

FWIW, I think BPL articles alone are worth the cost of my yearly membership. But I was surprised life members weren't given first crack at the sale--sure wouldn't have bothered me if they had been, and might have been an incentive for me to upgrade in the future.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Agreed on 06/07/2011 09:35:38 MDT Print View

I really wasn't that interested in getting into a back and forth on this, but the ignorance compels me to do so.... sigh.....

"Since I'm mostly a lurker on this site, I don't really feel I have a right to speak up."

Everyone has a right to speak up, and is encouraged to do so.

"Just because you pay for a membership does not mean that the admins should hunt you down and let you know you might miss something coming up."

No hunting down needed. We have our own forum.

"If you are a member, be an active member and you shall reap the rewards."

I don't know of a paying member who isn't an active member.

"Members and life members would be better off thinking about how to help those just starting out, instead of complaining about the benefits they have not received."

There is a difference between complaining and making a valid point. Thom made a valid point. But let's remember that it's the members and life members, for one, who make this site a continuing possibility, not non-paying lurkers who contribute little but are happy to take much; and two, members and life members are some of the most generous people with their time and advice to new members on this site. If you were truly reading the posts, you'd know that.

But what the heck, being a non-paying, lurking fanboy is much easier.

"but I'm hoping to be a part of something positive."

Then you might want to stay away from Chaff....

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
Preference for Life Members on 06/07/2011 09:36:18 MDT Print View

As a life member I didn't expect a preference and I'm not upset that we didn't receive one. True first-come, first-served is one way to do it, a preference period for BPL lifers is another. Either is fair, so long as the rules were announced up front and adhered to - which they were.

Thomas Gauperaa
(gauperaa) - F - M

Locale: Norway
Re: Preference for Life Members on 06/07/2011 09:41:41 MDT Print View

+1

Kurt Lammers
(lammers8) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
MLife sales invitations on 06/07/2011 09:41:43 MDT Print View

As someone who has been an annual member for several years now, I'd like to know from the MLifers about the frequency in which you receive an "Invitation to BackpackingLight.com's periodic "friends and employees" sales;" given that at least a few of you are pretty chapped not to have received first dibs on this sale, how often do those 'friends and employee' sales happen? That was certainly one of the perks that has annually tempted me into upgrading to a lifetime membership...

nanook ofthenorth
(nanookofthenorth) - MLife
MLife sales invitation on 06/07/2011 09:48:51 MDT Print View

I've never received one.
From the last 6months or so - I dont think MLife is any different then Membership. There is almost zero activity in the MLife forum.

At this point to me, it seems to make sense only as a multi-year membership.
As a MLife I haven't yet received or seen any special perks, access, or treatment of any kind. I see what people are saying - I think though that BPL would need to change the terms of their 1year Membership (and let all current memberships change over), the current 1year agreement expressly grants first access to Sales, ect.

I have to say that from what I've seen of MLife, I'm not seeing anything new from basic membership.
At this point I would say save your money and just get an annual membership.

Edited by nanookofthenorth on 06/07/2011 10:23:19 MDT.

Richard Rini
(rarini) - MLife

Locale: Southeast
Re: MLife sales invitations on 06/07/2011 09:49:54 MDT Print View

i believe they occur about once or twice a year. and I'm not one of those on the "chapped" list!

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: MLife sales invitations on 06/07/2011 09:53:54 MDT Print View

"given that at least a few of you are pretty chapped not to have received first dibs on this sale"

It seems that folks are misinterpreting the posts - probably mostly mine since I've made the most on this subject so far. Don't worry, this will be my last on this subject (collective sigh of relief).

I'm not chapped at all at not getting first dibs. I had no interest in the sale - I was busy watching the Apple press conference and didn't pay attention to the sale at all, even though I knew it was going on. Won't be paying attention to this afternoon's sale either. So that's not the point at all.

Sam made an off the cuff remark. No big deal. Thom made a valid point on how that remark could be perceived. Sam got defensive (sorry, but that's pretty apparent by his responses). Back and forth comments ensued, almost like a chaff forum thread, with each side digging in.

What has transpired since then has very little to do with the actual sale and how it was conducted, IMO. It has, instead, everything to do with perception. And sometimes - I said sometimes - BPL is not very good at customer/member communications.

Edited by idester on 06/07/2011 09:59:53 MDT.

Kurt Lammers
(lammers8) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Chapped on 06/07/2011 09:55:30 MDT Print View

Let me be clear that I'm a happy BPL member, I've just always been curious about the MLife/employee sales. If I have any 'frustration' at all, it's that I wouldn't have even known about this sale if I hadn't seen a twitter post this morning - clearly I missed a whole day of gear goodness. It pays to check in daily!

Edited by lammers8 on 06/07/2011 09:56:54 MDT.

Edward Zwibel
(YetiEddie) - MLife

Locale: Sunny San Diego
Clarification on 06/07/2011 09:56:58 MDT Print View

Let me be clear that I have no objection to the sale currently or the way it was administered. Just the comments about pre sale to some, first grabs to others, and the weight of members who pay dues comments over others. Not elitist. Just questions on "membership" and what being a member of something entails. I have received immeasurably more value from this forum then what I paid with a $100 membership and Sam, no offense was intended. Just to point out that a stance or a membership sale or an increased sense of membership and some things may enhance membership and a backing of members weight would also instill confidence. That is often up to members to request, and I think this was a good place to see it. It is our fault that the mlife thread is not very active.... and yes, that sale was as advertised and run above board. It's just the response to some that got me thinking. Cheers to all and good will!

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
re: Gear on 06/07/2011 10:20:33 MDT Print View

I want a pony.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: re: Gear on 06/07/2011 10:24:11 MDT Print View

"I want a pony."

Edward Zwibel
(YetiEddie) - MLife

Locale: Sunny San Diego
+1 on 06/07/2011 10:33:26 MDT Print View

I'd like a unicorn

Jim MacDiarmid
(jrmacd) - MLife
Re: +1 on 06/07/2011 10:38:08 MDT Print View

"Mlifers Unite:)"

My head was spinning from reading through this thread so when I got to the comment above, my eyes went a little dyslexic and I saw a much different word before 'Unite.'

Edited by jrmacd on 06/07/2011 10:40:01 MDT.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: +1 on 06/07/2011 10:39:49 MDT Print View

Same here. First come, first served for mlifers...much more interesting when my mind flips a couple letters.

Michael Crosby
(djjmikie) - MLife

Locale: Ky
++++1 on 06/07/2011 10:42:30 MDT Print View

My mind did the same thing.
(what ever is wrong with us, I like it)

PS. Doug has made some good observations

Edited by djjmikie on 06/07/2011 10:45:40 MDT.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Backpacking Light Used Gear Sale on 06/07/2011 10:45:07 MDT Print View

Buyer backed out of contract so the following is still available. Price reduced.

#34 Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo E (2006)
$125.00, tent, used