Colorado Trail food drops
Display Avatars Sort By:
Allen Butts
(butts0989) - F - MLife

Locale: Northern Rockies
Colorado Trail food drops on 06/04/2011 19:46:43 MDT Print View

I'm sorry if this should have gone under a different category but I couldn't find a better one. My question is about my food situation for my colorado trail thru-hike this july. Is it possible or easy to buy food in towns as you go or is it wiser to just ship your food ahead to yourself? Previous CT thru-hikers advice is much appreciated.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Re: Colorado Trail food drops on 06/04/2011 20:17:29 MDT Print View

It all depends on where you plan to stop. See PMags' End to End Guide to the CT at http://www.pmags.com

At the end of segment 6, you can take the free bus right into Breckenridge. Re-supply locally at the grocery store and/or the outfitter.

At the end of segment 8, you can hitch into Leadville and do the same, or you can go on to Twin Lakes, where you're better off sending a re-supply box to the general store. You also go right by Princeton Hot Springs Resort near the end of segment 13, where you could send a box.

At the end of segment 14, Salida is reportedly one of the best town stops on the whole CDT/CT - full resupply possible locally.

Salida to Silverton is more complex. One option is to exit to Creede at San Luis Pass or to Lake City at Spring Creek Pass.

At Molas Pass, you can hitch into Silverton, which has an outfitter and grocery stores.

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
What Bob said. :) on 06/04/2011 20:50:01 MDT Print View

Bob pretty much nailed it.

Resupply is not that hard overall. No worse than the PCT. For an AT veteran with the plethora of options they have available on this trail, it may not be as easy..but it ain't that hard.

The hardest stretch is indeed Salida to Silverton. If you read my doc, you'll see the options. I think it is somewhat easier to get in and out of Creede vs Lake City.

There is a trail angel named "Apple" who has been holding parcels BUT, (as I've said before), trail angels do this out of the kindness of their hearts. If an emergency happens, they are delayed or just don't want to do it anymore, your package may not arrive.

Naturally, your pace and MPD will dictate where and how often you need to resupply as well.

Edited by PaulMags on 06/04/2011 20:50:42 MDT.

Susan Papuga
(veganaloha) - M

Locale: USA
Colorado Trail food drops" on 06/05/2011 04:03:54 MDT Print View

Paul, Bob,

I appreciate your comments here and on other posts for the CT. I am considering doing this instead of the Sierras given the snow situation. My understanding is that the CT should be clear about the first week of July. if so, is this an "easier" hike to arrange and do than the JMT given the ealier snow melt, lack of engorged stream crossings, no bear cannisters, no permits etc?

Also, paul, thanks i did look at your guide. i was also wondering if ther were some nice day hikes around Denver in case i arrive there last week June/first week July and the CT is still not clear. I figure i could do some day hikes or shorter overnights that would also help me acclimate to the altitude given that I live at sea-level.

mahalo!

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
logistics on 06/05/2011 18:55:43 MDT Print View

The CT is logistically easier than the JMT from what I can tell: Travel wise, permit wise and less restrictions. Almost all USFS lands vs almost all NPS land of the JMT.

By July 1st, assuming a Denver bound start, I think you'll be fine.

The high country is melting out fast! My gut feeling is that everything is behind about two weeks roughly in No Colorado. A July 1st start (+/-) is just about perfect this year.

As for local hikes... All depends on what you mean by local. :D How far did you want to drive? The Beaver Brook Trail is not far from Denver is a great little hike.
Beaver Brook Trail

If you are depending on public transit vs driving, you are better off taking the local bus system to get to Boulder, CO and make use of the extensive Open Space system found there.
This is my absolute favorite hike in the Boulder open space system for a day hike:
Bear Peak - West Ridge Loop

For more hikes avail in Boulder, the the Protrails site has some good ones

If you are in Boulder, you get pick up last minute gear easily while you are there, grab a beer or two at a brew pub and enjoy a bit of CO.

Sarah Miller
(lovesasa) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountain High
The Colorado Trail Forum on 06/13/2011 14:34:50 MDT Print View

While not very active at all, you may want to check out recent posts and/or ask this same question at the Colorado Trail specific forums. http://www.thecoloradotrail.com/phpbb/index.php