Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Need a short cut for baffles

Display Avatars Sort By:
C King
(rimmini) - F
Need a short cut for baffles on 06/04/2011 13:58:54 MDT Print View

Trying to make 3" high 3" wide 30"length baffles for my quilt. I got chiffon... Its much lighter than bug net. But I am having problems cutting the baffles. Any tricks of the trade that might help? thanks in advance.

Colin Krusor
(ckrusor) - M

Locale: Northwest US
Baffles on 06/04/2011 14:16:06 MDT Print View

I'm working on a quilt right now, too, and it has 3" high by 3" wide baffles using a very light material (a 0.3 oz/yd nonwoven nylon). I find this material impossible to cut using a blade and a cutting mat. I drew lines with a sharpie and cut it with very sharp scissors. It isn't chiffon, though. What methods have you tried so far with the chiffon?

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Northern Colorado
Re: Need a short cut for baffles on 06/04/2011 14:41:21 MDT Print View

I've read here or elsewhere that you can wrap the baffle material over a piece of cardboard or masonite cut to your baffle size 3" and then cut the material so that they are uniform in size.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Need a short cut for baffles on 06/04/2011 16:10:33 MDT Print View

One trick you can try is to put ordinary 'scotch tape' down over the fabric to define the cut lines, then cut it with scissors.

Cheers

Mark Fowler
(KramRelwof) - MLife

Locale: Namadgi
Fold and cut on 06/04/2011 18:46:07 MDT Print View

In making my quilt I used this system:

1. Carefully fold the noseeum into 4 layers so that the length of baffle you want is now about 12" to 15" x 4 (48" to 60" baffles)

2. On a cutting mat align the cut edge carefully with one of the rulings on the mat.

3. Using a metal straight edge the required distance from the edge and cut with a rotary cutter.

Repeat step 3.

If the cut edge is uneven at first, cut just in from the edge to get a nice straight edge to work from. It took me no more than 10 minutes to cut all my baffles.

I have also used this system with silnylon although you need to far more careful due to the slipperiness.

Good luck with your quilt.