Packing a Tent
Display Avatars Sort By:
Casey Balza
(equals) - F
Packing a Tent on 06/04/2011 10:12:07 MDT Print View

I was wondering how you would pack a tent into a pack. Do you put it in a stuff sack and strap it on the outside or just stuff it on the inside and at the bottom of the pack? I have a tarptent rainbow, thanks.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Packing a Tent on 06/04/2011 10:37:47 MDT Print View

look at mikes illustration,I know you said tent and Mike is saying tarp,but I know you are looking at using a tarp at least in the future.

Edited by annapurna on 06/04/2011 19:03:30 MDT.

Casey Balza
(equals) - F
packing on 06/04/2011 12:23:31 MDT Print View

Thanks Anna, that clears that problem up :) Yeah I want to get a tarp by next year, hopefully some money will come my way :D I also have to upgrade my heavy sleeping bag...

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Packing a Tent on 06/04/2011 12:34:18 MDT Print View

I strongly recommend packing the shelter at the top of the pack, not the bottom as shown by Mike (it still should be outside the pack liner, though, if it's wet). Why? If the shelter is at the top of your pack, you can remove and set it up in the rain without having to unpack anything else. You then do the rest of your unpacking under the shelter. Using Mike's method, you have to get everything else out first, and everything will get wet while you're pitching the shelter.

My shelter is light and compact enough that I put it in one of the outside side pockets and my water bottle in the other. It would be safer inside the pack if you are bushwhacking, though!

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: packing on 06/04/2011 12:48:13 MDT Print View

Casey,I have never had a problem reaching to the bottom of my bag and pulling out my tarp from under my bag liner,it's quick and easy, for me anyway and I live in the rainy NW.My stuff has stayed dry every time but do what works for you.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Packing a Tent on 06/04/2011 13:33:30 MDT Print View

Obviously there are a number of ways to pack a tent, one not particularly better than the other. I prefer Mary's method (packing it on top so it's the first thing ready to grab). Also like Mary, depending on the day out (if it's not the last), if it's wet I'll probably pack it in one of the outside pockets so I don't even have to open my pack to get it.

As Anna said, do what works for you, or makes sense for you, because nobody's right or wrong on this one, just different.

Casey Balza
(equals) - F
Packing on 06/04/2011 14:28:16 MDT Print View

Packing on top does seem like a good idea when it is raining out so setting up the tent would be faster. Once I get a trash bag liner I will see how easy it is to access it from the bottom vs the top.

Speaking of the trash bag liner...does you put everything in it? Such at cookware, headlamp etc. Or just clothes and sleeping bag?

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Packing on 06/04/2011 16:16:10 MDT Print View

So there's a bit of bad weather out there. How on earth do I get my tent to the bottom of my pack? Simple answer: I don't.

I put everything into my pack and do it up. I can do that inside my tent or outside, depending on the weather. Then I strike camp, roll the tent up, and fasten it down on top of the pack throat under the pack lid. That way it is secure, close to my back and well balanced.

My tent goes in a silnylon stuff sack, but if it is very wet I put a small square of really WP fabric under it, on top of the pack throat, so no water gets into my pack. The square of WP fabric has all sorts of other uses too, like a clean area for preparing food.

Cheers
------------
Edited to replace 'you' with 'I', to avoid confusion.

Edited by rcaffin on 06/05/2011 00:36:58 MDT.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Re: Packing on 06/04/2011 16:33:01 MDT Print View

roger is always right,it's his way or no way,I really found that out!But that was another thread,disregard Mike C. he doesn't know anything.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Re: Packing on 06/04/2011 17:39:00 MDT Print View

"roger is always right,it's his way or no way,I really found that out!But that was another thread,disregard Mike C. he doesn't know anything."

Roger sounds downright logical on this particular subject, especially compared to what you are saying. You and, I guess, Mike C, are the only folks I have ever heard of who pack their shelter in the bottom of their pack. What could possibly be the advantage, especially in rainy weather? I live in the rainy PNW, too, by the way.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Packing a Tent on 06/04/2011 18:26:17 MDT Print View

I actually like packing the tent / tarp on the outside of my pack if possible. That way, in the rain, I don't even have to open my pack.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Re: packing on 06/04/2011 19:02:53 MDT Print View

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=31071

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: packing on 06/04/2011 19:04:06 MDT Print View

I told him what I do, and then wrote he should do what works best for him,I didn't say I'm right and only my way works.People can give advise but it is up to him to decide what works best for him by going out and trying different techniques.

Edited by annapurna on 06/04/2011 19:19:40 MDT.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
Packing a Tent on 06/04/2011 21:47:31 MDT Print View

That survey has some flaws.

I'm skeptical of links between damage and how it was packed.

Did not ask if damage occurred in camp or pack.

Likely that people who will need their tarp keep them handy.
Likely these tarps get more damaged because they see more storms, and the flying/fallIng debris that come with.

Unlikely people are damaging their tarps by packing them to be available.

Todd Taylor
(texasbb) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Packing a Tent on 06/04/2011 23:09:47 MDT Print View

My rainbow goes in the front mesh pocket of my ULA Catalyst. As others have pointed out, it's nice for the tent to be easy to unpack if it's raining at setup. More important, perhaps, is that I can reload the whole pack inside the tent if it's raining in the morning, then stuff the wet tent into the big outside pocket last thing.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Re : Packing a tent on 06/05/2011 06:18:18 MDT Print View

The best method is the one that suits your typical weather. It's often raining when i'm pitching or packing up, so i like to carry my Duomid in an outside mesh pocket.
The stakes are always carried in a side mesh pocket, so i can be under cover before i have to open the pack. I use polycro as a groundsheet, and that is carried on the outside too. The polycro keeps my inner tent or bivvy dry, so they can be carried on the inside.

Casey Balza
(equals) - F
packing on 06/05/2011 10:36:15 MDT Print View

Yeah packing the tent or tarp outside in the mesh pocket seams convenient and more practical. That idea never really accord to me because I don't have a UL pack yet with a big mesh pocket. I am in need of an upgrade that is for sure. Thanks for some more suggestions everyone :)

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Packing a Shelter on 06/05/2011 13:50:14 MDT Print View

My preference is to pack on the outside - handy, plus easier to dry out as I'm hiking on the trail if need be.