Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Pack strap pockets
Display Avatars Sort By:
Colin Krusor
(ckrusor) - M

Locale: Northwest US
Pack strap pockets on 06/03/2011 15:32:58 MDT Print View

I'm working on a pack and I like the idea of putting large pockets on the shoulder straps to distribute the load. I can think of several advantages to this but I only occasionally see it on commercial or MYOG packs. Chest packs accomplish the same thing, I realize, but I like to run a bit with my pack on, and a chest pack snug enough for running would be too warm for me on hot days, I think. Strap pockets don't increase torso coverage by the pack, and they're already snug. Has anyone tried packs with extensive strap storage and disliked it for any reason? I'm wondering why it isn't universal.

Edited by ckrusor on 06/03/2011 15:36:10 MDT.

Brendan Swihart
(brendans) - MLife

Locale: Fruita CO
Re: Pack strap pockets on 06/04/2011 08:48:48 MDT Print View

I dislike large strap pockets mainly because they feel like they're in the way and my pack is light enough that I don't feel like I need the extra weight distribution. If they were very large it seems like they'd restrict arm movement at the shoulders as well. On your pack you could make the pockets removable and see if you like them and could then try different designs and sizes. Definitely show us what you come up with!