Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Lamarck Col to Mt Whitney
Display Avatars Sort By:
Steven Thompson
(stevet) - M

Locale: Northeast
Lamarck Col to Mt Whitney on 06/02/2011 22:28:22 MDT Print View

Trip report of Art's and my hike last summer. Entered the Sierra via Lamarck Col and over the next week hiked to Mt Whitney. Met some great people along the way.

Here is the link:

https://vennacher.wordpress.com/2011/06/02/john-muir-trail-halfer-2010/

Steve

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Lamarck Col to Mt Whitney on 06/02/2011 23:01:35 MDT Print View

Excellent trip report.

--B.G.--

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
"Lamarck Col to Mt Whitney" on 06/03/2011 11:42:07 MDT Print View

That is a great trip report.

Did you carry an empty bear canister from your cache location at Kearsarge through the end of the trip?

Steven Thompson
(stevet) - M

empty bear cannister? on 06/03/2011 12:29:18 MDT Print View

Yes. I jammed my sleeping bag in its stuff sack into the empty each morning. Since the cannisters sit sideways in my pack it was not a problem (aside from an extra 1.5lbs) to carry the empty.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: empty bear cannister? on 06/03/2011 19:37:21 MDT Print View

Lamarck is one heck of a cool col to go over! Love that area!!! Nice report!

Peter Griffith
(petergriffith) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: empty bear cannister? on 06/03/2011 23:57:20 MDT Print View

Outstanding trip report and nicely written.

I went over Lamarck Col from North Lake about week after you. Our experience finding the col was very similar. We turned north on the JMT and went through Evolution Valley then up the Piute Trail and back over the Piute Pass to North Lake. Beautiful country!

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: empty bear cannister? on 06/04/2011 00:08:03 MDT Print View

Another alternative to Lamarck Col is Echo Col. It intersects the JMT a couple of miles south of Muir Pass. I think it is Class 3.

--B.G.--

Steve S
(idahosteve) - F

Locale: Idaho
hiking schedule on 06/05/2011 21:27:01 MDT Print View

Great report! Enjoyed your reflections immensely. Was curious about your hiking schedule for the evening. What time did you take your break/dinner, and how long did you rest before walking again, and then how long did you walk before camping? Did you snack before bed as well? Thanks

Steven Thompson
(stevet) - M

re: hiking schedule on 06/05/2011 22:36:24 MDT Print View

Since I was a bit faster I usually stopped around 4pm and Art arrived around 5. We'd be back on the trail, usually between 6 and 6:30 and walk for anywhere between one to two and a half hours. We always wanted some light when we set up camp.

Once in camp, we always had the option to snack. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

The best thing about the late afternoon stop is that you can stop where it is convenient to clean up...usually near a lake or a creek, and where you have plenty of water for cooking, and provides a 2nd long rest break (lunch break was usually 30-60min, the dinner break usually 60-90min). Hiking a short distance (2-5 miles) afterward gives you many more options for camping.