Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Energy Bars
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Jordan
(ryan) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
Energy Bars on 04/12/2005 22:22:21 MDT Print View

This forum thread was created in response to the new article released at BackpackingLight.com on April 12:

First Annual Energy Bar Test

So, the topics du jour for this thread includes:

• Your favorite bars?
  • The role of bars in your ultralight meal plan
  • Bars vs. Gels?
  • Better ways to spend weight than on bars?
  • Any bars out there that Don't Get Old on a Long Distance Hike?

Edited by ryan on 04/12/2005 22:22:42 MDT.

Michael Martin
(MikeMartin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: North Idaho
Cane Juice on 04/12/2005 23:49:16 MDT Print View

I'd like to know what marketing genius came up with "evaporated cane juice" -- sounds a lot like sugar to me.

Is this stuff somehow better than regular ol' C&H?

-Mike

PS -- Please take this post with a grain of salt. Umm...err, make that a grain of organic-evaporated-crystalized-ocean-essence. <g>

Edited by MikeMartin on 04/13/2005 10:01:20 MDT.

Roman Dial
(romandial) - F - M

Locale: packrafting NZ
food bars on 04/13/2005 00:04:13 MDT Print View

As far as I am concerned, the best bars are good old fashioned "candy bars". Perhaps this article could benefit from a control: a snickers, mars, or maybe cadbury milk chocolate for us to get everything calibrated.

I personally am unable to eat more than one "energy bar" a day but I can put away a fine multiple of that in good chocolate bars.

jeremy wo
(jwucd) - F
old fashioned bars on 04/13/2005 01:29:31 MDT Print View

Hear, hear.

Candybars are much cheaper and easier to get. Also, they taste better. They can be a bit sweet, so I like to add some granola bars to the pack.

I noticed Snickers has an energy bar out. I tried it, and as far as I can tell it's just like a normal Snickers bar but tastes nasty.

;-)

p.s. When I got tired of carrying around energy bars that I never ate because they were no good I just made my own energy goo. A stick of butter, half cup sugar (I mean, dehydrated cane juice), half cup flower, half cup peanut butter, and a little vanilla (it's basically peanut butter cookie dough). And take a vitamin.

Edited by jwucd on 04/13/2005 01:36:35 MDT.

Tony Burnett
(tlbj6142) - F

Locale: OH--IO
Not candy bars... on 04/13/2005 07:56:00 MDT Print View

I am by no means a nutrition freak, but I'm not a fan of candybars. Just don't like the taste and/or chocolate.

I, do however, love Cliff/Luna bars. Plenty of flavors to choose from and I can get them from Big Lots for $0.50-$0.60 each. I guess they are not "natural" so they don't qualify for this report.

Alfred Pelayo
(movingmountain) - F
Cliff bars on 04/13/2005 08:31:39 MDT Print View

I prefer Cliff bars. On long trips I do not get tired of eating them as some other bars. Not sure why there not on the list.

David Neumann
(idahomtman) - M

Locale: Northern Idaho
Cliff Bars and Snicker's Marathon on 04/13/2005 09:46:54 MDT Print View

Cliff Bars get my vote. Plenty of variety and high quality taste. Throw in a few Snicker's Marathon's for extra-good flavor and that provides me with plenty of energy on short and long trips.

Marcus Needham
(backpackinglight@needham.net) - F
Clifs, Odwallas, Larabars on 04/13/2005 09:53:35 MDT Print View

Another vote for Clifs, and I also think that Odwalla bars are similar and very good. Finally, the best of all IMHO though smaller and more expensive, are Larabars, which are just pressed fruit and nuts.

jerry rounsley
(jrounsley@gci.net) - F
Energy Bars on 04/13/2005 10:08:56 MDT Print View

Boomi Bars,any flavor.
Clif Bars new Builder's 20g protein,
peanut butter flavor, break them into pieces and ration those, will last you for miles. Any dark chocolate over 70%
chocolate from chocosphere.com.

David Robinson
(RobinsonHome) - F
Power Bar "harvest" on 04/13/2005 10:18:55 MDT Print View

I went through a period where I tried just about every energy bar I could lay my hands on. For me, the two largest criteria were:
1) Taste
2) Calories/weight ratio

Most failed the taste test in my book. In the end, I found Power Bar "Harvest" to be the only one that I could pretty consistently eat any flavor without gagging. They don't have the best calories/weight ratio, but at least I'll eat 'em.

...and I'll put a third vote in for candy bars. I normally carry a couple snicker's / day and sometimes a bag of peanut M&M's. One of my snickers traditionally gets downed at night when I'm in my bag... the extra calories help keep me warm and ward off that urge to pee at 4am.

David Bonn
(david_bonn) - F

Locale: North Cascades
another clif bar fan on 04/13/2005 11:02:27 MDT Print View

I pretty consistently choke down one clif bar a day on a trip. For a longer trip and consistent high-mileage days (e.g. 20+ mpd), maybe two a day and a gel or two.

Probably the biggest thing I look for in a "food bar" is that it should not break teeth at low temperatures and not require a spoon to eat on a warm day. Clif bars do that, and come in enough flavors to ensure variety and I generally am happy with the flavors. Actually, the peanut butter flavor reminds me of homemade granola bars.

The caffeinated bars are great when you roll out of bed early and skip brewing up, and also on a midafternoon when you still have nine miles to go to make camp, or at the start of a 3000' climb.

I'm neither proud nor consistent, though, and have consumed tiger's milk bars, odwalla bars, snicker's bars, various granola bars, bear valley "pemmican" bars (although they have this aftertaste that makes me think of paint thinner).

A local bakery here makes "date bars" which are outrageously dense, and probably have about fifteen hundred calories. They also sometimes sell "granola bars" which are also quite tasty. These don't keep as well as the commercially packaged bars, but they are so much more tasty that it is often worth the trouble.

I've experimented with the various "gels" over the last few years, and found they are great for quicker energy (the Clif Bar buzz seems to take about twenty minutes to kick in, and lasts 2-3 hours) and for making you thirsty enough to drink more water. Supposedly they are good electrolyte replacers as well, and that can be important if you are drinking four or five liters of water a day. My big gripe about the gel products is the packaging is awkward. I'd rather see the stuff in a tube with a cap (like toothpaste, pesto mix, or wasabi) and I could just take a hit off the tube when the urge strikes. A tube that held the equivalent of 3-4 gel packages would seem to be about right. My guess is that it would also be cheaper to package them this way, and since the gels are so outrageously expensive that is no small thing.

Edited by david_bonn on 04/13/2005 11:04:22 MDT.

Marcus Needham
(backpackinglight@needham.net) - F
Hammer and CarbBoom gels on 04/13/2005 11:08:55 MDT Print View

David, you can buy Hammer and CarbBoom in large bottles (16 or 20 fl oz) and then repackage them into 5 floz polyethylene poptop flasks. Hammergel comes (or at least used to) packaged with a free flask per bottle, or you can buy them from Ulitmate Directions. I find a 5 oz flask to be great for supplementing solid food on a tough day hike. Gu and some of the other gel brands come in 5oz sizes for refilling a flask too.

Alfred Dole
(fdole) - M

Locale: Northwest
Power Bars on 04/13/2005 14:08:39 MDT Print View

Several years ago my son and I hiked the John Muir Trail. I realized on the second day that we needed a bit more food. At the Tuolome Meadows store I bought enough Power Bars for us to share through the trip, (one each day.) We began stopping for a morning break each day at about 10:30, carefully cutting a Power Bar in half, and doing our best to keep hydrated. We stopped again for lunch around 2:30, and then camped at about 6:00 or 6:30. The Power Bars made a huge difference! We remained very satisfied and full through the rest of the incredibly memorable trip. I was very surprised! I can't wait to do it again!!

Don Lake
(donlake) - F
promax bars on 04/13/2005 19:58:47 MDT Print View

you should have checked out the promax bars. they taste great and have the right stuff. i use them on all my sierra trips.

Craig Zastera
(craigza) - F
you left out the best backpacking bars on 04/13/2005 20:47:26 MDT Print View

I can't believe that you ommitted Bear Valley Pemmican bars. I consider them easily the best choice for backpacking trips. They contain 100% natural ingredients and come in four varieties. For example, the "carob cocoa" flavor contains "Malted corn and barley, nonfat milk, soy flour, honey, almonds, raisins, oats, soy oil ,sunflower seeds, cocoa, wheat bran, carob."
Each bar is 3.75 oz and 410 - 440 calories (depending on flavor) with a good balance between protein, fat, and carbs plus vitamins.

Don Wilson
(don) - MLife

Locale: Koyukuk River, Alaska
Tiger's Milk rules! on 04/13/2005 22:39:59 MDT Print View

I think I'll try some of these new bars. Energy bars are nice becuiase they pack so well and are so convenient. If only they had good taste without being too sweet.

I'm a big fan of Tiger's Milk bars. Sort of a cross between a candy bar and an energy bar. Not too sweet, but I don't need to suppress my gag reflex after a day or two of eating these gems. They come in two flavors, which taste exactly identical to me (peanut butter and high protein, I think).

I too have a collection of energy bars which I have hoisted around on various trips, always leaving them for last, and never eating them unless I'm desparate. Some have been on numerous trips and circumnavigated the globe.

Mike Storesund
(mikes) - F
Snickers comparison on 04/14/2005 10:21:53 MDT Print View

I just did a stare-and-compare between the Snickers Marathon Energy Bar and the Snickers Candy Bar. Listing the percentage of Daily Value (DV) based on a 2000 calorie diet. The energy bar has many vitamins and minerals listed that the candy bar does not. The candy bar tastes better (probably because of the doubled fat and sugars), but offers minimul or no information on nutritional value. I have tasted worse energy bars than the Snickers.
I believe an earlier post stated something like 'I'd rather eat the candy bar and take a multi-vitamin', which is not too far off if taste is a concern. Then you have to add the weight of the vitamins in addition to the heavier candy bar!
I think the energy bar packs better than the candy bar and it doesn't melt like the candy bar so they last longer in the pack.
I usually get these type bars by the case for the scouting event (you find they will eat just about anything). With the kids, they also tend to eat the candy bars on the first day rather than spread them out for the duration of the trip. In the past, I have bought the PowerBar (regular and harvest), the Gold Bars and the Snickers bars. I guess I will have to try Tigers Milk next.

Edited by mikes on 04/14/2005 10:24:53 MDT.

Ken Bennett
(ken_bennett) - F

Locale: southeastern usa
Second Breakfast on 04/14/2005 11:09:14 MDT Print View

Lately we've been eating an energy bar or maybe a package of Pop-Tarts (boo, hiss!) about 2 hours after breakfast. In honor of Hobbits, some of whom have walked many long miles barefoot, we've started calling this 'Second Breakfast.' (LOTR fans may recall the bit of dialogue that mentions this.) Second Breakfast is a huge help in getting through the morning, both physically and psychologically. (Actually, the finest second breakfast we ever had was at a small cafe just off the AT north of Damascus, Va. Mmmm, biscuits!)

I like Clif bars for all the reasons listed above: taste, easy to eat in both warm and cold conditions, and did I mention taste? I like the Carrot Cake flavor, though some might find it too sweet. I was particularly fond of the Spiced Pumpkin flavor last fall, though that one's gone now.

I also like BV Pemmican Bars, but I find I need to drink a LOT of water to eat an entire bar. Mostly we share one among the three of us.

I have a harder time with Snickers and the like. I like chocolate, but I find I have to force myself to eat a whole bar, even after a couple of weeks on the trail. (Really good dark chocolate still goes down just fine, though.) So I buy the mini-bars, and use them as occasional taste-treats while hiking and after meals.

Thanks the test crew for trying all of the tested bars. I found it most interesting that each had a different favorite.

Ken B

(Anonymous)
hobbits culturally adapted to backpacking meal regimes on 04/14/2005 12:35:50 MDT Print View

"Daily hobbit meals include Breakfast, Second Breakfast, Elevenses, Luncheon,
Afternoon Tea and Supper, supplemented with plenty of snacks in between. ..."

Middle Earth had lembas we have clif bars

Tony Burnett
(tlbj6142) - F

Locale: OH--IO
lembas... on 04/14/2005 15:30:28 MDT Print View

Lembas, one bite will last the day. Imagine, an ounce or so of food for an entire trip!

Edited by tlbj6142 on 04/14/2005 15:31:10 MDT.

David Bonn
(david_bonn) - F

Locale: North Cascades
eating on the installment plan on 04/14/2005 19:26:32 MDT Print View

Generally, I've found that "lunch" on a hike is whatever is consumed between the time I leave camp in the morning and when I set the pack down for the last time and pitch the tarp. If I'm not walking, I'm most likely feeding.

Thanks for the pointers on larger-size "gel" products. I also discovered that Clif sells "big shots" (16-serving jugs of clif gel) but only in the razz and mocha flavors.

Now if only you could have a y-valve for a hydration system, so I could switch between gel and water...

jeremy wo
(jwucd) - F
Snickers weight on 04/14/2005 19:52:05 MDT Print View

"Then you have to add the weight of the vitamins in addition to the heavier candy bar!"

Not so. Marathon bars are about 113 Calories/ounce, but regular Snickers bars are about 135 Calories/ounce! The vitimins do add a little weight, but they have a lot more vitimins and minerals than the bar.

You're right about melting though. Forgetting about a candy bar in your bag until it melts and gets chocolate over everything sucks. And it's easier to ration energy bars, since they don't taste as good.

Mike Storesund
(mikes) - F
Snickers weight on 04/14/2005 22:04:21 MDT Print View

Sorry, I was being funny about the weight of the Snickers bar and vitamins combination. Of the two bars I compared, the candy bar weighed 3 grams more than the energy bar and you really would need a multi-vitamin to make up the difference between the two.

george cauthen
(gnothiself) - F
Payday not a bad choice on 04/14/2005 23:43:40 MDT Print View

salted peanuts on caramel. RC cola hard to get these days, but redneck gas station convenience stores often stock payday.

What's this dumping on rednecks? Who will be next? People with less than master's degrees?

There is just not that much difference between hi-tec AT walkers and the Walmart boots/gun/deer stand locals often near the trail. Or great depression hobos for that matter.

Not that much difference between REI markups and walmart knockoffs either.

I have no idea who I voted for in the last two elections, or even whether I voted. I know who I tried to vote for, though.

John Garberson
(Montana) - F
Paydays on 04/15/2005 08:16:37 MDT Print View

I rarely eat candy bars EXCEPT on the trail and then I take Payday. They don't melt and are darn near indestructible. Don't even need to bring the wrapper...unwrap 'em and drop 'em into the gorp bag. They have a bit of salt which I crave on a hot hike and list at 145calories/ounce.

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest
i second the motion on 04/15/2005 09:44:29 MDT Print View

my fav also:

unwrapped payday bars in bag(s) of G.O.R.P.

GORP-plus /// GORP+ /// superGORP may consist of some of the following, dependin' upon what i have available:

raisins, payday bars, peanuts, almonds, sometimes cashews/walnuts/pecans, always dried papaya&dried pineapple, sometimes non-sulfurated apples, craisins, apricots, a couple of prunes, sometimes various types of seeds, carob coated peanuts&raisins (doesn't seem to melt as easily as chocolate), occasionally M&M's, sometimes choco. coated espresso beans (haven't found carob coated espresso beans yet).

buy the ingredients separately at the super-market. can be made more cheaply or more expensively depending upon the ingredients selected.

sometimes all i eat is GORP with multi-V&M supplement.

any other GORP suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by pj on 04/15/2005 09:45:35 MDT.

Phil Barton
(flyfast) - MLife

Locale: Oklahoma
gorp on 04/15/2005 10:59:46 MDT Print View

Paul, like you, I tend to cruise the grocery store for what hits my fancy when building the next trip's GORP. Lately, I've added banana chips.

I'll have to try the chocoloate coated espresso beans and Payday bars.

The other ingredient I'll often add is a teaspoon of salt in the mix. I tend to crave salt when hiking and just like that little bit extra.

GORP is a much more personal thing than I ever realized.

Edited by flyfast on 04/15/2005 11:00:22 MDT.

Carol Crooker
(cmcrooker) - MLife

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA
GORP on 04/15/2005 14:39:45 MDT Print View

My favorite GORP ingredients are: raw almonds, cranberries!, macadamia nuts, and pistachio nuts.

Richard Nelridge
(naturephoto1) - M

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania
Sunflower seeds & m&m peanuts on 04/15/2005 14:55:51 MDT Print View

Sunflower seeds can also add nicely to a GORP mix. Also m&m peanuts will give you both peanuts and chocolate that will not melt easily.

Edited by naturephoto1 on 04/15/2005 15:03:49 MDT.

Mike Storesund
(mikes) - F
G.O.R.P. on 04/15/2005 15:15:50 MDT Print View

Good Old Raisins & Peanuts (GORP) is probably the best energy combination listed. Everyone can make their own according to their tastes. Also,if there is an allergy to specific foods, they can of course be eliminated. I think the Pay-Day bar is another great addition.

dan kutcher
(danscapes49) - F
Kudos on 04/15/2005 18:09:08 MDT Print View

My favorite is chocolate chip. I like the Clif bars, too, but Kudos are my favorite - right in between candy and a breakfast cereal bar in sweetness and nutrition.

(Anonymous)
LaraBar Clarification and Free Sample Offer on 04/18/2005 23:16:20 MDT Print View

I would like to clarify a misconception by the reviewers about LaraBar. LaraBars do not ever melt or freeze because they are made from only fruit, nuts and spices - nothing else added. They are the cleanest burning energy because of the purity of ingredients.
If you are interested in sampling a LaraBar, and you are one of the first 50 people to contact us from this article, we will happily send you a sample to try. Please contact us at 877-LARABAR.

Alan Dixon
(alandixon) - MLife

Locale: Mid-Atlantic
LaraBar Clarification on 04/19/2005 07:25:50 MDT Print View

LaraBars, thank you for posting a clarification on the temperature properties of your product.

Please note that the LaraBar was the second highest rated bar in our tests. It was my personal favorite. I have a number of LaraBars at home waiting to go on my next trip. That being said…

No product is perfect in the eyes of all beholders. The LaraBar had a host of positive comments and only a few negative ones. That is what one would expect from a well received product. I believe by ‘likely to melt’ our commenter (anonymous by test design) meant that the fruit portion would soften with higher temperature. Our highest rated bar got a similar comment ‘likely to crumble outside the package.’

-Alan Dixon
Product Review Director

James Augustine
(chirodr) - F

Locale: Southern California
Fuel Bars on 04/21/2005 00:02:05 MDT Print View

I like bars that are made out of food, and was very impressed to find the fuel bars being certified organic nuts and seeds...no added synthetic, fractionated vitamins and chemicals. FYI...I contacted the company and they are locally distributed by Bristol Farms. Soon, Whole Foods market and Mothers will carry them as well.

Good stuff!

Jim

Carol Crooker
(cmcrooker) - MLife

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA
FREE Larabars on 04/26/2005 12:07:53 MDT Print View

Has anyone received their free sample Larabars yet? (See the phone number 3 posts previously). When your samples arrive, please post the results of your taste tests :)
The Larabars were my second favorite after Probars. I like to take 1 of each for each backpacking day.

Edited by cmcrooker on 04/26/2005 12:09:44 MDT.

Alan Dixon
(alandixon) - MLife

Locale: Mid-Atlantic
Larabars at Whole Foods on 04/26/2005 12:30:57 MDT Print View

BTW my Whole Foods has a complete set of the Larabar line in the energy bar section. ProBars I have to order online which is a lot less convenient.

-Alan

Ken Bennett
(ken_bennett) - F

Locale: southeastern usa
found Larabars at Whole Foods on 04/26/2005 16:23:48 MDT Print View

Bought one of the Cherry Larabars at Whole Foods. I picked the flavor at random -- I love cherries, but most 'cherry flavored' stuff is that nasty artificial flavor that tastes like cough drops.

But the Larabar does have a good, intense, real cherry flavor. Very similar to the flavor of my homemade dried tart cherries, in fact. The overall texture and flavor aren't bad (sort of a dates-and-nuts flavor), and I don't think it can freeze very hard in cold weather. IIRC the single bar was about $2.29, and a case of 16 was $30, which makes them about twice the cost of Clif bars. That's going to limit the number of Larabars for me, anyway. I may end up with the occasional single bar for a different flavor.

Ken

Mike Storesund
(mikes) - F
LaraBar on 04/27/2005 09:07:46 MDT Print View

I received my free LaraBar and tried it. I got the Banana Cookie, which tastes quite a bit like Banana Nut Bread. The texture is chewy, not like jerky, but more like fruit leather.
I would try more LaraBar flavors on a weekend trip just to find out how well they satisfy my needs.

Mike Storesund
(mikes) - F
LaraBar on 05/02/2005 14:16:44 MDT Print View

Well after I tried my free LaraBar I bought some more for this last weekend trip. I had the Chocolate Coconut Chew and 3/4 through the bar I bit into something hard. After isolating it, I found it to be a piece of walnut shell. I guess their quality control let that one go through.
Added;
I talked with the people at Humm Foods to advise them of the lot number I had the shell piece. I understand that when they deal with natural foods in bulk, especially items like walnuts, or any shelled item sometimes shell pieces will slip through inspection. They were very responsive and their immediate concern was if I had any dental needs, which I did not.
I have sent them the wrapper and shell piece and they have offered more than replacing the bar. In all honesty I was not expecting their offer, just wanted to advise them of the issue.

Edited by mikes on 05/02/2005 21:59:38 MDT.

JD Schaefer
(JDRower) - MLife

Locale: North Carolina
Clif Bars should be included because. . . on 05/03/2005 13:11:45 MDT Print View

They're 4 to 1 carbs to protein and that's an ideal ratio for replenishing lost fuel and rebuilding damaged (used) muscle, at least that's what my nutritionist recommended when I did a 2-day 17-hour row from Corvallis, OR to Portland, OR.

Seems to me she included hydration in there too.

Lots of variety with Clif Bars.

J R
(RavenUL) - F
Odwalla bars on 05/05/2005 13:26:41 MDT Print View

I really like alot of the bars put out by Odwalla. Some of them *look* kind of interesting (superfood = compressed road apples) but they taste good and have a solid ingredient base.

Some Odwalla bars always get tossed in along with some Hammer gel and (now) a ProBar or two.

Steven Hardy
(hardyhiker1) - F
Cherry Pie Larabar on 05/05/2005 14:26:25 MDT Print View

I got a cherry pie flavor Lara bar. I liked it. It is a bit tart and not sugary, and is chewy, not hard. My wife and son did not like it. The person on the phone said it is their most popular flavor.

Dennis Horwitz
(dennishorwitz) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
BALANCE Energy Crunch Mix & Favorite CLIFF Bar on 05/22/2005 18:53:50 MDT Print View

I don't have the sweet tooth for most of the bars out there. There are two things I really like:
1. BALANCE Energy Crunch Mix. This is a great tasting substitute for gorp - a little healthier too. The Chocolate and Toffee mixes tast good, The Berry Crunch is awful!

2. CLIFF BAR Chocolate Almond Fudge. This is a satisfying brownie like bar. I like the texture, a little of the almond crunch, and the taste - without being overly sweet.

Andrea Feucht
(andreafeucht) - F
Larabars - how to get them cheaper! on 05/30/2005 20:23:54 MDT Print View

I have a budding addiction to Larabars that I've tempered so far by reminding myself how much they cost. Yikes.

Now, the $2.29 I've seen mentioned is a bit steeper than around here (New Mexico). Regular price at Wild Oats is $1.79, and they have been on sale a few times at $1.59. On top of that, when you buy a case of ANYTHING at Wild Oats they will bump 10% off the price (even if you mix flavors rather than just grab a case box off the shelf). That brings the unit cost down to about $1.43 plus tax. Not too bad for something that tastes so good.

The story behind Larabar is typical - she was on a backpacking trip and decided that the food she brought was gross and "why can't anyone make a bar that I like???", so after the trip she started experimenting. Usually the story includes a line about her burning through a dozen food processor motors - hehe - and finalizing the formulations.

Getting shelf life took a new wrapper technology, and then they were ready to sell.

No, I don't work for them. I just had a minor epiphany the very first bar I tried (banana cookie), and I spread the word when I can.

And, since $1.43 is still not that cheap, I of course have been experimenting with my own food processor now and then. :-)

Andrea
http://tenacity.net

Al Shaver
(Al_T.Tude) - F - M

Locale: High Sierra and CA Central Coast
Another Clif Fan on 06/27/2005 03:29:52 MDT Print View

I Consumed 5 Clif Bars/day on 12 day unsupported JMT trip last summer with no problems. they are edible in a wide range of temperatures and I get them for $.79 @ Costco Warehouse Stores. I'd love to know how to obtain them for the previously reported $.50-.60

Regarding water consumption with bars: The human body can only metabolize 7gm of carbohydrate/100ml water(referred to as The 7% Solution). (I don't know how this applies to protein and fats.) Therefore it should come as no surprise that you have to consume twice as much water with a 400 calorie bar than with a 200 calorie bar. This also means that if you eat over 70gm of carb/liter of water(or put this amt. of carb powder in your water) your body will dehydrate itself attempting to add fluid to your stomach until it's contents are diluted to 7%.

This is also why I don't understand gels. They are heavy (because they contain water) and you have to guess how much water to consume with the amount of gel that you have consumed to avoid going over 7%. I pre-measure $.25 baggies of Gatorade and toss one in each quart of water and I have a bottle of 7% solution ready to go. What could be simpler, lighter, cheaper, easier and more accurate?

Edited by Al_T.Tude on 06/27/2005 03:43:00 MDT.

Tim Kropf
(tkoutdoor) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: another clif bar fan on 11/26/2006 14:59:24 MST Print View

Quoting you here... "My big gripe about the gel products is the packaging is awkward. I'd rather see the stuff in a tube with a cap (like toothpaste, pesto mix, or wasabi) and I could just take a hit off the tube when the urge strikes. A tube that held the equivalent of 3-4 gel packages would seem to be about right."

Have you seen the DIY food tubes that REI has? If you don't mind packaging them yourself this might be an option for you. I think the packaging weight might be more, but it is a reusable food tube that could be used again and again. They would probably hold several servings compared to the serving size of the original product.

Tim

Elliott Wolin
(ewolin) - MLife

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia
What about protein? on 12/01/2006 10:34:24 MST Print View

Most posts here are concerned with taste and calories. But I find that not all calories are created equal.

My family finds that bars that have a significant amount of protein are more satisfying. We each ate two bars every morning for breakfast for 14 days on the Wonderland Trail, one upon waking, the second mid-morning. This kept us going until lunch (on occasion I would have liked a third bar, though).

Bars without significant protein do not keep us going until lunch.

We tried them all: Power bars, Clif bars, Balance bars, Luna, etc, and have a mild preference for Clif bars.

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
favorite bars on 12/03/2006 17:53:03 MST Print View

I make my own bars using a high energy cereal by Kelloggs called Vector. I'm not sure if you have it in the US but it is available up here in Canada. I add peanut butter, fruit and a few other ingredients to make my own energy bars.

Now if I had to buy bars I would have to say that Clif and Luna are my favs. I really like the Clif Carrot Cake bar.