Ultralight Adventure Equipment (ULA) CDT Backpack Review
Display Avatars Sort By:
Addie Bedford
(addiebedford) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Ultralight Adventure Equipment (ULA) CDT Backpack Review on 05/31/2011 14:40:22 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Ultralight Adventure Equipment (ULA) CDT Backpack Review

Jonathan Ryan
(Jkrew81) - F - M

Locale: White Mtns
Re: Ultralight Adventure Equipment (ULA) CDT Backpack Review on 06/01/2011 06:13:03 MDT Print View

I have always been a fan of this pack. My wife has used her conduit for years and never had a complaint. A year back I bought one and while I loved it, I ended up selling it due to the short sizing. I am 6'4" and found the same torso sizing issue as Will.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Ultralight Adventure Equipment (ULA) CDT Backpack Review on 06/01/2011 08:47:41 MDT Print View

The new CDT appears to be in three sizes now - s,m,l. Will, do you know where the M/L pack you tested would 'fall' in this new sizing range? Thanks,

Tor Magnus Castberg
(logrus)

Locale: Norway
hipbelt/backlength on 06/01/2011 12:02:48 MDT Print View

I believe M/L refers to hipbelt size / back length.

I.e. the size of his hipbelt is M and the length of the back is L.

PS: Reading again the sizes he states as available it doesn't make sense to me at all. Either these packs have been differently sized before, unlike their other pack, or the author is mistaken with the data.

Edited by logrus on 06/01/2011 12:14:04 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Ultralight Adventure Equipment (ULA) CDT Backpack Review on 06/01/2011 12:05:28 MDT Print View

Hi Tor - my CDT from 2010 was a M/L size. There were only two sizes at the time, one of which was small.

Derek Johnson
(veilsidecelica01)
ULa on 06/01/2011 17:55:21 MDT Print View

The website still shows the angled side pockets is there something im missing? and with the hand straps how does that take weight off of your shoulders when it is pulling on them?

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: ULa on 06/01/2011 18:37:45 MDT Print View

I bought one a few weeks ago and it still has the angled pockets. I like being able to get my water bottle easily, but these do seem a little over the top in that regard.

Sean Staplin
(mtnrat) - MLife

Locale: Southern Cdn Rockies
Side pockets on 02/05/2013 23:45:55 MST Print View

I actually really like the angled mesh side pockets. When used with 1 litre platypus, they cradle them perfectly and can be removed and replaced easily while hiking. They stayed in the pockets very securely even while doing serious bushwhacking. I just made sure the bungie's were tight and the platys were deeply cradled in the pockets. I could see how other things might fall out though, especially a hard plastic water bottle.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Side pockets on 02/07/2013 20:37:19 MST Print View

I used to have a Conduit, which I think is now the CDT. The reason I got rid of it was the side pockets. I could keep a platy in it on flat easy trails, but hiking cross country going up and down canyon walls, they would not stay put no matter what I did. Perhaps they have changed them. When I contacted Brian Flankel (who was very nice BTW), he said the pockets were designed for the typical 16 oz water bottle, not the thicker ones like sports drinks, or for platys. I have not had good luck with mesh pockets on any brand pack.

ULA Conduit

DSC000653

DSC00649

DSC00650

DSC00651

DSC00652

Below are some side pockets that do work well, IMO.

Water Pocket LBP
This is a 64 ounce Gatorade bottle.

08 McHale Pack
Two 64 ounce Gatorade bottles.

IMG_0098
Two 1 liter platys.

IMG_0012
1 liter platy.

Edited by ngatel on 02/07/2013 20:38:18 MST.