Forum Index » Chaff » Free/Cheap Building Materials

Display Avatars Sort By:
Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Free/Cheap Building Materials on 05/31/2011 12:21:47 MDT Print View

This has nothing to do with backpacking or the outdoors....or does it? The cheaper I build mom's new apartment in my backyard, the more likely I am to have income left for backpacking. Does that count?

Anyway, I am building mom a 300sf apartment in my backyard, attached to my house. I dont have any money for this project except maybe a few thousand if i sell my truck. So I need to find very creative ways to get building materials. The labor is no problem, i have a number of contractor and carpenter types willing to help. You guys are so resourceful when it comes to this kind of stuff, I thought I would see if you have any advice for me.

It will need to look like a standard plaster and wood addition with composite roofing for the city to approve it. So I'll need lumber, stucco, tile roofing, drywall, flooring, raised foundation, plumbing, electrical, etc, etc.

If I lived on a ranch somewhere I'd just throw together a hay-bale home for her, that would be awesome. But in the suburbs, no can do. Any ideas?

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Free/Cheap Building Materials on 05/31/2011 12:26:19 MDT Print View

Adobe or rammed earth. Our stucco houses are meant to look somewhat like those anyway, so why not go for the real thing? Maybe even put stucco on it too!

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Craig's List on 05/31/2011 14:36:48 MDT Print View

We have Craig's list in Seattle. Do you have it or something like it where you are? They have a listing for things people want to give away free.

Some people keep a mobile internet device of some type in their truck so they can respond to good free stuff when it first appears.