I worked on this over the weekend, and I am 90% done with the top quilt.
Photos on Flickr: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjv76Y3v
I gathered all of my materials and tools on Saturday afternoon. I have never sewn before. I played around with some scrap fabric and decided to roll with it. Measuring everything was pretty tricky. I had a yard stick and a right angle straight edge, but I still ended up triple checking all of my measurements. Marking with the grease pencil was not working that great, so I switched to a sharpie...which in the end was a mistake because I have a couple sharpie marks on my fabric. :( Considering it is a camo print, it is not that noticeable - but still annoying.
After getting the basic measurements of 72" long x 52" wide (2" of seam allowance on both sides)...I layed both sides of fabric on top of the Climashield to trim. I cut in the taper and trimmed that as well. I started tapering down 24" from the top down to the footbox of 38" (again, seam allownance. I ended up with 50" wide at top, 36" wide at footbox, and a 70" length.)
I pinned in the grosgrain loops at the mid section of the quilt, inside the fabric, as I would be inverting the fabric so the insulation would be inside, and the seams would be clean.
The only seam I hemmed on the outside was the footbox, where I rolled it over 2x and created a channel for the shock cord. I would do this differently the next time around I think. I should have trimmed the Climashield better at the footbox, which would have made sewing the hem much easier. Overall it does not look that bad, just not as good as I would want. I then sewed on the velcro at the footbox. If I were to do this again, I would sew this on the bottom side before joining it all together to create a cleaner look. Black thread on camo looks fine I guess.
I then layed it out on the floor, with my daughter and I both testing it out. She swims in it, but shes only 10 :) I am 5'6", 160lbs - and it seems to fit me well.
I decided against a shock cord channel at the neck. Partly because I was not sure how to do it and make it look good, and partly because I don't think I would like having shock cord dangling around my neck while sleeping. I am either going to sew on a simple grosgrain/velcro attachment, or find a snap of some sort. Also I would consider just doing a couple snaps instead of velcro at the footbox on the next one. I have not weighed it yet, but I am guessing somewhere in the 12-14oz range at most. I rolled it and set it beside a bottle for size representation. It could be compressed quite a bit more I think in a bag.
Overall I am happy with the project. I spent $85 which included a bunch of stuff I will use over and over again. It took me 5-6 hours, and I learned a lot. Next time I will need to take a little more time, learn to use the sewing machine a little better, and plan an overall better construction. Was a fun and useful first DIY project tho.
Thanks for all of the ideas and support from this forum!