Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » "Modifying a pack" question: how to remove webbing from a pack?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
"Modifying a pack" question: how to remove webbing from a pack? on 05/30/2011 22:58:35 MDT Print View

No projects to start right now, but after seeing several recent modifications (like Brian Hall's mod on a Granite Gear Adventure Travel pack), I'm wondering: How do you cleanly remove features from a pack, like webbing straps or a top lid or front pocket that have been sewn to the pack?

Do you cut the material/strap close to the seam and try to remove it from both sides of the seam?

Do you cut the seams, remove the material and then resew the seam?

I have no sewing experience and no real idea how the various pieces of fabrics are attached, much less detached!

Just curious . . . .

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
removing webbing on 05/30/2011 23:26:16 MDT Print View

If the material isn't bartacked on, it's as simple as using a seam ripper to pull the seam(s) apart. Tedious, but straightforward.

Deconstructing bartacks is another realm of joy. I slit both sides of the tack with a razor, cutting thread only, then yank it up and apart and finish off the work with a seam ripper. This can be a true pain.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: removing webbing on 05/31/2011 07:44:38 MDT Print View

yeah - get seam ripper from local fabric store - most important piece of sewing equipment : )

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Small Ends Useful on 05/31/2011 09:29:10 MDT Print View

I tend to leave an inch of webbing in the seam after cutting it off. It is easier than seam ripping and I can easily sew something to the web end later if I get an idea of something I want to try. I might want to attach a bag or buckle or something like that later.