MYOG Pack Durability
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

Locale: PNW
MYOG Pack Durability on 05/30/2011 19:42:35 MDT Print View

I'm putting the finishing touches on my first MYOG attempt, a medium volume pack made from 200d oxford. I'm finding myself pretty worried about a failure in the field. I didn't use a pattern, just examples from here and other sites. Even though I know my bartack, grossgrain, etc is probably the same as the next guys, are there any words of wisdom for a double check before I head out? I've weighted the pack with overnight gear and jogged around a bit, and other than the need for better compression (lesson learned), I'm relatively happy with the carry. Thanks

BTW- First trip will be an overnighter of short distance, so it isn't a life or death deal, more of a dignity thing :-P

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: MYOG Pack Durability on 05/30/2011 20:00:14 MDT Print View

If you want to avoid failure in the field, you better load it up with about 20% more weight than what you expect to carry, and test it that way.

--B.G.--

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: MYOG Pack Durability on 05/30/2011 20:24:49 MDT Print View

My pack is silnylon but the shoulder straps are sewn to 200d Oxford.

I reinforced the shoulder attachment with grosgrain. I did bar tack through grosgrain and 200d. Then sewed around the perimeter of the grosgrain to transfer the load totally to the 200d. I've used the current version pack for about a year without problem.

You're probably okay without the grosgrain. Inspect it good after each trip.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
My 2 cents on 05/30/2011 20:45:02 MDT Print View

I go through the same worries as you every time I make a pack. How does one determine how light they can go if one doesn't build one light enough to break?

I wear my pack every day going to the gym and hauling groceries home. Bugs and flaws can then be corrected before hitting the trail.

When I do hit the trail I carry spare parts, webbings, etc. to repair things if they fail. It is also fun to experiment with things on the trail and extra buckles and webbings make that a lot easier.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
pack testing on 05/30/2011 23:23:53 MDT Print View

Put the empty pack on the floor, stand on it, and try to rip the shoulder straps off.

Dan Johnson
(Seattle)

Locale: PNW
Ripping off shoulder straps on 05/31/2011 11:46:57 MDT Print View

^
That's exaclty how I tested my construction on my new 2oz MYOG pack.

Walter Carrington
(Snowleopard) - M

Locale: Mass.
Repair kit. on 05/31/2011 11:56:06 MDT Print View

Carry a little repair kit with a little bit of webbing, fabric, needle, thread and small scissors. The most common cause of pack failure is airline baggage handling.