Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
MSR Hubba Troubles
Display Avatars Sort By:
Paul Dalley
(pauldalley) - F

Locale: Gulf Coast
MSR Hubba Troubles on 05/30/2011 18:56:51 MDT Print View

About three years ago I purchased an MSR Hubba tent. Works well. It has been in storage for the past two years. (been car camping). This year I'm going to Isle Royale in August. So I broke out the tent and found that the silicon coating on the rain fly had become soft and tacky. The inside of the fly is tacky and coating comes off on to everything. The fly will not freely slide over anything.

Anyone else had this experience? I have contacted MSR's warranty department, I'll let you know how that goes.

Paul

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: MSR Hubba Troubles on 05/30/2011 19:26:16 MDT Print View

The PU coating is done for. Did you store it in a hot garage? Might be able to get a new fly from MSR.

Ben Wortman
(bwortman) - M

Locale: Nebraska
Warrenty!! on 05/30/2011 20:40:55 MDT Print View

I have heard of others having the same problem. When they contacted MSR, they sent them a new fly.

gavin wenyon
(gavin123)
Storage on 05/30/2011 21:55:46 MDT Print View

I always store my tent fly's and inners in mesh bags similar to ones you get with sleeping bags to eliminate that risk. Even just having them in plastic shopping bags is better than having them compressed and jammed into the factory stuff sack.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
MSR Hubba on 05/30/2011 22:11:18 MDT Print View

As Ben mentioned, this was a common situation with the older PU coated MSR fly. One had to absolutely make sure there was no moisture when stored. MSR has now gone to an alternative fabric.

MSR will replace the fly no charge in this case. There won't be any surprises.

Cody Lebow
(CLebow) - F

Locale: Orange County
fly delam on 05/31/2011 08:07:39 MDT Print View

Happened to me, they sent me a new one.

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Re: MSR Hubba Troubles on 05/31/2011 12:44:32 MDT Print View

Yup, a common problem w/some earlier Hubbas, & covered by warranty.

Storing tents in large laundry bags or some such thing, instead of the stuff sack, & in a cool dry part of your home, will generally help prevent such problems in the future. But these definitely had some problems.

Kurt King
(backinthelab) - F
Thanks! on 05/31/2011 15:48:21 MDT Print View

Paul, I'm so glad I came across this post! I'm in pretty much the exact situation, except that I leave for IR next week! I just emailed Cascade and hope they do reply quickly, I had a trip last month where I woke up in the mddle of the night to drops on my head and thought that I just needed to spray it with some Nikwax. Good thing I found this!

Paul Dalley
(pauldalley) - F

Locale: Gulf Coast
Thanks for the replies. on 05/31/2011 15:51:32 MDT Print View

I did contact MSR today and sent the fly back. Just go to their website. They have a printable form and address to send your fly to. They said that they will replace the fly.

Thanks again.

Paul