Windshell + rain jacket or just rain jacket?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Windshell + rain jacket or just rain jacket? on 06/02/2011 22:11:55 MDT Print View

I think a lot of this is very dependent on the climate you are hiking in. Windshirts are very appropriate in the Alpine and dryer climates like the Intermountain West where I live. Rain Jackets would seem more appropriate in the PNW and East where Rain is much more frequent and it takes longer to dry out due to the high relative humidity.

There are also getting to be some really lightweight rain jacket options out there that really blur the lines between a wind shirt and rain jacket.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Re: Windshell + rain jacket or just rain jacket? on 06/03/2011 07:51:24 MDT Print View

I think it depends only on preferences. I'll take both on all trips unless it's a warm weather trip with no expected rain in nonmountainous terrain.

J Boro
(JBend) - F

Locale: PNW
Rab Boreas on 06/03/2011 12:23:23 MDT Print View

I've been lurking on the board gleaning insights for my summertime kit and figured I'd as might as well share...

For me, I generally ditch the windshirt AND baselayer in favor of the Rab Boreas. I find that it wicks, dries fast, adds a little warmth, and gives adequate wind protection in most conditions.

That being said, I don't ever head above treeline without a hardshell with pit zips (currently the Arc Alpha SL). If the wind really kicks up I open up the pit zips and am usually pretty comfortable.

Edited by JBend on 06/03/2011 12:33:25 MDT.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: hard shell on 06/03/2011 18:00:22 MDT Print View

" i recommend they free themselves from the dogma of the hard shell mafia (insert wink here)"

Up here in the PNW, you don't need a hard shell until you need it. I guess it all depends on your tolerance for discomfort and being cold and wet. One thing on a day hike, quite another on a multi day climb especially in difficult terrain, a situation not totally unknown in the Cascades. ;)